My 30 Caliber Bunny Gun!

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 08 January 2011
Ranch Dog posted this 15 April 2010

I've been trying to find a way to spice up my case forming for my 336A chambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved and think I figured out something that is going to work very well and be quite fun to shoot. Case forming has always been a chore and it was time to do it again so I started to look for an alternative.

What I decided on was using the Lee .311” round ball mold (45-grains) and Unique. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so I used the Lee Loader along with the Lee Powder Measures (dippers) to work my way through the .5cc, .7cc, 1.0cc, and finally the 1.3cc  (10.7-grains) charges. This charge is do a super job of forming the case and the accuracy appears to be quite good. I will work more on it next week. Here is the rifle and the cartridges!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
argie1891 posted this 16 April 2010

how many lube groves does that bullet have... argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 16 April 2010

argie1891 wrote: how many lube groves does that bullet have... argie1891 O

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 April 2010

Show us some targets please, how well do the roundballs shoot at 25 yards or so, inquiring minds would like to know 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 17 April 2010

I will let you know next week as I want to look at accuracy and also chrony the load.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 17 April 2010

nicely done! and very similar to my 7.62X54R, “catsneeze" load which i made up to quietly use on small game for the camp stew pot while deer hunting. i use dedicated catsneeze cases with aproximately 3.2grs of bullseye and a lubed .310 round ball seated with hand pressure. these shoot 1” groups at 25yds out of my “tanker” model (16.5” barrel), russian M44. this load my perform and act differently in your weapon. a nice way to bring home small game without alerting the primary game animal.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 17 April 2010

Before this 336A was an AI, I had thought about shooting the RBs just for fun. I had found a number of articles from the past with recommend loads and advice but that was a project from a decade ago that never left the planning stage (most of us have those).

What bought this work on was the need to fire-form cases for the AI. I had originally just shot up five boxes of Winchester ammo. The stuff has always (was) cheap here in the country and at $6/box, what the heck. Not so any more plus I don't want the jacketed bullets going down the barrel.

Unique is the powder of choice because I inherited a couple of pounds of it a decade ago and I would like to consume it (eventually) because it is quite old, from the Hercules linage. I used the tools in my Lee Loader to deprimed once fired cases and then starting with the .5cc dipper I wanted to see at what point I could get good definition with the case forming. Here are some samples as I went up the scale of dippers.

Attached Files

redball 2 posted this 17 April 2010

I have played with the lee.311 round ball in an '06. my take is to make a safe load to take starlings in the trees so I wouldn't endanger someone a mile away. a small charge of reddot, 3 grains. use a little lee lube. wheel wts is about right. at 200 yds would not penetrate a inch board. round balls slow down fast. I doubt they would travel more than 400yds.

Frank Marshall wrote an article on using round balls that could be reprinted

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

redball 2 posted this 17 April 2010

I have played with the lee.311 round ball in an '06. my take is to make a safe load to take starlings in the trees so I wouldn't endanger someone a mile away. a small charge of reddot, 3 grains. use a little lee lube. wheel wts is about right. at 200 yds would not penetrate a inch board. round balls slow down fast. I doubt they would travel more than 400yds.

Frank Marshall wrote an article on using round balls that could be reprinted

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 02 May 2010

Ed Harris wrote: ...how well do the roundballs shoot at 25 yards... Predictably unreliable! They are moving out, 2395 FPS. They would do a lot better if I slowed them down but that's what it takes to form the case.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 02 May 2010

Watching some of this I decided to try some in my Mosin, I had some 32 cast round balls that are too big for the muzzleloader that I now use so decided to size them down in a Lee push through, started with 3.5 grains of red dot worked up to 4.2 grains, these are brand new cases that I need to blow out similiar to Ranch Dog mainly to get the necks out to proper diameter. I opened the cases as much as I could then flaired the necks slightly pushed a ball in with a arbor press and lubed with some Alox. I was pleasently surprised at how well they shot. About a 1” by 1” group at 25 yards offhand! They didn't open the cases quite as far as I would have liked so, dang I'll have to do it again. I was also pleased to see that they were dead on elevation with the issue sights just ever so slightly to the right. Plenty good enough to hunt small game with. Can't wait to try some more.

