Remington R51

• Last Post 04 December 2020
beagle6 posted this 03 December 2020

Some time ago I asked the membership about the 2nd generation R51. Almost all responses said don't buy one. Not long after I had a chance to purchase one at a ridiculously low price. I thought "what the heck, at that price I can afford to take a chance". It was new in box. In the the first 2 magazines I had 2 malfunctions, one failure to feed and one to go into battery. Since then it has run like a Swiss Watch. It even worked with cast bullets. I haven't totally finished wringing it out, but so far I really like the little gun. I really did appreciate the input from other members of the forum, but the price was too good to pass up. May be I just got lucky.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 03 December 2020

Argie1891, here on the board, bought the first one he saw. He sent it back twice, but it ended up being fixed and works perfectly with the new 2nd Gen magazines.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
GP Idaho posted this 03 December 2020

beagle6: I have two R51s My S.I.L and I each bought one the first day the 2nd gen. were released. Mine cleared up and started to run without issues after a couple of hundred rounds. These little pistols are by FAR the hardest firearm I've ever tried to tear down and reassemble for cleaning. The reason I have two is because after the first attempt at cleaning his the S.I.L said "Here you can have this P.O.S trade it, keep it or give it away, I'm not dealing with this crap."  After about 1K rounds the breech block assembly on mine stubbornly refuses to release from the frame so I just lock the slide back, clean the barrel and then take the slide off the frame and spray clean the inside of the slide and frame and call it good. I really don't have anything good to say about the R51. Mine fired out of battery once when new and blew out a case at the web knocking the magazine out of the frame but no further damage so they must be tougher than I'd of thought. I'd feel guilty selling them to anyone so guess I'm stuck. Ok rant over back to your regular programming.  Gp

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 03 December 2020

GP

I will sure agree that they are tough to disassemble for cleaning.

beagle6

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 04 December 2020

I have had mine for over a year and it has never failed to fire or eject the case.  Looking at a couple of videos on the internet helps with the takedown and reassembly. Started using powder coated bullets and jacketed bullets and they run a lot cleaner than with my cast and my lubed bullets.  

Mine is a second gen R51

Attached Files

Close