Bunny Shoot Spring 2019

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 19 April 2019
Scearcy posted this 27 March 2019

Ken and i are trying a new target this spring. The CBA Bunny Gun postal match is no longer being held so that gave us an opportunity for more variety. Plus the bunny target is more difficult than the groundhog so it is probably more appropriate for 50 yards.

Distance - minimum of 50 yards

Bullet - plain base, no 22LR

Field positions, no bench rest, no attached bipod at 50 yards

Any rifle or handgun, ML included

Any sight (iron or a scope)

We will post again with more details but the process will be very similar to what we have been doing.

I outlined two common paper sizes on the target below. This is because we plan to transmit the target digitally to shooters outside of the lower 48 and printer capability could be important.

65 degrees here today. I am thinking about 50 yard loads.

Jim and Ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Redleged
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Here is the target. Yes that is my stomach at the bottom.undecided

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • Redleged
Fitzpatrick posted this 27 March 2019

do you allow paper patched bullets in these matches?

Attached Files

Sure or powder coated. We don't need too many rules. This is just a fun afternoon at the range where the trash talking is digital.

Jim

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 27 March 2019

Greetings,

I have a ML that needs to be used.  Like the song says,"Put me in coach.  I'm ready to play   the    game."  If the .45 isn't large enough I'll use the .58.  Actually, the .45 has gotten a lot of bunnies.  One of my fondest memories of hunting back at my grandfather's farm was the day I and my older brother worked the grove with our .45 ML's, and we cleaned out about a dozen rabbits.  The grove was L-shaped, and I started out in the corner of the L.  My brother started out at one end, and at his first shot rabbits started moving everywhere, it was all I could do to keep loading and shooting.  With a round ball and 35 grains of FFFG and no shot over 50 yards it was a great 30 minutes.

TK

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 27 March 2019

I'll probably use the .54 flinter with much reduced loads for 50 paces. Can't do any worse than the 200 yd dog shoot.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 27 March 2019

I'm in with multiple guns. Will we be using the NRA Ground Hog target? If so I'll buy a pack. Will we be able to submit completed targets via email picture? It's a bunch cheaper than sending big paper targets via snail mail.

Attached Files

Hi Jeff

We are going to use the Bunny target shown above at 50 yards.

You may submit them electronically as we have this winter with the coyotes. Actually most people of self scoring and just including the score on the tech sheet.

I haven't figured out the cost yet but normally I buy them 100 at a time which cuts the postage from Midway in half. I can likely send you 3-4 in an envelope just about as cheaply as you can buy them unless you buy 100 at a time. Think about it. We will do a cost estimate in the next few days. Costs will be much less than they were for a coyote.

Are you one of our international members. Snail mail costs are prohibitive in that case.

Jim

Attached Files

Bill2728 posted this 27 March 2019

Looks like fun!  Anxious to give it a "shot"!

Bill

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 27 March 2019

i would like to participate in this, how does it work  and what are the rules?

Attached Files

How does it work?

Participants send me the $ for the number of targets they want. We require the money upfront so there is a positive enrollment before targets are distributed. I will mail your target(s) and a tech sheet. 1 target and 1 tech sheet per gun - as many guns as you wish. The cost per target will be $2-$3 each I think - likely closer to $2. This includes mailing.

Shoot your targets (10 SHOTS EACH), score the target, record the guns and load info, plus the score, on the tech sheet. Mail the tech sheet to Ken. His address will be on the tech sheet. At the close of the match, we will distribute scores and tech data to everyone. Part of the fun is seeing what the other shooters are using for guns and loads.

KEN AND I WILL  COME UP WITH THE SCORING FOR THE BUNNY IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS but you can count on any hit having some value. Hits in the two circles on the target will be worth more of course. We usually try to have a max score of 100.

The other pertinent rules are in the first post above.

Jim

Attached Files

I ordered targets today. we should be ready to mail out the first targets in a couple of weeks.

Targets(tech sheets really) due date will probably be either June 1 or June 15. Since Ken is collecting all of the results, he gets to pick the date.

In the past we have limited a scopes magnification for the 50 yard matches. It is my belief that having to shoot from a field position eliminates the advantage of using a scope with higher magnification. 

Jim

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 28 March 2019

Hi Jim!

Will you want us to commit to the number of targets by PM, email, or here in the thread and then send you a check for the number of targets requested? I'm definitely in and will want at least four or five targets. Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 28 March 2019

Dang,

Another shoot to do.  Now which gun! guns.....

As always Jim I'm in. And thank you for all the fun!

Have Hip replacement on the 10th of April so should be healed up to shoot by June.

I'll be looking for the final data so I can send in my target fees.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 28 March 2019

It is my belief that having to shoot from a field position eliminates the advantage of using a scope with higher magnification. 

Jim

It's always nice to be able to see little limbs, grass stems and other stuff that's in the way.... besides being able to identify whether it's a squirrel or it's a branch, bark, nuts, tree trunk etc. Rested positions benefit from seeing what you want to hit well enough. BTDT for over fifty years using loaded down center fires for varmint and small game hunting. Most of the time too little magnification hurts.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 March 2019

let us go for 1 june 19 for the return date ....   that should give us a fat 6 weeks to pot a bunny ....  looking forward to another fun shootout ...

and yes, you can just email me the data sheets if you like.   and i do enjoy the target and rifle pics some of you send along .....   be sure to also post the pics to the bunny gun thread here also !! ...

thanks for the grins !!   

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 28 March 2019

More HOW WILL THIS WORK

The cost for the targets this spring will be $2.00 for the first and $1.50 for each after that.

We will email the tech sheets to you unless you require that they be mailed with the targets.

Email me at [email protected] to let me know that you wish to sign up. If you only express interest in a post on the forum, I may miss you. I will email you my address. Send me your entry fee and I will mail the targets. This is the same process we have been using and it works well.

Jim

Attached Files

I will post a picture of the target with the scoring zones tonight or tomorrow morning.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 28 March 2019

Jim

What if i have a pack of targets left over from the previous bunny match?

Chuck

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 28 March 2019

This is all new to me but sounds like a lot of fun. Like I said, I' in the dark to what is going on. I was on the indoor small bore match team in the army. Our positions were: standing-prone- kneeling-setting. I think it included all four it may have just been three positions. That was too long ago to remember correctly. What I want to know is what are the field positions that will be used? I suppose you are required to have a witness to sign off on you targets.

I hope to participate.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Mashburn

Good questions for the folks who haven't shot with us before.

This is a fun shoot. I really misspoke calling it a match. As a fun shoot, you may score your own target and submit the score with the tech sheet. Look on this as an opportunity to pull out some old friends you have not shot in a while, load them up with plain base bullets and spend an afternoon shooting. The "match" is an excuse for about 40 of us to do the same thing at the same time using the same targets. There are no official winners just personal satisfaction.

We collect tech sheets and share the gun and load data because that is what the CBA does. You will see a variety of light load information.

By field positions, we mean hunting positions. You would not have a bench rest or an F class set up when you were rabbit hunting. They shouldn't be used here either. Cross sticks are fine but we have discouraged bipods attached to your gun in the 50 yard shoots. Trees, tree limbs, fence posts, sitting, prone, slings are all ok. Some shoot prone, many shoot sitting with cross sticks and a few hardy soles shoot off hand (and with iron sights). A wheel chair is fine if you need it. Canes make pretty good rests at 50 yards.

The key here is we do this for fun. You are really only competing with yourself.

As Ken mentioned above posting pictures of your rifle and your targets makes this more fun for everyone. We encourage it but it certainly is not required.

I hope this helps. I should have started this thread with this post. My bad.

Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close