454 Casull Reduced Loads

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 28 September 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
wimilkman posted this 17 March 2021

I inherited a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull I do not need full power loads for what I am doing and looking for reduced loads. I am currently using W 231 at 11.2 grs. with a 255gr. LSWC which shoots very well. I want to continue with the 255gr. as I load 45 Colt also. I have not been able to find much data on reduced loads for the 454 Casull which I understand considering the gun and caliber, so I am reaching out for some suggestions in load data that some of you may be using safely and works well.

Thank you, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SkinnerD posted this 28 September 2022

Hi Jeff, older thread but wondering do you happen to have this article? Any chance of a scan?

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 01 July 2021

WW,

Doesn't using the same data in a larger case then it was tested for present possible pressure issue's  ?

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 01 July 2021

In my 460 S&W (kissin cousin to 454) I use Cowboy action data in 460 Cases (saves chamber cleaning).

They are accurate and in the scoped hand cannon off a bipod are very nice to shoot.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 30 June 2021

I had a Freedom Arms Casull in the late 1980's. I used Maximum Ruger Loads in .45Colt brass for "Plinking". But I had to dry brush the chambers after. To be able to chamber Casull Ammo. Tolerances were extremely tight on the Freedom Arms revolver. The Super  Redhawks are more forgiving. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 20 June 2021

Jeff,

Got a copy of that article from a friend of mine here in Las Vegas, NV this week that reloads, he keeps all his Hand Loader magazines, he made me a copy of all the data.

Thank you for the information, Fred 

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
JeffinNZ posted this 27 March 2021

Feb 2021 Handloader magazine has an extensive article on the .454 including reduced loads.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 18 March 2021

Ray,

Going to try Unique was able to find a pound today but it was expensive due to what is going on. I am going to start at 7 grs and work my way up ,found some information today in one of my older load books . W231 works pretty well but I cannot find it at all here right now.

Thank you

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
wimilkman posted this 18 March 2021

I will take a look at that I am not real familiar with the 454 , I am going to try starting load using Unique which I was able to get a pound of today after seeing the replies. 

Thank you

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

ray h posted this 17 March 2021

I never went over 7 gr. unique for practice.

Attached Files

Lee Guthrie posted this 17 March 2021

Isn't a reduced load for .454 Casull called a .45 Colt?  tongue-out

How about bottom load in book using unique?  A "hot" .45 Colt load of 250 gr SWC and 10-11 grains unique could probably be used or upped several grains.  Not sitting in my loading room (goofing off at office) so cannot look it up.  I try to use loads that would be around 38,000+ in a reduced load, but still hot as that is approximately .44 mag pressure.

Attached Files

ray h posted this 17 March 2021

I used a heavy Unique load for the 45 Colt in Casull brass for my Freedom Arms. I have 2 different head stamps to keep them separated from the hunting loads.  I used the Keith SWC in both also.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close