New Light Production Class Proposed.

• 49K Views
  • Last Post 04 September 2011
CB posted this 04 June 2009

June 1, 2009

A new light production class for CBA registered competition has been proposed.

CBA President John Alexander has proposed a new light production class for CBA competiton with the following rules: Max weight of 9.5 lbs. Max scope power of 9X Bedding is allowed Trigger adjustments are allowed No throating or changing the throat or other modifications.

The main difference with this new proposed class is that if a modification is not specifically allowed, then it is prohibited.

This new class would allow many more people to have the ability to compete with others without spending a lot of money on equipment. You would be able to take your hunting rifle and shoot in a cast bullet match.

In the email John sent me asking me to post this on the website he did mention that this new class would be probationary, which means it would have a couple of years to see if it would draw enough interest.

Since there are no records established for this class, there is the opportunity for someone to set new records once the class has passed the probationary period.

This class will need the approval of the CBA BOD at the yearly national meeting at which time I would expect that the rest of the definitions of the class including which targets the class would be fired on will be established.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
madsenshooter posted this 04 September 2011

Lefty, thank you for your comments. It's still a work in progress, and now I have a 223 upper that I can shoot Hunter Class with. George, as long as you pay attention to bullet fit and reloading technique, as you would with any cast project, they are quite accurate. I'm interested in your friend who shoots sans lube. When you get down to these small bores, you're dealing with lands that are only a couple thousandths tall. In the case of my 6x45, I'm also dealing with a fast twist and radiused rifling. I think in this case the standard lubes we use are a bit much. After all I'm desperately trying to get the bullet to get a bite on those radiused lands, waxes dripping out the end of the barrel probably isn't too conducive to accomplishing that. So, I've got some bullets with the 6x45 that I simply dipped the bands in LLA for lube. I'll load em up and see how it works at high velocity before long.  Oh, reliability.  I have a valve that allows me to turn off the gas system, and in CBA matches, it's a straight pull.  If I had it to do again, I'd use a carbine length gas system with that same adjustment valve.  Reliable function for about any cast bullet load could then be found.  With my rifle length tube, I need some powder volume and pressure to make things work semi-auto.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 August 2011

Madsenshooter-

are the .223 AR's pretty reliable and accurate with cast? it would be fun to shoot one in Production Class

An AR15 postal would be an interesting one as well

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 28 August 2011

madsenshooter I am not a black rifle fan but I have to be impressed by the work you have done with yours. It doesn't really matter that we don't have black rifle classes in our matches. Your results will show in the FS regardless of the official class. Good luck and good work.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 27 August 2011

if you bring any rifle and cast bullets to a CBA match there is a class for you.Too many sub classes split it up too much in my opinion.There are pump lever auto postals for those that you could shoot it in.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 23 August 2011

It will fall in either Heavy or Unlimited class. Heavy is up to 14 lbs and Unlimited is restricted to being able to carry it to the bench.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 19 August 2011

I read this entire post, guess I should've been following along earlier. One thing that caught my attention was someone asking “What's to stop someone from shooting an AR". Why should anyone want to stop anyone from shooting an AR? I built one that won't make this class, because of weight, caliber(6x45), and an Obermeyer barrel. But I'm assuming an AR with a .223 upper will. Maybe we should consider an AR class with small, medium, and large bore divisions. Because of all the stuff available for the little black things maybe it ought to be anything goes, as long as it's an AR. Here's how my adventures in ARdom are thus far going: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121224>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121224

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 August 2011

PETE wrote: Awwww.... Geeeeee...... .... he said with tongue in cheek. :)

Pete Kinda smarts (I would think) if you bite down when you pull the trigger .>

Attached Files

PETE posted this 07 August 2011

Awwww.... Geeeeee...... And here I was hoping my Win. Mod. 70 .375 H&H Mag. would be legal.... he said with tongue in cheek. :)

Pete

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 05 August 2011

The rule modification in the recent FS is still unofficial. The Board will vote on it Kansas City in early Sept. At our clubs in Minnesota this summer, we've had some shooters trying this new rifle class out and are enjoying it. Three of our 13 shooters at last weekend's Regional were shooting Hunter class. These are shooters who have been shooting Heavy and Production in previous matches. The most often heard comment is.."I can't get thing to shoot because its too light (weight)....

