454 Casull Reduced Loads

• Last Post 27 March 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
wimilkman posted this 17 March 2021

I inherited a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull I do not need full power loads for what I am doing and looking for reduced loads. I am currently using W 231 at 11.2 grs. with a 255gr. LSWC which shoots very well. I want to continue with the 255gr. as I load 45 Colt also. I have not been able to find much data on reduced loads for the 454 Casull which I understand considering the gun and caliber, so I am reaching out for some suggestions in load data that some of you may be using safely and works well.

Thank you, Fred

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ray h posted this 17 March 2021

I used a heavy Unique load for the 45 Colt in Casull brass for my Freedom Arms. I have 2 different head stamps to keep them separated from the hunting loads.  I used the Keith SWC in both also.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Lee Guthrie posted this 17 March 2021

Isn't a reduced load for .454 Casull called a .45 Colt?  tongue-out

How about bottom load in book using unique?  A "hot" .45 Colt load of 250 gr SWC and 10-11 grains unique could probably be used or upped several grains.  Not sitting in my loading room (goofing off at office) so cannot look it up.  I try to use loads that would be around 38,000+ in a reduced load, but still hot as that is approximately .44 mag pressure.

Attached Files

ray h posted this 17 March 2021

I never went over 7 gr. unique for practice.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 18 March 2021

I will take a look at that I am not real familiar with the 454 , I am going to try starting load using Unique which I was able to get a pound of today after seeing the replies. 

Thank you

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 18 March 2021

Ray,

Going to try Unique was able to find a pound today but it was expensive due to what is going on. I am going to start at 7 grs and work my way up ,found some information today in one of my older load books . W231 works pretty well but I cannot find it at all here right now.

Thank you

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
JeffinNZ posted this 27 March 2021

Feb 2021 Handloader magazine has an extensive article on the .454 including reduced loads.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close