My New to Me, Old .32 Popgun

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 27 December 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
Ed Harris posted this 12 August 2023

Latest find is a S&W Model 30, transitional I-frame snub in .32 S&W Long. I-frame cylinder is 31.5mm long vs.  35mm for my Model 30-1 J-frame. Gun weighs 18 ozs. vs. 19 ozs. for the J-frame 30-1. Cylinder gap on this one is pass 0.004" / hold 0.005". Cute little bugger.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

How do you attach photos? Unable to do so from my Android phone....

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 12 August 2023

I had to click on "desktop sight" optiom in order to attach. Before that it didn't allow me to see the little picture logo.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Thanks!

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 12 August 2023

Nice. Thats been sitting in a box in a closet for a long time

Attached Files

Yes, it has. Amazed it went so cheap. Normally older Smiths in this condition go for about twice what I paid for this one. I think the answer is that most people looking for a .32 don't want a snubby, and most people looking for a snubby for concealed carry want a .38 Special. As for me I use a .32 for the same purposes that "normal people" would carry a .22 for. Woods walking and recreational shooting.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 13 August 2023

hell of a pocket size trail pistol!

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
ten-mile posted this 13 August 2023

About 40 years ago I got a 30-1 and machined the top strap for a M34 rear sight.  In addition I copied the front ramp off my 34-1 and attached it to the barrel.  It has been my favorite all-purpose handgun ever since.  It looks exactly like a 34 so I call it my ".32 Kit Gun".  I love the 32s and have a pile of both revolvers and rifles.  I think my "Kit Gun" is about 4 times as effective as a .22 on porcupines, raccoons, big snappers, etc.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 August 2023

guys ::  never never sell a gun ... even if it seems to be the " right thing to do " ...

years ago ( like 23 years ago ) i had a mint SW15 ... 38 Special ...   so sweet ...

being as I am not really much of a handgun guy, and being i had the range covered with my 1960 Ruger 22 Standard, my Beretta 92S, and my Ruger Single Six and for the weird end my Astra 400 upgrader ... I obeyed my intylligence and sold the M15 for some useless green paper cuttings ...

I have now missed 23 years of what could have been ... loading, shooting, cleaning ... and maybe even better just looking at and fondling that piece of humanities peak of artcraft ...

sigh.   I named it Rosebud ...

Attached Files

JohnForrest posted this 14 August 2023

I am super proud to say I have every single gun I have ever owned. I had to buy one back a few years ago that I sold while a silly high school kid but it's back now. 

The OP got me interested in 32's writing about rook guns and walking around guns. I think the new 30 super carry could of been  a nice round for a walking around rifle but I am afraid it is loosing traction and no one is going to offer it in something respectiable to target shooters. I did try out the Hi Point carbine in 30 super carry and must admit if you just focus on the target and not the gun it's pretty nice. It has me thinking about a stub barrel project. An old 303 barrel or two would be just perfect.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Ed Harris posted this 14 August 2023

If not doing the work yourself to save money, consider not doing the stub conversion, but have a complete barrel fabricated and fitted so you can keep the original shotgun barrel as a combo. Yes, this is more expensive, but cost is much less than a used lever rifle and lots more versatile. John Taylor is the Guru of the Bunny Gun.

Attached Files

wcp4570 posted this 19 August 2023

I also like the lowly little 32.  I have a 1903 32ACP, an I frame hand ejector 32 Long and a Ruger single six 32 mag.  I'm watching a few Smith 30 and 31 on Gun Broker hoping to find a deal like Ed found but so far nothing.  Went to a local gun show today and it turned out to be dealers with new guns and to many jewelry and perfume dealers, and only a hand full of private sales so no luck there.  On the way home I stopped by a couple of pawn shops and low and behold one had a S&W 30-1 in the gun counter.  The asking price was $300.00, it had a chip missing on the left grip panel and one scratch on the right side.  I offered $300.00 out the door and the lady took my offer to my surprise.  Got it home and gave it a good cleaning and I'm proud of my purchase today.  Here a couple of pictures.  

wcp

Saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ, USAF Retired, Viet Nam Vet, Retired Texas school district (technology service & support), NRA Life member, Certified Air Frame and Power Plant Mechanic, Reloader since the early 1970's, Dedicated to experimenting & launching all kinds and calibers of Cast bullets, Camping Hunting and Fishing in my spare time.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • EVR_Forge
Larry Gibson posted this 19 August 2023

My M30 is a 3" one also.  I've found it a very pleasant revolver to shoot.  Gotta love the 32 S$WL also.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 20 August 2023

A .32 sure beats the heck out of any .22.Them little J frame you put in your pocket and forget it's there....until needed!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • EVR_Forge
  • Bud Hyett
9.3X62AL posted this 28 October 2023

The 32 S&W Long cartridge was the caliber that got me into bullet casting.  A S&W Model 31-1 x 3" was the arm, and its accuracy created a monster--I now own a number of 30 and 32 caliber side iron, both rollers and bottom-feeders.  Queen of the fleet is a S&W Model 16-4 x 6".  RCBS #32-98-SWC in 32 H&R Mag cases with enough WW-231 to prompt 900 FPS is its pet load.  It has run Lyman #313631 to 1300+ FPS with accuracy, but the sharp report is as unpleasant as the Ruger Blackhawk x 30 Carbine with full-snort loads.  It's not a good idea to crank these off in fault zones--they could set off earthquakes.  

Attached Files

Bill*B posted this 31 October 2023

Ed, that's a pretty pistol.  I'll bet that it's a perfect fit in your jacket pocket. Enjoy!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
Ed Harris posted this 01 November 2023

Yes it is. Shoots to the sights too!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 01 November 2023

Hello Ed,

You make me drool every time you put one of these old Smith.32's on the forum. Keep them coming.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ed Harris posted this 02 November 2023

I have as extra now a 4-inch Colt Police Positive in .32 NP. This needs to ship from my FFL dealer to yours. PM me if interested. I can take better photos, these were just quick and dirty with phone.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Green Frog posted this 27 December 2023

About 10 years or so ago I bought my ca 1950 HE 32 Transitional I frame snub.  I had owned an old pre War Regulation Police and a couple of other revolvers in 32 over the years, but this spoke to me unlike other guns and got me started down the 32 rabbit hole in earnest.  I love the fact that it is a leaf spring gun like it’s larger siblings and it that conceals great… in fact, I can’t find the thing since I seem to have concealed it from myself! 
Froggie

Attached Files

Close