Anyone use a bullet collator?

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 20 June 2012
CB posted this 11 June 2012

I have been working on an attempt to build a bullet collator for my star sizer. I see there are a couple of commercial models out there, but they are big bucks. Anyone got one hooked up to a star sizer?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
LWesthoff posted this 12 June 2012

Jeff:

I was a little confused, so I looked up the definition of collator. Now I'm very confused. Just what do you want this thingamabob to do? (I'm not trying to be a smartass, just admitting I don't know what a bullet collator would do.)

Wes

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 June 2012

A bullet collator has a hopper that take the bullets and orientates them in the same direction, such as base down. There are a couple of commercial versions, one by MA Systems that Magma uses on the lubemaster and another by a fellow tha goes by Mr. Bulletfeeder.com Both are more expensive than I can spend to get it. I am working on one to feed my star sizer to do pistol bullets. There are a couple of videos on you tube that I used as a starting point. I am 3 months into this project and I can say at this point it would be easier to buy one. But it us an interesting project to stretch the brain cells. I will get a link to one of the videos so everyone can go Oooooh! I want one of those!

Attached Files

Here isw a pic of the MA Systems collator used with the lubemaster..

And here is a homemade version

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 12 June 2012

Well that makes a heckuva lot more sense than what I was picturing. After nearly 40 years of bullseye pistol competition, with most every cast .45 bullet having been run through a Star, I was picturing some kind of gadget that would sort the bullets AS THEY CAME OUT of the lube/sizer rather than before they went in. If it's OK, I'll go over in a corner and blush for a little while, now.

Wes

Attached Files

Ah Hell Wes, no need to blush... I was utterly amazed the first time I saw one. So it ate at me until I got up the gumption to try and make one myself. I just may draw up plans and make templates so guys can make their own if they want..

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 12 June 2012

I have an idea,get the Dillon case collator and make a plate out of aluminum that fits your bullet about $250.00 delivered.If you want the best call GSI international in Arizona.Dillon may have a size plate they think will work for your bullet if its 9mm or 38 357-45  dont know about 30 cal or smaller without going to GSI

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 19 June 2012

Sure is noisy and what about damage to the bullets with all that tumbling.But it does look neat though

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 June 2012

The damage is minimal, I get more damage dropping them from the mold than I get running them in the collator, it only turns about 4rpm.. Another reason I chose plastic for the material to make it out of, particularly UMHW and Polycarbonate. I am working at the moment in making the auto-feeder for the star, the bullets from the collator feed via the auto-feeder into the star die. I finished the air pressure cylinder for the star lube reservoir over the weekend. Once I get the auto-feeder completed I will be able to set up the mounting for each of the units and finish the tubes that guide the bullets from each of the individual units.

Should be quite a machine when I get it done.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 June 2012

Well the housing for the auto-feeder is made. I have a couple of the other pieces for it made as well. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow and work on the mounting if it isnt too hot in the shop. Today was a smoker, 97 degrees in the shop made it little tough making the pieces.

To get an idea of what I am doing here is a link showing the auto-feeder on a star sizer.

?v=n8NdY15RstE

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 June 2012

The SYNTRON BOWL FEEDER has done this kind of job at a zillion factories for the last 50+ years. Norm Johnson shoots unlubricated lead pistol bullets as a matter of course.
joe b.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 June 2012

Had not looked at this company, they don't have enough pictures for my liking. But I can see enough to ask for better info. Thanks.

I am building this because I can, not because no one else has done it. To me it is interesting to see and understand how and why something works.

A very challenging project to build when you don't have much to work with in the way of a working unit to copy or plans to work from.

Attached Files

Close