Linotype for 243 bullets

• Last Post 03 July 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
2frogs posted this 02 May 2023

Anyone use straight linotype for cast bullets? How do they shoot? Do you powder coat or just use lube. These will have gas checks. I know some say it's a waste of time. I'm after after accuracy

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mal in au posted this 02 May 2023

I only use Lino,albeit 20 bn not 22, I got a supply of used type which also has spacer material as well it appeared to be a bit softer , when tested found it to be 20 bn. I use a GC and tumble with Lee alox diluted with pure gum turpentine. Just a light varnish type of coating. Best results so far just on a MOA in my .308. 30 gns of Varget, ADI cases win. primers. Have used this metal in .303,.22 .357, with good results as well. A mate uses it in his 30 BR ,.243 should be no problem.    Cheers Mal in au.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 02 May 2023

You might want to review the match results for the caliber you mentioned.  The load information is quite likely to answer your questions.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Aaron
Larry Gibson posted this 02 May 2023

Suggest, instead of the straight linotype, use it to make #2 alloy.  A much more suitable alloy.  For my match bullets, albeit 30 XCBs and 314299s,  I use #2 alloy made with linotype and WQ the bullets out of the mould.  The alloy is more malleable,  does not chip and ends up with a BHN of 20 +/-.

LMG 

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 02 May 2023

I, too, have found that Lyman #2 made from lino and pure lead to be an excellent alloy for CBA match shooting.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Bud Hyett posted this 02 May 2023

This may have been the quirk of the individual gun, but my 6mm BR shot best at 2200 feet-per-second with monotype. When I ran out of monotype, I used water-dropped linotype with a Brinell hardness of 28 to 30. 

When I lived in Illinois, there was a junkyard in Genoa that provided a 94Pb/4Sb/2Sn alloy at a reasonable price. This alloy worked well in pistol and rifle bullets up to 1700 feet-per-second velocity. Heat-treated in water straight from the mold, this alloy will go to linotype hardness for higher velocity cast.

I've got a good supply of cast 6mm bullets gaschecked and lubricated. Once Large Rifle primers are back in reasonable and economic quantities, I want to to go back to experiment with them. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
RicinYakima posted this 02 May 2023

When linotype was commonly available, I made all of my match bullets with it, both 30/06 and 45/70. As long as the mould wasn't too hot or the alloy too hot, you can make 99% perfect bullets. The 30's were shot at 1450 f/s in a 1903 Springfield and was used to win two national championships. The 45's were shot in a trapdoor at 1050 f/s and set two national records that lasted about six years.

I would never use these for hunting bullets, as they break apart on impact of anything hard.

FWIW

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 30 June 2023

I am getting my best accurate bullets from straight linotype from roto metals. 243 using the NOE 105 gr bullets with gas checks. Velocity 1411 fps/ 7.0 grain of 700 x powder. Can't figure how to post a picture. But at 100 yards I can do 10 shots in 3/4 inches. I know,much faster the groups start to open up.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
MarkinEllensburg posted this 30 June 2023

2frogs .75" ten shot groups would be competitive in Hunter Rifle.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Bud Hyett posted this 30 June 2023

I am getting my best accurate bullets from straight linotype from roto metals. 243 using the NOE 105 gr bullets with gas checks. Velocity 1411 fps/ 7.0 grain of 700 x powder. But at 100 yards I can do 10 shots in 3/4 inches. I know, much faster the groups start to open up.
Congratulations! This is a great shooting load. You're causing me to return to the 6mm once Large Rifle primers become more available and cheaper.
What are you sizing these bullets at? 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 30 June 2023

If you can shoot two consecutive .75" ten shot group for a two group aggregate you would have won first place in seven out of the nine classes at the 2022 CBA nationals as well as breaking the current record in Hunting Rifle Class by a whooping .207".

How are your two group averages?

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • linoww

I'm sizing 244. Using large pistol primers. Thinking of trying 2400 to get a little more velocity of the accuracy will stay

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

Stays pretty much the same with two groups. I want to see what it does at 200 yards. I'm sure the velocity will drop off a lot..

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 30 June 2023

Using large pistol primers. - Are you having any possible trouble igniting the powder? 

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 30 June 2023

Large pistol primers will give plenty of fire, even for 2400.  I've been using them (WLP) for decades the 30-06 for CB loads.

Glenn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • linoww

No issue at all

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 30 June 2023

What rifle are you shooting?  Has any special work been done on it such as bedding, throating, or bore treatment?

Any additional information will be appreciated.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
linoww posted this 30 June 2023

My father was in the newspaper industry. For the first 10-15 years I cast bullets all I had was rotten "too hard" "so brittle it just came apart when it hit paper "free linotype. Besides muzzle loader round balls and minies I used it in everything.I did not feel at a disadvantage being linotype rich.It shot fine in rifle and pistol.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 30 June 2023

Take heed what Larry Gibson said, don't shoot straight Linotype. The part he didn't tell you, and I think it knows about it, it Linotype will eat your throat out faster then jacketed, especially in overbore calibers.  This is especially true at the higher velocities.

Attached Files

Only thing I did was lighten the trigger and add a single shot follower.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 01 July 2023

"Linotype will eat your throat out faster then jacketed"

HUH..

not true on linotype washing throats.its when people shooting linotype at high velocity and the powder is washing the throat. if it was my 308 Remington 700 with 30,000 plus linotype bullets at about 1600 fps the throat would look like a funnel.But it's just fine.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Alexander
Show More Posts
Close