• Last Post 18 April 2023
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 08 April 2023

32 US Revolver Co

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Found this toy today at a reasonable price.  TIGHT, great bore.  Caliber 32 something?  Made sometime?  SN 280xx.  US Revolver Co.  Made in USA

Suggested loads?

Attached Files

did some looking  1910-1935 likely earlyish.   32 S&W  US  Revolver was a brand of Iver Johnson.

Loads?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 April 2023

It was a brand name for Iver Johnson firearms and cycle works. Reported that they were all made for smokeless powder, but I don't know if proofed. Most were center fire 32 S&W with a few 38's. I shoot my H&R's with 1.5 grains of Bullseye with an 85 grain round nose. FWIW.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer

Thanks, Ric, that gives me a starting point!

T

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 08 April 2023

Very nice looking! That will be fun to load for and shoot.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Very nice looking! That will be fun to load for and shoot.

Just ran a brush through it -- near perfect bore! 

Might have to cut down my 32 H&R brass as S&W brass is scarce as hen's teeth.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 08 April 2023

My Dad had one that looked identical to the picture and was stamped Iver Johnson.  Pretty had to hit with.  Once saw him shoot at a stick floating in our pond -- missed the pond.

I decided it should be great for shooting some air holes in the bottom of our 55 gallon burn barrel. Heard the first shot cut through the bushes behind me.  It did make a pretty good dent. One of many reasons I consider myself a lucky cuss, even if not too smart sometimes.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Glenn R. Latham
Lucky1 posted this 08 April 2023

I was at my friends farm when he presented a 32 revolver like that and said, "Give this a try". The target of choice was a 55 gallon burn barrel lurking nearby. 3 dents but no ricochets later (John's experience noted), I gave up and decided that the 32 S&W had rightfully earned it's reputation for being anemic. Fun but not willing to use it for engaging a rabib racoon in the dark. My 22lr at least penetrated a burning barrel with no problem.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander

I have no delusions of the level of power of the 32 S&W.  For serious social purposes the 32 Federal mag is a much better choice.  but for a cool pop-gun...

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 08 April 2023

My uncle had one of those old top-break revolvers in 38 S&W. It was great fun to shoot. We tried it on a fence post and it barely buried the bullets in the wood. You have a fun little pistol. Use soft bullets and a light charge of Bullseye.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • Bud Hyett
JimmyDee posted this 08 April 2023

...shooting some air holes in the bottom of our 55 gallon burn barrel. Heard the first shot cut through the bushes behind me.  It did make a pretty good dent.

Reports like this remind me that the low-velocity loads we frequently use come with some increased risks.  I've had a 38 SPL projectile bounce off seasoned oak and come right back to me.

"Be sure of your target and what's behind it" needs elaboration: be mindful of your target back, don't shoot at round objects, and don't shoot into corners.  And, from my experience, beware of hunting partners shooting rabbits near stone walls.  What else?

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 10 April 2023

This is definitely an I.J. product. The hammerless version as scene here was only made in .32 & .38 S&W, with the .38 having a slightly larger frame. The hammer versions were also made in .22 rimfire. The main difference between these and the similar IJ's of that time period, was that the U.S. revolvers did not have the "hammer the hammer" safety triggers now so commonly found on semi-auto pistols today. They were all made for smokeless powder ammo.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 15 April 2023

Ooooo Ooooo Ooooo!  FOUND a 100 rds of new brass.  Coming soon!  Now to sort through the moulds...

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 18 April 2023

00 buck sized down from .330 to .309 (will get .314 sizer soon).  38 S&W

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • singleshot
Close