45 ACP

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 17 January 2010
cbshtr posted this 24 March 2007

I have become the owner of over 1000 rounds of 45 ACP, mostly Federal Premium.  The problem I have is that I don't have anything to shoot them in.  I've tried selling them but nobody wants to pay what they're worth, even at 30 % off.  One dealer told me to buy a gun and shoot them.  I was never interested in semi-autos because I didn't feel like chasing brass.  Now that I have the ammo it is starting to kind of challenging.  I don't mind shooting the jacketed ammo but I'm a CB shooter.  My question for all you reading this is what brand semi-auto handgun does a good with cast bullets?  I won't have a lot of money and this semi-auto thing is totally new to me.  I've been trying to read up on the guns but I don't really know what to look for. 

The Kimber and Springfields look like really good guns but $1000 or more is beyond what I'm looking to spend.  Rugers and the new Taurus are affordable but are they shootable and will they hold up for a long time.  I'm open to any suggestions and if the “you get what you pay for” applies to semi-autos then I may just may have to save a little longer.

Once I get a gun then I'll start picking brains about molds and other components.  I'm glad I found this forum because very few people have any clue about cast bullets let alone how to make them shoot.

Bob

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 24 March 2007

Consider a revolver, as in S&W or I believe Ruger still makes some convertables. 1000 rounds will break in you barrel nicely for cast bullets. Ric

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 25 March 2007

Thanks for the idea. That's something I'll have to check into. I kind of had the bug for a semi-auto but at least with a revolver I could use it for hunting in Pennsylvania with heavy 45 Colt loads.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 March 2007

You could also consider one of the Walt Kirst conversion units in .45 ACP for one of the Uberti, Pietta or Armi San Marco Remington cap & ball revolvers. I have a couple of these and they work fine. But if you want to load your .45 ACP on the +P side for hunting, the revolver of choice is a Ruger Blackhawk convertible with the .45 ACP cylinder or my converted 1895 Marlin Cowboy gun which is now a .45 ACP. John Taylor gets $300 for the conversion. You supply the .45 Colt Cowboy rifle. Read the thread elsewhere on the forum about this.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 31 March 2007

If you decide you would like to venture into the world of semiauto 45s, I suggest you check  out the Taurus PT1911.  It has been getting great writeups in the gun mags and I believe it is an outstanding value for the price.  The basic model lists for around $500 and I bought a new one at a gun show not long ago for exactly that price.  They are apparently selling very well and my local gun shop says they have a waiting list and sell every one they get before it hits the display case.  The base model comes standard with most of the features that are usually found on custom 1911s.  I have been very satisfied so far with the one I have and after about 200 rounds (mostly cast bullet loads) it has functioned flawlessly right out of the box.  I have been shooting H&G #68 200 grain SWC bullets cast of wheelweights with both Unique and Bullseys powder.  They seem to feed just fine.  I haven't tested it for accuracy yet from a rest but it seems to shoot as well as my Colt Gold Cup with a two hand hold standing up.

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 April 2007

Bob,

Think about this logically. I assume you either got the ammo free or for next to nothing. You don't own a gun to shoot it in because apparently you never really wanted a 45 ACP revolver and said yourself you don't like autos. So your going to look into spending money on a gun just because you can't get what you think the ammo's worth??

Sell the stuff for what you can get for it and use the money towards something you really want or let it sit until someone gives you a gun to shoot it in.

Pat I.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 01 April 2007

I have been thinking about just selling it lately.  A dealer offered me $10 a box which  is way below what it's worth but it would give probably enough to get a Weaver scope I have my eyes on.  I will seriously consider your thoughts.  I have gotten good feedback and ideas which make me really like this forum.  Nobody around here understands cast bullets.  Thanks again.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 02 April 2007

any decent kimber colt or springfield will do great with cast bullets

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 August 2007

What did you decide to do, inquiring minds want to know?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 08 August 2007

I tried selling the ammo locally with no luck.  So  I'm thinking about either the Ruger Backhawk convertible, Ruger P95 or the Taurus PT 1911.  Financially, things are really tight right now so for the time being I just have to wait and do some more research before making my final decision.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

454PB posted this 09 August 2007

I'm a Ruger guy. Find a P-90 and you'll be happy for less than $500, plus you'll own the toughest .45 ACP made.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 11 August 2007

cbshtr; One more idea that hasn't been mentioned. A dealer who's interested in your ammo has much more latitude when trading. Stock for stock. His asking price for stock can be adjusted easier and your ammo can be more valuable to you both. It's really tuff, laying out cash. You can see this, right? Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Ken O posted this 07 October 2007

I have a bare bones Springfield 1911 that shoots lead just fine, I bought it over 20 years ago and shoot it a lot. I recently bought a Springfield XD45 5"tactical that shoots lead fine also. I have a Glock 21 that hates lead, it keyholes the target, doesnt want to go into battery right etc. Then there is my S&W 625 that doesn't like lead either, I've slugged the barrel and tried everything, but it still leads up. I even bought (gasp) lead bullets and they leaded up also. So I buy jacketed bullet for it. Its my favorite gun also, I shoot it at IDPA matches, I just like revolvers!

