Ruger SP101 .357mag

• 7.5K Views
  • Last Post 07 February 2010
amb1935 posted this 11 December 2009

My firends father is selling his SP101 SS 2-1/4” barrel for $425. I've always wanted a .357, but waned to know peoples opinions on this gun. It is in the box, never been fired. Thoughts? Favorite bullet/load? Thanks. -Aaron

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bruce posted this 11 December 2009

I have never fired one, but I have picked them up and wished before. I have also read lots about them. It is consider “the” small frame .357 magnum for people who actually intend to fire .357 magnum out of a small framed revolver. It is built like a tank and not particularly light. 25 oz, I believe. What is in my front pocket? A S&W Model 37, that weighs ten ounces less and fires .38 Special.

The thing that has kept me from getting an SP101 is the fact that it is too clunky for pocket carry, and if I ever get around to some sort of IWB carry, I figure I might as well slide in something that carries more than five rounds, like my hipower with 14.

And then again, if it isn't for carry, what is the 2 1/4” barrel all about? Not a target gun, that is for sure.

That said, it is one cool revolver and if I had one, I'd figure out some way to have it with me!

On favorite load, if you are carrying it for defense, you should probably load it with store-bought stuff, or at least that seems to be the consensus. Remember that 125 grain JHP from a .357 Magnum is considered the One Shot Stopper of choice. Also, with a revolver, you can put a shot cartridge in the number one hole for a snake load, and still have four “real” shots left.

I've not really heard of another purpose for a five shot, 2 1/4” barrel revolver than self defense.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 12 December 2009

There are a couple short articles here.  http://www.snubnose.info/guns.htm>http://www.snubnose.info/guns.htm

I have been thinking about getting one for awhile but just haven't got around to it.  They do seem too large for a “pocket” gun but should carry pretty easily with a holster.

Attached Files

bruce posted this 12 December 2009

I remembered reading a letter to the editor on Gunblast about a guy who bought one. Search this page for SP101 and you will read a nice letter. The letter contains a link to Gunblast's writeup of the weapon as well

http://www.gunblast.com/feedback.htm>http://www.gunblast.com/feedback.htm

Attached Files

jeffhouck posted this 14 December 2009

I've carried one for several years while doing back country wilderness canine search and rescue in north Idaho. It's the smallest yet strongest of the small .357's. (The new S&W scandium revolvers maybe equally strong.) The sp101 is heavy enough that you can shoot full house loads in it and because of it's rubber grip survive the heavy recoil. It's also a touch longer from grip to trigger than S&W j frames therefore it fits my big hands.

My “back country” load is L'll gun powder with a 180 gr. LBT long nose bullet for 1200 fps in the 2.25” barrel. Accuracy from a ransom rest at 25 yds. is 5 shots touching! L'll gun powder.

Another load with the Lee 160 round nose flat point with L'll gun does 1250 fps from the 2.25 ” barrel. accuracy from a ransom rest at 25 yds. was 1.5".

Qualifications on the b27 human silhouette target at 50 yds. was always 9 ring (12")  and better.

If you're looking for and easy to carry .357 this is it. If you want a target shooter of some sort then get the ruger GP100 or a smith L frame.

Jeff Houck

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 December 2009

I have a 2 inch SP101 and it's one of my favorite revolvers. I carry the Federal .38 Special 147-gr. HydraShok +P+ load in mine and it gets 920 f.p.s. from the snubby barrel. Groups about 3 inches at 25 yards, which is better than the average snubby. Have the Crimson Trace laser grips on mine. Like El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-9-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 14 December 2009

I decided to go ahead and buy it. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get a chance to shoot it.

Attached Files

LouisianaMan posted this 18 December 2009

You'll be glad you've got it. My 13-year-old daughter and I put about 100-150 rounds thru mine a month ago, without a hiccup. We fired a variety of factory & handloads, .38s, +P, .357. This revolver is short but stout, and that certainly helps if you plan to shoot .357s in it!

Personally, I found 158g Speer GDHP tolerable, but not too fun. 145g WSTHP a little better, but rather hard on both ends! 135g Speer GDHP much more pleasant. 125g (I forget--let's say Remingchester) pretty violent. Good for SD, but rough on the range! I settled on 110g Winchester JHP as the best compromise I've got for now, for car carry. BUT, I also loaded a .357 case with 200g LRN at 800ps that shoots to the sights. I love those heavy slugs.

Needless to say, all the various .38s we shot were comfortable. If you shoot a lot, you'll be very glad you got it. If trigger pull is very stiff, install a Wolff spring kit in about 10-15 mins. for about $10, and enjoy the ride. I've had good results with that in both my .357 and my SP-101 in .327. BTW, all the rounds we fired were with the Wolff spring.

I also put Pachmayr Compacs on both guns, since my hands are fairly large & I like the bigger grip. Were I to CCW either of these revolvers, I'd get a slimmer Pachmayr or simply re-install the factory grips, which were fine. I really bought the Compacs only because I have the same grips on several other guns.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 19 December 2009

I own one, shoots low with cast 158's and no front sight adjusting. Added Pachmayr oversized grips and a small holster. Carried while hunting always. Throats are small and it leads quickly with loads that do better in other revolvers but I don't hammer ammo thru it. It will deliver nice handpain with full house loads and jackets of any weight, but way tolerable. Haven't really worked it for accuracy. It's not a daily driver. Oranges at 25 feet are about my current limit for size and distance, especially shooting low. FWIW....