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 May 2010

I remember loads for RBs in the Lyman 45th Reloading Handbook.

There are good and bad things with doing this, but I want to see the bunnies.

I do have the same mold and may try this in my Spanish FR8 before trying this in my 336.

Jerry

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 03 May 2010

There probably will not be any bunnies on my part as this is more about  fire-forming brass for the AI with the .311” round ball. To recap, I'm trying to keep this as simple and as pain free as possible. I'm using the Lee dippers to drop the powder, I don't want to measure anything, and using the Lee Loader for most of the work. It does make it simple and quick.

I am impressed with the forming but think I will refine my technique a bit. The first thing I learned was that I need to swab the chamber between each case formed.

I polished a case and then died it with a marking pen and then polished it again so that just the indented area or crack would be highlighted. Here is what it looks like.

Could it be the size of the patch that I'm using to hold the Unique at the primer? Is is slamming forward and creating an area of stress as the case is formed? I've tried two sizes, may go to a poly-foam material so it burns quicker? Not using the patch resulted in inconsistent case forming. I might drop back down to the 1.0cc dipper with a poly-foam patch and see what that looks like.

The good news is that the .311” round ball is amazingly inaccurate! That is good so that I will not feel bad about walking up and shooting a hundred rounds of them into the target backstop. In that they feed through the magazine very well and once I have my forming technique down, I can load up and shoot the whole lot very quickly. The only time constraint will be that of filling the magazine and then running the swab in and out between the shot. May be three a minute or thirty minutes for a 100.

Oh, the velocity sat at 2395 FPS! QuickLOAD guessed 2550 FPS and 12.3K PSI. When correcting the calculation for range temperature and using a trick that Unclenick on Shooter's Forum taught me, changing case capacity until the FPS expectation meets actual, the pressure looks like it would be only 9.3K PSI. I don't know if this is valid for such a reduced capacity plus adding the patch. Either way, there is not a lot of pressure being generated.

Attached Files

NITROTRIP posted this 09 May 2010

Hi Micheal, I have shot .311 round balls out of my Win94 30wcf at 950fps with 1 1/4” groups 30yds. Tighter than all 3 of my muzzle loaders. I also used Lee alox. At 2400fps are you getting any leading? And are they pure lead or wheel weights? 2400fps 30cal pellet rifle-NOW thats a rewired pellet gun!! OH OH OH

You know this is going to hack off my Red Ryder in a big way.

Very clever way to form cases.

Rick

Attached Files

Thumbcocker posted this 09 May 2010

A size “0” buckshot rolled in liquid alox seated like your photos show over 3.0 of red dot has done well for me in .30-30. Cycles through the action too.

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 07 January 2011

This is an old thread but has gotten me thinking about shooting round balls in modern twists.

I am thinking about the round ball rifling. I believe the traditional optimum twist for a old patched round ball was 1-44.

To the point: I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag that has a 1 in 38 twist (why why why).

I wonder what a round ball would do in the marlins twist. It would certainly could make a super light bunny load over a few grains of bullseye or red dot.

Would the case capacity be to large to be safe with bullseye or red dot?  Paper patched?

rc

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 07 January 2011

I'm traveling so I don't have my QuickLoad software on this mini notebook but I will look at it in the next couple of days. .432” ball for the 1894 would be really great I think.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 08 January 2011

thumbcocker, havent thought about using red dot. sounds like a decent, economical load. do you use any filler?

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 08 January 2011

Speer has a .433 round ball in soft lead and I actually found a 44 Mag load for the Speer round ball in my SPEER 10 manual. (can you believe it). Now it's a matter of whether the 1:38 modern twist will handle business like the old 40 twist patch and ball squirrel rifles.

I started another post on this because I did find the “book loads” for this round ball. Has BE and Unique loads documented. TOO funny. thanks rc

Attached Files

Close