Flooding at Hawkeye Range?

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 08 June 2011
RicinYakima posted this 01 June 2011

Wally,

I am starting for Iowa on Saturday. Looking at the weather and flooding, is the range going to be OK to shoot?

Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rigger posted this 02 June 2011

The Army Corp of Engineers put out a map showing where they are expecting the water. The range is going to be ok according to their map. Here's a link to the map. The range is left of center on the bottom of the map. http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/op-e/maps/SiouxCity_to_Omaha_Page_02.jpg>http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/op-e/maps/SiouxCitytoOmahaPage02.jpg

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 02 June 2011

Hi Ric

As rigger pointed out the projections by the Army Corp of Engineers map indicate the Hawkeye Range will be just above the flood level.

The range is just over 1 mile East of the river and about 30 feet above it at an elevation of about 1100 feet. The river is expected to reach 1098 --- so it will be close.

The article below from this morning is about Dakota Dunes just up river from the range.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110601/NEWS/106010316/As-residents-pack-up-levee-workers-dig-in>http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110601/NEWS/106010316/As-residents-pack-up-levee-workers-dig-in

Ric --- I sent you a PM with my phone & cell phone numbers.

If you will have a cell phone with send the number to me and I will update you with any changes.

Have a safe trip

Wally

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 June 2011

rigger and Wally,

Thank you for the information! With my 5th wheel I can park just about anywhere, even if the range is too soft. Everything is taken up with the locals who are having to move out for a couple of weeks.

PM with phone numbers is coming.

Now if we can get through the flooding in Montana and WY, we will see you 10th.

Thanks again,

Ric

Attached Files

rigger posted this 02 June 2011

I'd like to point out that the 1098 is at the Dunes. Hawkeye is 11 miles downriver from the Dunes. The river drops about 1 foot per mile so river stage at Hawkeye should be well below 1098.

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 02 June 2011

Thanks rigger --- that is good news and should give a little more buffer for the range area.

I talked with Scott Merchant this afternoon and he did not think the water would go beyond the large berm behind the 300 yd target line where the elevation starts to drop off.

Unfortunately it doesn't look good for the area he lives in --- he is getting all his guns, reloading and gunsmithing equip out of his lower level.

My heart goes out to all that are going thru this.

Wally

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 June 2011

"My heart goes out to all that are going thru this."

Mine also. We have flash floods here in the desert, but it is up and down in an hour. Knowing that it is coming has to be a heart wearing thing.

Best wishes to all,

Ric

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 03 June 2011

Well things keep going from from bad to worse in the Sioux City area and they have been told the range will be under water and the acess roads impassible so they canceled the Military Rifle Nationals at Hawkeye.

We are in the process of changing the location of the Nationals to the Dakota Bechrest Range near Sioux Fall, SD about 1 hour North of Hawkeye. This is not all set in stone yet, but  will know for sure by tomorrow and have more info and directions when I know this is a go.

Nothing like finding out you are going to be hosting a National Tournament a week before it is held. :P

Wally

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 04 June 2011

Any word yet on moving the match , yes ,no or still working on it ?

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 05 June 2011

Hi Jim

Yep, We just got it set up & finalized today. The Military Rifle Nationals will now be at Dakota BenchRest Range just SouthWest of Sioux Falls and I do have you listed as entered.

Coming from Colorado, I reckon you will go to the range coming up I-29 from the South --- take exit #73 and go 1 1/2 miles West and then turn Right (North) on 469th Ave. for 2 miles.

Then turn left (West) on 269th St ((Hwy 102) for 4 1/2 miles. Range will be on the Left (South) side.

If you are looking for a lower cost --- handy motel try this one:

Motel 6 Sioux Falls #162

3009 W Russell Street I-29 at W Russell Street, Exit #81 Sioux Falls, SD, 57107 Phone: (605) 336-7800

The range will be open Fri afternoon for sight in.

We are planning on starting both Sat & Sun at 8:00 am so we can finish early and beat the heat and humidity although the last long range forecasts I saw were for fairly cool temps.

Wally

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 June 2011

Can you post a map? Directions from I-90 going East?

PM to follow!

Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 06 June 2011

Wow. Floods, tornados, what's next? Good luck to all of you, have fun. I assume it'll be out west next year, see you then.

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 07 June 2011

Other than the heat, blizzards, wind, floods, tornadoes and mosquitos this is a great place to shoot year round.

:P

Looking forward to seeing everyone that can make it!

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 08 June 2011

MKastning wrote: Other than the heat, blizzards, wind, floods, tornadoes and mosquitos this is a great place to shoot year round.

Was that just a nice way of saying  bring lots of bug spray ,sun block, a rain suit , winter coat, canoe,tiedown chains ..............................

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 08 June 2011

runnin lead wrote: MKastning wrote: Other than the heat, blizzards, wind, floods, tornadoes and mosquitos this is a great place to shoot year round.

Was that just a nice way of saying  bring lots of bug spray ,sun block, a rain suit , winter coat, canoe,tiedown chains ..............................

Bug spray and sun block will be more important than extra boolits.  ;)

I hear you are joining the issue shooters, Jim!  I look forward to meeting you, as I play the same game.

Drive safe! 

Michael

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 08 June 2011

Actually the weather forecast for weekend is just outstanding. Saturday morning will be in the mid 50's and a high of barely 70 in the afternoon --- partly cloudy and light winds.

Sunday is forecast to be a little warmer --- mid 70's and partly cloudy with mild 10 to 15 mph ESE winds.  But remember --- weather men drink and lie.

And the mosquitos have been very few so far, maybe all the winds we have had blew them up to Canada or down to Mexico.

We have been doing a lot of work on the range this week and it is in great shape.

Looking forward to a fun weekend.

Wally

Attached Files

MKastning posted this 08 June 2011

Wally, I failed to mention this when we talked earlier this week.

THANK YOU for pulling this together on virtually no notice. :dude:

This flood thing SUX.

I will call and get the tent located this evening, and see if there is any way I can bring it up on Friday.

Attached Files

Close