Hodgdon 116

• Last Post 07 April 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Lee Guthrie posted this 05 April 2021

Several years back I picked up at a gunshow a sealed 8# cannister of Hodgdon 116 powder (still sealed).  The label had been glued over a 110 label, BUT the data was the same.  I've never opened it, but due to the current shortage system I'm looking at the black bleach bottle container and wondering.  I cannot find much (anecdotal at that) data online, and Hodgdon web site does NOT list it in their burn rate chart.  If there is a way to get the Hodgdon web site to give me  some details about this powder I'd sure appreciate finding out\ how.

I have heard that it is slightly slower (how much ???) than H110, and that about the same time a Hodgdon 108 came out that is slightly faster than H110.  Was this a non-cannister bulk powder that escaped from its intended manufacturer recipient?

Since I'm more than a little leary of experimenting with an unknown powder I'm looking at either using it in my garden, OR selling it online for a ridiculous amount of money (since it appears that new loaders will pay about anything for components.) 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 05 April 2021

Yep, left over from loading M1 carbine ammo for the RVN troops. Military ball is loaded for specifications, not by weight like commercial ammo. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Lee Guthrie
Lee Guthrie posted this 07 April 2021

Mystery solved, kind of.  Hodgdon confirmed that it was a surplus or bulk powder intended for reloading .30 carbine and 7.62x39.  Their max load appears to be 1 to 1.5 grains more than H110 in .30 carbine with 110 grain FMJ.

They also confirmed that H108 was also a surplus powder and gave a few loads for it.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Squid Boy posted this 05 April 2021

You could always e-mail Hodgdon about it to see what they have to say. It would be interesting. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Lee Guthrie posted this 07 April 2021

I anticipate being ignored by them.  Might try it just to see if I'm right.

Attached Files

Close