first bullets

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 29 April 2012
45sixgun posted this 25 April 2012

I've been reloading for a few months now, but also lurking on the forum, reading up on casting. Yesterday after work I successfully cast my first bullets. They're for my .357 Blackhawk. I'm using an LBT mold with quick homemade handles. Over the weekend I had tried a thrift store ladle, but it was too big and didn't have any kind of pouring groove. I picked up a small one with a pour groove new for a couple of bucks and it worked perfectly. This is really fun! I have some LBT Blue Lube I'll be using. I also have molds for .44 and .45 to try next.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 25 April 2012

Well, now, there you go! Those are decent bullets, go ahead and try some 44s and 45s. It isn't all that hard and the payoff is right there in your hand.

Good Luck,
       Ron

Attached Files

rwjshooter posted this 27 April 2012

Hi

You'r hooked now

welcome

Ray

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 27 April 2012

When I started I made a pretty good ladle from a table spoon by crimping a pour spout at the tip with a pliers and mounting wood to the handle with wire. Those are some fine bullets. You started with a good mould. Welcome aboard the Pb train!

Attached Files

45sixgun posted this 28 April 2012

Thanks, Guys!

Got my first handgun in October and have been busy learning the ropes.

Here is the result of my last outing. Sure tasted good.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 28 April 2012

45Sixgun; First of all, Congratulations! The bug has bit and the infection will spread! But that is a GOOD thing!

I have taken many a rabbit (both cottontail and snowshoe rabbits) with my centerfire handguns (.32 S&W long, .38 Special/.357 magnum, .44 Special, and .45 ACP). One shot, one kill and no shot to chew on. This is one of the most sporting activities available.

Dale53

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 28 April 2012

Why would anyone kill such a cute little bunny? Isn't there a supermarket near you?

joe b. Sad about the bunny, but 4MY!!

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 28 April 2012

45sixgun, congrats and welcome aboard...your bullets look great and I am envious of your legal ability to hunt with a hand gun...I would love the opertunity to do so! great shooting on the bunny to!...keep the storys and pic's coming my friend!! Jonathan

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 28 April 2012

Joeb33050,you are a di!@ head! can't wait till the mods dump your ass from the site!

Attached Files

45sixgun posted this 28 April 2012

Thanks, Dale52, 1kshooter, and Joe B.

I hope the authorities in Canada can see the light, but sadly I think we down to the south of you are moving in your direction.

Joe B., if your comment was made in seriousness, which seems to be the case, you are a reflection of the mindless liberal way of thinking (or rather, non-thinking) that has spread like a bad cancer throughout the western world. I am a public school teacher and I deal with it all of the time with my students. Fortunately they're still young enough to usually see some sense. Organizations like PETA target young people because they're so impressionable, but fortunately that works the other way too.

We raise goats for sheer enjoyment, for milk, and for meat. The body of evidence is significant showing the inhumane manner in which many of your supermarket animals are raised. I've been by some places that raise cattle and turkeys for food. The animals didn't look too happy. Not to mention the hormones and drugs injected into the animals. Not to mention what they're actually fed. Not to mention the manner in which they are processed.

Responsibly killing an animal yourself is the most humane and healthy way of providing meat for the table. The animal has lived a good life in a comfortable and natural environment. It hasn't been stuck in some pen where it barely has room to stand and has to lie on a pile of crap in a stench that's unbearable. People who think like you, Joe, are sadly ignorant and either unable or unwilling to think clearly about the well-being of animals.

Some of my students under the influence of PETA types have gone vegetarian. I remember one girl who was very unhealthy as a result of it. She admitted her doctor was imploring her to eat meat so she could regain her health. I think being a vegetarian is fine and can be successful if done appropriately. But meat is what most of us eat to provide necessary nutrition, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't bash vegetarians, but I do confront the mindless motivations behind it, when they exist.

Although born an American in America, I grew up in South America. My parents were missionaries. We lived in a very remote area with people who hunted to survive. I grew up that way. These people had nothing in the way of material goods, yet they were happy, healthy, civilized, and had good old common sense. The earlier generations in America, and pockets of people here and there still today, had this same sense. But it seems many of us have “evolved” and become “civilized.” If what I see around me is “civilized” (popular culture, the media, entertainment), then I'd rather remain savage and primitive.

I hope you will take the time to share the rationale behind your comment Joe B. I'm always open to new ideas and to admitting when I'm wrong.

Here are a couple of jacks I took with my .44 Special. They too were fine eating.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 28 April 2012

Joe, It seems that “Trolling” is something you find pleasure in. You are disruptive & by that abusive. I see that you would rather go to the grocery store and have someone else kill your meat. I guess you feel vindicated being twice removed from the killing. I find you utterly lacking in character & credibility not to mention being a self serving sideline opportunist. This is a nice peaceful site with some really great people. Please go away & take your misery, chaos & despair elsewhere. The moderators here are patient & obviously (as far as you're concerned) very forgiving. Get the hint??

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 29 April 2012

:coffee     Ah, a 44 Blackhawk!  Now that's a cut of cloth I can understand.  It's an excellent choice.   I bought one last year at income tax time.  It lends itself to reloading and cast bullets better than most.

Through some trading, brass for bullets, Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullets sent me some Lee 200 grain Round Flatnose bullets.  I had about 250 to experiment with.  I believe the mold is originally for 44-40 but, does 44 special as well.  Using a half sheet of plywood and some printer targets, I found 7.4 grains of Unique to be the most accurate in my flattop.  I use Carnuba Red from lsstuff.com (White Label Lubes).   Anyway, the flattop shoots more accurately at 50 meters than I can! 

The standards in 44 Special set by Skeeter were 7.5 grains of Unique.  It shoots really good anywhere from 7.0 grains up to 8.0 grains and the Unique is a very good, stable powder.  With Ruger's excellent dimensions on the latest flattops and Unique's lack of surprises, this combination is a reloader and caster's dream!  So, even the cheapest of molds will work delightfully.

Local supermarkets here stock vaccuum packed quail dinners.  Rabbit and venison are delicacies.   Rabbit is good, if a person has ever tried it.

Good Luck,

Ron

PS: don't forget to scrub all the copper from the revolver before going lead, it gathers lead and lube if you don't.

Attached Files

Close