I added spring kit from Midway, easy to install. What a diff. No primer issues with new spring.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 29 December 2009

What kind of experience do you need to install that spring kit?I don't have any gunsmith experience and this is my first revolver. Do you think I'd be able to install it myself or should I have a smith do it?

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 December 2009

A little sideways here, but what is the main difference between a GP100 and a Security Six, besides the grip frame? Same lockwork? I had a Security Six 6” that was tuned up, it was a natural pointer for DA shooting. Should have kept it. If the SP101 is typical of everything else Ruger makes it should last a long long time. Congratulations on your new toy, ambi. I got some loads from Speer for .38+p in short barrels if you're interested. They all use the 125 Gold Dot.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 30 December 2009

Do it yourself. It's REAL easy. Once the grip is off, it will make sense. Go to Ruger and get a diagram of the gun, exploded view. I am pretty sure I got it from their website. That will show you how simple it is. Don't sweat it.

http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/RugSP101.jpg

this will get you a copy

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 30 December 2009

AMB

My wife shoots a sp101 Ruger. It is her carry gun. She likes 38 special 125 factory loads. Less recoil and easier to get ammo. I needed to change grips to a rubber Hogue grip as the Ruger grips were uncomfortable for her smaller hands. They seem to have made a great difference in her accuracy. 3 to 4 inch groups at 10 yards. She likes it and I am not allowed to touch her “GUN".

The price seems fair for the hardware and well worth shooting.

Bob D

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 30 December 2009

I thnk I'm going to get the replacement springs and a hogue grip. I have pretty small hands for a guy, and so far I'm really happy with hoe the gun fits my hand. I took the grip off last night and started fooling around. I have an exploded view in the ruger manual that came with the gun, so I'll probably sit down with that when the springs come in. Separate question, what is the small copper cylinder sitting in the rubber at the base of the handle? Thanks. Aaron

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 30 December 2009

Would make a dandy trail gun, like to have one myself.

Ron

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 03 January 2010

Separate question, what is the small copper cylinder sitting in the rubber at the base of the handle?

The copper cylinder is a spacer. The grips are held by a screw up into pistol grip into a yoke. The spacer saves the screw from wear and fills gap where yoke snaps into the frame. Depending on the type of grip you use the spacer may or may not be needed.

Good luck Bob D.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 05 January 2010

I've watched a few videos on how to dissassemble this revolver. It seems very simple. I do have to ask though, how does one replace the mainspring? Every video I have seen has the mainspring being compressed to dissassemble, but I would need to decompress to change it out. I am worried I would not be able to re-compress the new spring in order to fit the assembly back into the handle. Any tips?

Attached Files

KenK posted this 09 January 2010

I got a 2” .357 magnum this morning.  I shot 25 rounds through it and am very pleased.  It is perfectly zeroed with a 150 grain SWC, 3 grains of bullseye, load. .38 Special brass.  I expect that is all I will ever shoot in it. 

I found the factory trigger to be very acceptable.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 09 January 2010

I put th hogue grip on it. Took about 30 seconds to install. Was easier to install without lookng at the directions honestly. The grip feels great. I'm very satisfied with the $20 investment. Now to just get the spring replacement kit.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 09 January 2010

I use an SP101 as my belt gun when I am spending time at the deer shack. We have difficulties with dog packs and also have Timber Wolves the last two years. Come to think of it there have been fewer dogs since the wolves showed up. I load my SP101 with 158 cast bullets at about 950 fps. Two speed loaders complete the kit. It is my most used handgun.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 11 January 2010

This is a fantastic little revolver. I'm thinking that I want to: 1) Replace the 14lb mainspring with a 12lb spring 2) Replace the front sight with a night sight 3) smooth the trigger pull 4) give it a mirror polish I've found some great info for these procedures with this revolver. I think the only thing I don't want to fool with is the front sight because I don't have a drill press and would rather someone do it correctly. I figured out how to replace the mainspring, it's really easy. As far as smoothing the trigger pull, that will be an adventure seeing as I have little experience with revolvers. This will definitely be a good learning experience.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 11 January 2010

amb1935 wrote:  I'm thinking that I want to: Have you thought about shooting it yet? 

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 11 January 2010

Already shot it. That's why I like it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 January 2010

I have found these small revolver can be brutal with heavy loads. I carry a S&W 340 PD, only 12 ounces and a 357 Mag. I carry Hydra Shok 38 +Ps in mine. This is my conceal carry pistol.

I prefer my Smith L Frame with a 6 inch barrel for serious range time and hunting.

Jerry

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 15 January 2010

I really like how this thing shoots. Handles the .357 loads easily, didn't tear up my hand or anything. There was a burred edge on the side of the hammer that would catch my thumb occasionally while cocking, but some fine grit sand paper cleaned it right up. I'm putting a mirror polish on it now. I'll post pics when I finish. It should look pretty good.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 January 2010

I noticed how sharp the hammer was on mine.  My project for this gun is to learn how to shoot double action so it hasn't bothered me yet.  Got a Bianchi “Professional” model 100 holster that seems to work pretty well.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 17 January 2010

Here is the progress I've made so far on the mirror finish job.  It's starting to come around.  Probably a few more hours hand polishing with some Mother's Mag polish and a final finish with Flitz and this little fella will be done.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 05 February 2010

Just finished the mirror polish job on the sp101.  Also did the trigger job.  Everything worked out perfectly.  Took a really long time though.  I'm now in love with this little revolver.  I wish I had a better camera.  These pics really don't do it justice. -Aaron

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 February 2010

Nice job.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 07 February 2010

Thanks!

Attached Files

Close