ROA 45 ACP Conversion Cylinder and Black Powder

• Last Post 09 August 2023
Aaron posted this 08 July 2023

Today I had one of those "I wonder" moments on the reloading bench. I got to wondering if the Eras Gone Kerr 44 bullet would work in the 45 ACP case for the Howell ROA Conversion Cylinder. Before I allowed myself to study all the "what's the point" arguments, I measured the base of the bullet to see what the seating depth would be on top of black powder. Basically I filled the case to within .350" with FFFG black powder, seated a .020" wax milk container cookie on top, and seated a cast (.452) Kerr bullet into the case with a press fit. The Kerr bullet had been previously lubricated on the bottom half with homemade Confederate Lube. I applied a standard 45 ACP taper crimp onto the bullet and there it was - all done. Now granted, the whopping 14 grains of FFFG black powder won't set any speed records, but heck, it loads up OK and should be a nice pleasant load to shoot through the ROA/Conversion Cylinder. The overall cartridge length comes out to 1.2" total.

Before I knew it, I had 6 loaded up and ready for a test. I then began to wonder the "why" of the matter and truthfully admit that smokeless is the way to roll with the 45 ACP cartridge. But heck, it's nice to know that the Eras Gone Kerr bullet can work in this cartridge/cylinder version in a pinch.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 08 July 2023

I'm curious what the point of impact will be with these. keep us posted!

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 08 July 2023

I'm curious what the point of impact will be with these. keep us posted!

What range ya want? 15 or 25 yards?

Attached Files

linoww posted this 08 July 2023

mine all hit 6" high at 25 yards with rear sight buried.both 45 acp and 45 colt cylinders. 15 or 25 whatever works, I'm just curious.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 09 July 2023

mine all hit 6" high at 25 yards with rear sight buried.both 45 acp and 45 colt cylinders. 15 or 25 whatever works, I'm just curious.

If the weather holds (no storms), I will shoot them tomorrow..

Attached Files

linoww posted this 09 July 2023

thanks, I'll be shooting mine tomorrow also.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Aaron
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
MP1886 posted this 09 July 2023

I've owned quite a few ROA's and none of them had the correct front sight on them.........talking about the height.  Always has to order another from Ruger.  I wondered about the cartridge cylinder conversion and where it would place it's shot, but then again I shoot all conical bullets from my ROA so as long as the velocities are pretty close between the cartridge load and percussion capped cylinder load they should be pretty close to one another. 

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 09 July 2023

The 14gr FFFG load with the Eras Gone Kerr conical in the 45 ACP brass shot surprisingly brisk. It was no slouch. Impact was 6" high at 25 yards.

The 230gr RNL over 5.5gr of True Blue shot, 8" high at 25 yards.

Targets are below.

14gr. FFFG and Kerr Bullet. POA is red dot.

5.5gr of True Blue with 230gr RNL. POA is bottom of ruler.

Target was spun 180 degrees between different bullets. FUN!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
linoww posted this 09 July 2023

not bad at all! .thanks for the pics. I shot the $100 cruddy old army today with a sewer pipe bore for the first time.I shot RB and felt wad with FFF Goex to see how bad it would foul.To my surprise I shot 6 cylinders and was smacking the 6" 25 yard gong offhand easily.The bore seems just as dark and pitted as I started but didn't get worse.Thre is hope.Next time I'll throw it on paper. My three other ROA revolvers hit to the sights elevation wise with RB loads, its the conversion cylinders that hit high.It looks like yours is similar. I've owned three others in the past and IIRC all hit pretty close with RB.

here is a muzzle pic to show how dark the bore is

the forcing cone is worse and looks sandblasted.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 10 July 2023

Since you fellows are putting groups up I thought I'd post one with my Pietta 1860.  I apologize for the informal target as it's a Macaroni box. I set it up at 30 yards. That's six shots in that big center hole which is about an inch. The other holes you can were shot from the other side developing a load.  My ROA will out shoot it.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
linoww posted this 11 July 2023

I ran out of food boxes but this is typical old army accuracy with pyrodex P.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Aaron
MP1886 posted this 11 July 2023

My Old Army is so accruate I don't shooting it much anymore, it's boring. I guess I should have piled six more bullets in that macaroni box!!!  You have to admit that 1860 Colt isn't too shabby especially the crude sights on them. 

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 11 July 2023

I shot the $100 cruddy old army today with a sewer pipe bore for the first time.I shot RB and felt wad with FFF Goex to see how bad it would foul.To my surprise I shot 6 cylinders and was smacking the 6" 25 yard gong offhand easily.The bore seems just as dark and pitted as I started but didn't get worse.

It seems to me the BP firearms, especially the very old ones with "cruddy" bores, shoot exceptionally well with BP and lead ball given their rough bore condition. Were they modern guns with jacketed bullets and smokeless cartridges, they would belong to the 20 MOA class!

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 11 July 2023

Yup. They are accurate. Not so much with conversion cylinders however.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 11 July 2023

When I got the Ruger, I was thinking originally of converting it to 36.. But after shooting it. I think I will leave it as is.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
linoww posted this 12 July 2023

My Old Army is so accruate I don't shooting it much anymore, it's boring. . 

I know what you mean. My sporter 1903 shoots 20 shot .25" groups with plainbase pure lead cast bullets at 4500 fps at 200 yards.I intentionally load inaccurate ammo for matches to give others a chance. One day I will put a scope on it to see how good it really shoots! Right now there is No rear site just a front blade. And it's held in the stock with electrical tape as I can't find the action screws!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • pat i.
RicinYakima posted this 12 July 2023

Just because dope is legal in WA, doesn't mean you have to smoke it 24 hours a day! 

Attached Files

Just because dope is legal in WA, doesn't mean you have to smoke it 24 hours a day! 

hehehe...

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 12 July 2023

It dawned on me yesterday that I have a Lee 450-200-1R mold. I cast a few and think it is a much better bullet for the 45 ACP case in the conversion cylinder. It has a full diameter, and shorter shank than the Eras Gone Kerr bullet. I will load up some of these to test and see if they group better than the Kerr bullets. I will be able to get more FFFG in the case as well. I am going to bet that these shoot better groups than the Kerr in the 45 ACP conversion cylinder for the ROA.

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 12 July 2023

I watched a documentary on marijuana last month. Having done that, I will watch all future documentaries while smoking marijuana. cool

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima

The cylinder Throats on my 45 Colt Howells and my ACP Kirst are all .452. Last night I sized up a bunch of HG #46 to shoot in them this weekend.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close