IMR4831, no, the original one.

• Last Post 12 June 2023
JeffinNZ posted this 09 June 2023

Today I was gifted 2lb of IMR4831 in opened cans for the .257 Roberts AI I just became custodian of.

The fellow shooter, when I thanked him very much. said "It was a good year.  1956 from memory.  Well, it's not as if it worth much, I only paid $2 each for them."  He's a good guy.  

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Aaron
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Lee Guthrie posted this 09 June 2023

I've got some powder that could be called "senior citizens", but not like that ............  

From the looks of those cans I cannot imagine that powder being any good.  BUT

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 09 June 2023

I've got two pounds left  of WWll, 4831 bought from Hodgdon in 1958 (50 pound drum/ $19.95).  I understand it was for 20mm AA guns. It pushes a bullet out of my 270 at the same speed it did then.  But like Lee the cans look better.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 June 2023

Opened both cans and joyous to advise powder is in perfect condition.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 12 June 2023

I still have some surplus 4831 now 80+ years old, works fine in my war survivor 30.06 of the same age.
I have a pound of AL-8 from the 70's it is still OK. I should load some 44's and use it up.
I recently had a keg of DuPont 4895 go bad after only 20 years.

We know how to make good smokeless powder, quality ingredients, remove bound acid after nitration, test for it and wash until it is below detection. Use enough of the correct stabilizer. Not rocket science, but it costs money and the bean counters sometimes get their way.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
Close