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 October 2007

I have heard that Glocks don't like lead due to the polygonal or however you spell it barrels, but a 625?? Never heard of that before.. Mine shoots lead like no tomorrow...

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 October 2007

I have “heard” that the current production S&W barrels made by an electronic discharge machining process foul more when used with lead bullets than cut-rifled barrels. I have no personal experience with the current production S&W barrels, so we still need to get confirmation from somebody on that.

My own 625 is a circa 1989 cut-rifled one and shoots one-hole groups at 25 yards with cast wheelweight 230-gr. lead cowboy slugs lubed with Rooster jacket and 4.5 grs. of Bullseye.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 October 2007

Ed, you got to watch those hot Bullseye loads! My Model 1989 625 will do that with 4.1 grains and Lyman 452423 from WW's + 2% tin, but only with longer than standard cases. Watch for an article in Fouling Shot on my experiences with AR's. (See the picture on the left!) Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 October 2007

Ric,

In the .45 ACP seating depth is critical. The long nosed cowboy bullets intrude less into the powder space than most Keith types. Agree that you must reduce the charges with those unless you seat bullets out.

Attached Files

Ken O posted this 10 October 2007

Ed Harris wrote: I have “heard” that the current production S&W barrels made by an electronic discharge machining process foul more when used with lead bullets than cut-rifled barrels. I have no personal experience with the current production S&W barrels, so we still need to get confirmation from somebody on that.

My own 625 is a circa 1989 cut-rifled one and shoots one-hole groups at 25 yards with cast wheelweight 230-gr. lead cowboy slugs lubed with Rooster jacket and 4.5 grs. of Bullseye.

Ed, there must be something to this, my 625JM is about two years old. I mostly load 452374 RN, but also the Lee 200SWC and H&G130. Mostly White Lable Carnauba Red, but also 50-50, and Blue Angle. I load to a  165PF for IDPA and ISPC. I even tried lubing these all ready lubed bullets with a coating of Lee Alox and they still lead!  My older S&Ws have no problem like this.

I bought a new 637 J-frame a couple weeks ago that was on sale and it eats anything with out leading, who know how long it was at the store.

So, is there something I might try to the barrel like fire-lapping? I am un-familiar with the ED machineing and what it does.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 October 2007

If I were you,I would try to find a cheap well used GI 1911,if you can see the tiny issue sights an do not get hammer bite on the web of the hand  you will enjoy shooting the old war horse.

I love the low thump of bigbore subsonic ammo its controllable recoil and accuracy that for me is better than that other military 9 mm.

The pistol fits my hand like a pair of old boots,but I know that  is very personal.

The only boring thing is collecting brass.Please let us know your decisions,

regards,Giorgio

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 October 2007

Giorgio,

While I agree that the GI M1911s are better than most of the current production clones, even the well-used WWII-era pistols are extremely collectible these days and no longer common or cheap.

A “plain vanilla,” common maker such as Ithaca, or Remington-Rand, WWII-era military pistol marked “U.S. Property” goes for at least $1000. Early “Model 1911 U.S. Army,” National Match or rare variations, or those with wartime British proofs go for several times that.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 October 2007

Your kind but cruelest news on the old 911 pistol prices made me realize that times are passing ,I remember when 20 odd years ago  US GI  911 pistols with new italian barrels by Mr. Piscetta where cheap and plentiful.

Only stron liquors and red wine get better with age.

This morning my gunshop owner showed me a mint 30-40  Krag  Winchester 95 carbine ,the asked price is 4000 Euros,abuot 6000 us$

I too have a 5 inch 625 that I love to shoot with 45 Autorim brass ,

Regards,Giorgio

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 20 October 2007

My nearly new 625-8 JM special will, on demand, shoot under an inch at 25 yards with a variety of loads. I, just for grins, shot one ten shot group offhand at 25 yards on the 25 yard timed fire target that was made up of two different bullets and three different powder charges. It scored a 99!

I have a house full of guns and this is probably the best shooting big bore in my closet. I have no idea HOW the barrel was made but however they did it, they did it right.

Dale53

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 30 October 2007

Well this segment of 45 ACP has come to a close. After not being able to sell the ammo at a fair price and unable to afford a gun to just shoot it up I found a dealer who would buy everything I had. I calculate that I had between $550 and $600 retail value of ammo and I walked away with $160 which was still better than the $120 that another dealer wanted to give me. My wife wanted the ammo gone so I figured it would be a good down payment for a youth sized rifle for my 14 year old daughter. This wasn't exactly the outcome I wanted but the one I have to accept due to the way things worked out. Well, I'm thankful for all the input and conversation this topic stirred. I trust the opinion of cast bullet shooters over that of store owners and jacketed shooters.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

grayowl posted this 10 November 2009

When selecting a 45 ACP, consider will it be a comp gun, just for plinking or a carry gun.  For carry (in my book) you can't beat the 1911 45 ACP.  When I became a department head and could carry what I wanted, I selected a custom Colt 5” 1911 series 70 45 ACP that would feed empty cases, even if it did give some of the deputies heartburn.  Some might think that a 1911 is too big for concealed carry, but I've carried one for over 28 hours straight and would have to press my elbow against the butt to be assured that it was still there.  It was my carry handgun for 15 years until I retired.  Now, as a NC Dept.of Justice CCH instructor and stress Double action only, I got a Para 7-45 LDA.  Check out a Para LDA - it's an excellent shooter right out of the box and has a trigger as sweet as a finally tuned revolver.

