800 X for subsonic loads?

• Last Post 12 March 2024
RustyZipper posted this 02 February 2024

I am wanting to know if anyone uses 800 X for bullets in the subsonic range for hunting with suppressors. 22 Hornet, 223, 30-30, 308, 35 Rem., 358 Winchester, 9.3x62, 458 American, 45-70 all are possibles. 30-30, 358, and 35Rem are most likely. TIA and Be Well Brothers, RZ.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 February 2024

not 800x ... but Christmas came early last August when I discovered a forgotten 8 lb. keg of 700X in the back of my stash ...   workin good in my 308s at 1300 fps -ish ......  7 to 12 grains  ...   and burns real clean ... oh, and smoother through the powder measure than Unique ...

i would expect 800X to also work fine if you keep the pressure up with heavy enough and fat enough bullets to keep it burning clean ...

and consider drilling out your flash holes a tad bigger as discussed here a couple weeks ago ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
wimilkman posted this 04 February 2024

I am so jealous you have some 800X it was one of my favorite powders in 357 magnum , 44 magnum and 454 Casull enjoy that powder

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

RustyZipper posted this 04 February 2024

Ken Campbell I relocated this one under a loading bench. Am going to need to acquire a 280 - 300 gr .358 mold soon. Be Well Brothers, RZ.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 06 February 2024

I was using it a number of years ago for cast 200g subsonic 7.62x39. I don't remember the loads but it worked well .

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
Lee Guthrie posted this 08 February 2024

NOE has a 300 gr .358 mould they call Thumper.  I cast and load it for my and two nephews .35 Whelens.  They seem to like it.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RustyZipper
Qc Pistolero posted this 15 February 2024

800X now discontinued is a victim of its propency of ''metering like corn flakes''.I might add a well deserved reputation.But that negative fact being put aside(after all,nobody is perfect...always thought the contrary but my wife keeps saying that my theory is flawed and that I am the flaw''),800X is situated in a very desirable spot considering its burning rate.

Nobody will dispute the fact that Unique is the most versatile powder,many going as far as saying if they could have but one powder it would be Unique...and I agree with this.But I rank 800X very close to that assertion.OK,you've got to build pressure up a little more with 800X compared to Unique for low vel target loads but I know many target and PPC shooters who offered Unique at a very low price after being disappointed with it(try it at 3.0 or 3.2 under a 148gr .38SPL and you'll get some pow and some POW with vertical stringing on your target.That's why I don't think either one is good for developping a target load.

I agree that under these conditions 800X will not fare any better but remember,I said after Unique it is a very good spare quarterback.Use it for +P 38SPL and also, almost up there with max velocity but not quite with a lot less powder in the 3 magnum revolvers;it is also an excellent(often in my experience better than Unique)in reduced cast bullet loads(30-30,45-70 38-55 and maybe another one or two I don't remember).One area where it is far superior to Unique is that it occupies more case capacity which is a desirable feature.

I consider myself lucky to have a 5 pounder still stashed  away but at the rate I'm using it,it won't last long.My favorite load for it;Lee RFN 210 unsized LLA lubed topping 10gr of 800Xin my .44Mag S&W 629 8 3/8''.Kick is gentle(am pushing near 70 and got arthritis in my left hand)and darn accurate.Couldn't ask for more.I hope they bring it back but doubt it!

Attached Files

RustyZipper posted this 02 March 2024

I'm going to go further here to narrow things a bit. Will be looking for 308 loads. Any of the other calibers would be a bonus. TIA. Be Well Brothers, RZ.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 02 March 2024

not 800x ... but Christmas came early last August when I discovered a forgotten 8 lb. keg of 700X in the back of my stash ...   workin good in my 308s at 1300 fps -ish ......  7 to 12 grains  ...   and burns real clean ... oh, and smoother through the powder measure than Unique ...

i would expect 800X to also work fine if you keep the pressure up with heavy enough and fat enough bullets to keep it burning clean ...

and consider drilling out your flash holes a tad bigger as discussed here a couple weeks ago ...

ken

Ken I used 700x on the other end, high velocity. Mainly in the 45 Colt.  Loads came from an old Guns&Ammo article very long ago. How close are 700x and 800x in actual use not burn rate?

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 02 March 2024

I have both 700x and 800x on hand and reload for 308, 45 Colt. Feel free to PM your data, or the old Guns & Ammo article - keenly interested.

Also if anyone is using these powders in 303B

Cheers

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 03 March 2024

I have both 700x and 800x on hand and reload for 308, 45 Colt. Feel free to PM your data, or the old Guns & Ammo article - keenly interested. Also if anyone is using these powders in 303B Cheers
John that was a long time ago and I don't have the data anymore.  Also I belive they changed the formula on 700x.  From what I've researched after you asked for the data that 700X is pretty fast and doesn't occupy much space in a 45 Colt case.  If you experiment with it please be careful. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
Boschloper posted this 03 March 2024

I have a copy of the old “brown” IMR handloader’s guide, the only date I can find on it is (10/90) on the back cover. It has both 700X and 800X data for most handgun cartridges. For .45 Colt with a 250 gr lead bullet, 6.3 of 700X, 815 fps, or 9.5 of 800X, 915 fps, both show 13,700 cup, and the standard caveat of reduce loads by 10%. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
SkinnerD posted this 03 March 2024

About the same age as my powder lol

Thks

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

RustyZipper posted this 12 March 2024

Still wondering about subsonic loads. 700X in 30-30, 308 Win., 45Colt, and maybe a 22 K Hornet. Oh, and my all time favorite DRT deer rifle .358 Winchester! TIA and Be Well Brothers, RZ.

Attached Files

RustyZipper posted this 12 March 2024

I meant 800X. Couldn't get the edit function to operate. Be Well, RZ.

Attached Files

Close