Hodgdon 116

• Last Post 6 days ago
  • Topic Is Solved
Lee Guthrie posted this 2 weeks ago

Several years back I picked up at a gunshow a sealed 8# cannister of Hodgdon 116 powder (still sealed).  The label had been glued over a 110 label, BUT the data was the same.  I've never opened it, but due to the current shortage system I'm looking at the black bleach bottle container and wondering.  I cannot find much (anecdotal at that) data online, and Hodgdon web site does NOT list it in their burn rate chart.  If there is a way to get the Hodgdon web site to give me  some details about this powder I'd sure appreciate finding out\ how.

I have heard that it is slightly slower (how much ???) than H110, and that about the same time a Hodgdon 108 came out that is slightly faster than H110.  Was this a non-cannister bulk powder that escaped from its intended manufacturer recipient?

Since I'm more than a little leary of experimenting with an unknown powder I'm looking at either using it in my garden, OR selling it online for a ridiculous amount of money (since it appears that new loaders will pay about anything for components.) 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 2 weeks ago

Yep, left over from loading M1 carbine ammo for the RVN troops. Military ball is loaded for specifications, not by weight like commercial ammo. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Lee Guthrie
Squid Boy posted this 2 weeks ago

You could always e-mail Hodgdon about it to see what they have to say. It would be interesting. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Lee Guthrie posted this 6 days ago

I anticipate being ignored by them.  Might try it just to see if I'm right.

Attached Files

Lee Guthrie posted this 6 days ago

Mystery solved, kind of.  Hodgdon confirmed that it was a surplus or bulk powder intended for reloading .30 carbine and 7.62x39.  Their max load appears to be 1 to 1.5 grains more than H110 in .30 carbine with 110 grain FMJ.

They also confirmed that H108 was also a surplus powder and gave a few loads for it.