You'll find that you will get as much enjoyment out of reloading and casting lead bullets as you do shooting.  For years I used Bullseye and Unique, but have changed to titegroup and AA#5.. If you carry, make your practice reloads match your carry ammo in weight and FPS.  Since I carry Speer 230gn gold dots (at 890FPS giving at PF of 204.7, I cast a Lyman 230 LRN square base and use AA#5.

You'll find there's a lot of good info on this forum and guys that will be glad to answer our questions.

Bruce

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 16 January 2010

i picked up a Springfield 1911 for $500 a few months ago, i load a 200gr SWC cast with 4.5gr of unique, all the brass falls at my feet, or within a foot of where im standing, anything over 5.5gr and im looking in the bushes for my brass

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 16 January 2010

I have a SW 625 as well as Colt 1911 and a Ruger P90 (I used to work for a living). I shoot the Ruger alot more than the other two put together. It is large and clunky but it works and it feels good in my hand. If you really have the semiauto bug the P90 is a relatively inexpensive way to scratch the itch.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 16 January 2010

Late last year, I had an opportunity to pick up a new Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. After reaming both cylinders and having a trigger job done (along with modifying the pawl to make it a “Free Spin Pawl") I now have a wonderfully accurate shooter with both cylinders. Here is a recent group shot off a makshift rest indoors (it has been COLD around here) at fifty feet with the .45 ACP cylinder:

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 January 2010

You are a good shot Dale, that's for sure. I only dream of groups like that. I recently fitted a 9mm cyl. to my Old Model RBH 4 5/8ths. .357. It's a nice tight fit now, just right I think(thanks for the advice), but it's a dog with two loads tried so far, Win. white box ball and a cast handload. I am sure I can improve things, but right now if you hold still you'd be safe at 50 yds. The .357 cyl. is a shooter, by my standards. By the way, do any of you Ruger fans know if they made a factory 4 5/8 barrel OM? The crown on mine doesn't look factory, very dished in, but clean. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 January 2010

Cold around Hamilton???? I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, here it's cold for Ohio. People down the road retired from living in Hamilton, the City of Statues. I have been there. They wear sweaters and turn the heat up.

But that is really great shooting, every now and then I think about getting a M1917 revolver, but never buy one. I like my Kimbers.

From the orginal part of the thread, these days ammo is a sellers market. 1,000 round in my area would be bought for cash on the spot.

Jerry

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 17 January 2010

Jerry; If you are interested in the .45 ACP revolver for shooting, I suggest you get a new 625 for this use. The original 1917 models are a bit “tender” (the cylinders were not heat treated and there have been some cylinder failures).

As I have posted before, I have a 625-6 (5” Model of 1989) and a 625-8 Jerry Miculek Special with a 4” barrel. I have several thousand rounds through this pair. I mostly shoot target loads (200 gr SWC's with 4.0 gr of Bullseye or equivalent) but they will also handle a 255 gr SWC at 900 fps for that deer that has been pestering you...

A truly wonderful gun and caliber combination.

Dale53

Attached Files

Keith posted this 17 January 2010

Curiosity has the better of me as I read through this post. I have recently begun shooting both a Smith 625 and a USFA single action in the 45 auto cartridge. I have watched the comments on this and other forums trying to learn as much as possible about these revolvers for quite some time. If the 45 ACP loaded with a 230 bullet at velocities approaching 900 fps has a pressure of almost 20000, how can a bullet 20 to 30 grains heavier be driven to similar velocities safely? I have also seen claims of higher velocities than 900 fps. I have to say that my shooting is recreational and I am more inclined toward lighter loads but I understand that others would be looking for maximum performance.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 January 2010

Shooting non-self-loaders, allows you to use a slower burning powder that increases the area under the pressure curve. Using A 2400 or AA#7 powder creates a larger volume of gas over a longer period of time to push the bullet faster. Plus with lead bullets you automatically get higher velocity compared to jacketed bullets due to less barrel resistance. Since they are not confined to the length of a magazine, in some revolvers you can load the bullets longer to increase the powder combustion volume and lower pressure. None of this is recommended for the newer reloader, but very practical for the experienced reloader.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 January 2010

I will consider the 625, which lets say that is the M1917 sort of a pistol to me.

I will have to check my local dealer and see what he can get for me. I would want to have a 5” or 6” barrel. I know everything has a price.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

Close