Ok let's be honest about this. If you only had one bullet mold for 38/357 cal. For revolver or lever gun, for plinking, hunting,etc. What would it be. With gas checks or plain base. ?? I think mine would be the Lyman 358156....
Only one mold ??
- 805 Views
- Last Post 05 August 2023
- Topic Is Solved
Lee 6 cavity 125 flat round nose. I don’t like that it’s that light but it’s accurate, makes a lot of bullets, and works in the 9mm as well as the others.
I second delmarskid. My most used mould for 38/357.
Doubt it. Not everyone needs several molds for only one caliber. I have 6 different 38 molds. But I only use one. No doubt be getting rid of the others..
358429 hollow pointed by Eric. I like his inset bar system.
My favorite 38/357 mold that I have is a Lee 358-158-RF that was covered to hollowpoint by Erik Ohlen. It casts well and is accurate in all my 38/357 revolvers. If I could add a second mold it would be a 148 grain wadcutter.
I'm going back to only two molds. Only one of I find a 170 gr 38/357 mold. Got one to sell?
That ought to please Skeeter!
Its going to be a long winter!!!!
Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.
A late production Lyman 357446.
Just to be different. I have a handful of them with the big front driving band, plus I'd like to avoid gas checks if at all possible.
Mine is the 358156. I powder coat them and don’t use a gas check….. But then I have a very nice 358429 that I would like to send to Eric for the hollow point treatment.
Just looked at my spreadsheet of molds and I have 64 different .357"-.359". Yes I am a collector, some may say hoarder, but what do they know.
I've never met a mold I didn't like.
The best thing is that when I find a new mold I've got to find a gun to go along with it. Sounds good to me.
Choose one, you've got to be kidding.
David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .
Man does not live on one Mmold alone! lol
These I already own, I'm soon selling the rest:
- .38 Special: Lachmiller 38-148-WC (Plain base)
- .38 Special: RCBS 38-150-SWC (Plain base)
- .357 Magnum: RCBS 38-162-SWC (gascheck)
Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest
- All Categories
- General Polls
- Contact Us w/ Forum Issues
- Welcome to The Cast Bullet Association Forum
- Bullet Casting
Guns and Shooting
- AR Platform
- TC Contenders & Other Single Shot Handguns
- Informal Matches & Other Shooting Events
- Gunsmithing Tips
- Gun Cleaning & Maintenance
- Benchrest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Military Bench Rest Cast Bullet Shooting
- Silhouette Shooting
- Postal Match Cast Bullet Shooting
- Factory Guns
- Black Powder Cartridge
- Hand Guns
- Lever Guns
- Single Shot Rifles
- Bolt Action Rifles
- Military Surplus Rifles
- Plinkers Hollow
- Buy, Sell or Trade
- Other Information & Reference