Making 32 SLR brass

• Last Post 01 November 2022
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 29 October 2022

I've acquired a Martini Cadet in 32 SLR sized with 30 carbine.  SO I'm playing with making brass for it, first thought is to use 223 brass trimmed and sized.  Rim is a few thou small (0.015) but other cases of same rim size function with the extractor.  So I'm beginning by sizing dwon the 223's.  Shown is a 221 case sized down a ways.  Next wit be either swage further or lathe turn to correct ID (IF the wall thickness is ok).

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Urny posted this 30 October 2022

That will be an entertaining project that hopefully we can follow along from afar. My own experience with cartridge conversions is pretty shallow, but I hope to learn from reading about what you and others accomplish.

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 30 October 2022

Why does it look like the case is split or cut just above the case head? Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 30 October 2022

You would be better off to swage it down. You can do that reasonably with normal presses available so long as the full diameter die body is used. Do not depend on the step down at the base of a normal sizing die.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 31 October 2022

Good answers, and the info is very useful for several other martinis that I have.  this one was VERY nicely re barrelled and refinished (new wood) to a standard 300/308 bore to an odd wildcat.  the cases used were the .32SLR sized down with a 30 carbine die. 

THANKS,

Tim K

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 31 October 2022

Ran these 2 through the bandsaw.  looks like sizing as far as possible (short of not using the shell holder) might well work.

I'll also try on another press (where I have an eject lever mechanism for driving the case out of the die.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 01 November 2022

I get the same bulge making 308x1.625 from  308 or '06 brass. But not that bad. I rebated my sizing die a little so it does't scrape.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 November 2022

I get the same bulge making 308x1.625 from  308 or '06 brass. But not that bad. I rebated my sizing die a little so it does't    scrape.

I'll see if I have another sizing die - the one I used was with the carbide insert!  That may also help in sizing down further without using the shell holder (and of course using a knockout pin).

Attached Files

Close