Old technology meets new technology

  • Last Post 10 June 2019
Fitzpatrick posted this 28 May 2019

Im working on getting a load for a AR-15 chambered in the 358 Yeti using a paper patched bullet weighing from

250 gr. to 300 gr. with a velocity of around 2000 fps. 

I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested

Attached Files

  • Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 28 May 2019

Certainly, I am interested.  A great "Blast from the Past" type of load!

Attached Files

  • Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 28 May 2019

Ooooooooooo.  not too different, I would assume, than an AR-10 in .358 Win.

GOOD choice!


Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 May 2019

I'm looking forward to your experiments!

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 28 May 2019

I am currently working on a 357 Herrett in a BSA Model 12 and while I can't run the pressures that your Yeti can I will be very interested in your results. Especially with the heavier cast bullets. Good luck with your project. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 29 May 2019

Squid boy funny you should mention the 357 Herrett I just finished working with my herrett in the contender super 14 in. I was using a 295 gr. RN and  4198 with win.large rifle primers my first ladder test was 16gr .moving up to 24 gr. with the best group at 22 gr.

second ladder test was 20 gr. moving up to 29.5 gr. again best group was at 22gr. but to be honest after 25 gr. the recoil had me flinching so bad i couldn't have shot a good group to save my life 

22 gr. of H 4198 was giving 1425fps and 1 in.groups at a 100 yd. 

If you would like to try some of these bullets i'll send some to try i have plain base ,gas checked or paper patched which ever you like

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 29 May 2019

I shot the 357 Herrett in a 10" Contender for metallic silhouette and it was very accurate with a 200 grain Hornady RNSP and 23.9 grains of H-110 and it was a handful for 40 shots. My new project is a small frame Martini in that caliber but not loaded up to Herrett specs. I don't want to hijack your thread so I will send a PM. Thanks, Squid Boy 

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 02 June 2019

I started my quest this week with disappointment around every corner.My first choice of bullet was a 294 gr, RN that proved to be very good in the 357 Herrett being a straight sided bullet it paper patched easily ,after rapping 50 I made a dummy round to start working on the fit to chamber in the 358 yeti and in order to get it to chamber I had to seat the bullet further in the case than I like .

Next problem after getting over all case length established when I tried loading the magazine and letting the bolt close it was stripping   the first layer of patching, so to fix that problem I mixed some graphite in with my white label lube and had to seat bullet another 50 thou. in the case which solved the loading problem but when I got to the range to try them out accuracy was not what I am looking for 4 in.groups @ 100 yds.

so upon returning home i went to NOE website an order my next choice a 250 gr bullet with a slight taper to it.and ww will try again this coming week





Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 10 June 2019

 Got some bullets cast, the mould drops bullets weighing around 245 gr. and .360 in diameter so i sized them down to .355 so when i patch them they end up at .361 at the driving bands and the nose being at .352 which will work great in the magazine with case length being 2.300 max 

loaded the case up with 28.5 gr. of H-4198 and 25 cases formed from 308 lake city brass and the other 25 from star-line 308 match small primmer and set to to the range to test mainly for function in the AR platform all fifty ran with out a single jam or failure to feeding groups around 2 1/2 in for all fifty ,Velocity was from 1845 to 1895 with no sign of high pressure on either batch ,next I'll sort some bullets buy weight and try to a ladder test and try to improve on group size 

Attached Files