Anyone here play with 6.5 Grendel?

• Last Post 11 January 2022
freebullet posted this 04 January 2022

Mulling on a pair of these for the twins. Any experience shared is appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 04 January 2022

I only load jacketed bullets in my son's Grendel. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 January 2022

... cute little case ... i was thinking about building a Grendel but then found a 6.5 Swede that i can load down ... ....  is there a non-custom 120 grain 6.5 mold available ? ...

funny that Lee doesn't yet offer a standard line mold in 6.5.  i had a couple of 6.5 Lee custom molds .

ken

Attached Files

Spindrift posted this 04 January 2022

NOE offers a 266-126, both in GC and PB. It is designed for the Grendel. I have this mould, it works well in my 6,5x55's.

Another great, light-weight 6,5 bullet is Arsenal 266-92 "Spitzer".

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 04 January 2022

Had two of them played with them extensively. The best bullet I found in cast was the Saeco 140 grain IF  IF IF IF  your barrel has the right bore and groove dimensions for that bullet as you cast it.  If it does then will shoot under MOA at Grendel velocities. 

Attached Files

freebullet posted this 04 January 2022

Thanks! If we dive into this cal we'll likely start with jax, but I figured the velocity may lend itself to some cast plinking loads. The noe mold offerings look reasonable but do still give up the high bc the cartridge enjoys. Left me wondering of others experience with cast in the cal.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 05 January 2022

I have two, an AR platform and a recently purchased Howa mini action. To me it seems to be a great caliber for cbs and I plan to test that theory this spring. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

John Carlson posted this 05 January 2022

I kicked that idea around but went with the 7.62x39, also in the Howa.  Seems a good size case for our velocities.

John Carlson. CBA Director of Military Competition.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 05 January 2022

When my son and I were building AR's, he went with 6.5 Grendel, but I chose 7.62x39 for that reason!

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 05 January 2022

I too also had a 7.62x39 AR15 that I built.  I used my 6.5 Grendel magazines in it.  This was before they came out with a dedicated magazine for the 7.62.  It was exceptionally accurate with Harri's cast bullet he designed. So accurate I'm not mentioning how it shot. It too is a great little cartridge.  Like a fool I sold it and moved on. I have a Yugoslav SKS that's scoped and it's phenomienal with that same bullet at 300 yards.  The SKS is an amazing rifle. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
MP1886 posted this 05 January 2022

I only load jacketed bullets in my son's Grendel. 

Ric I started out with jacketed on the Grendel I had. Amazing accurate.  I had a premium bull barrel on it.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
freebullet posted this 11 January 2022

We have a pair of stag lowers on the way. It seems they may want to be 6.5 Grendels. Thinking lightweight target/deer rifles for the girls. It will take some time to gather parts but they're only 7months old so....

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close