It will be interesting to see how participation levels look a year from now.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 August 2011

With so much said over a long period this thread can be confusing. To me, anyway. In case I'm not alone: “Hunting Rifle Class” is not a specific match, not that I know of. It is a class of rifles allowed in certain matches. I'm talking about postal matches here, don't know about what's in the shoulder to shoulder matches. According to my 2011 Postal Match Guide and schedule the following matches have a “Hunting Rifle” class; #1-Winter Benchrest, #2-Winter Offhand(any rifle is allowed), #4-Spring Ice Breaker, #5-Spring Warm-up BR, #6-Season BR, #9-Season Offhand(any rifle), #12-Little-Bore BR,  #17-Deer Hunter Practical (see specs-any commercial hunting rifle...mil. sporter) #18 200-Yard Combined, . A few of these matches don't have a specific “Hunting Rifle” class but one would be allowed. There are a couple more matches that a “Hunting Rifle” could be used in but don't have a “H.R.” class specifically. Great idea having this class, lots of opportunities to get out and have some fun.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 05 August 2011

That's all going to depend on where you shoot. Most ranges allow it but I wanted it understood that some might not. I think you'd have your biggest problem at a national if the range officer isn't a CBA member. You could just finish your group before the time expires and clean then which is what some guys do. 10 or 15 minutes is a pretty long time to shoot 5 or 10 shots.

I personally don't clean between relays but for the most part I don't clean at any time. I'd rather be flapping my trap for the seven minutes than cleaning a gun and once I get home there's always something more exciting to do like working on the indentation in my recliner.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 August 2011

pat i. wrote: As far as cooling the barrel some clubs don't allow you to be anywhere near you're gun while the target crew is down range, a smart idea, so that might be a problem. Again some are more lax on that. A fan or that air mattress pump I wrote about a while ago allows you to cool the barrel while not messing with the gun and might be an idea to look into so you wouldn't have any issues no matter where you were.

Maybe someone could get the Director of Registered Competition to chime in here if something I wrote isn't right. 

So then most folks do not clean their barrels after each 5 shot target ?

I was thinking in the 7 minutes target change I'd be able to give the barrel somewhat of a scrubbing and in the process it would help it cool some !

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 05 August 2011

Typically and according to the rules it should take a little over an hour each  to shoot the 100 and 200 yd portion of the match for 5 shot group and score and a bit longer for 10 shot groups because you get 15 minutes per target on the 10 shot groups. Some ranges I've been to are a little lax on the time between targets because of target changes and shooting the breeze. Since the target crew is most of the time made up of participating shooters some consideration has to be given to them for a little rest period and loading their ammunition if they load at the range.

Unless there's more shooters than benches (mostly only at the Nationals and some Regionals) you just leave everything where it's at and finish out the match at one station. If there's more shooters than benches and you get unlucky enough to have to move you'd shoot your four groups or score at one yardage and pull everything off so the guy sharing your bench could shoot theirs. Also at the Nationals you're assigned benches and rotate to another bench on the second day so one guy isn't sitting in a dead zone for the whole match because of a berm or some land feature while another guy is shooting through a howling wind. Some Regionals might do this too but I've never been to one that did that I remember.

As far as cooling the barrel some clubs don't allow you to be anywhere near you're gun while the target crew is down range, a smart idea, so that might be a problem. Again some are more lax on that. A fan or that air mattress pump I wrote about a while ago allows you to cool the barrel while not messing with the gun and might be an idea to look into so you wouldn't have any issues no matter where you were.

Maybe someone could get the Director of Registered Competition to chime in here if something I wrote isn't right. 

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 August 2011

A month or so ago I was working with a 444 lever to try and get it to what I thought was reasonable for a Light Hunter Match and was having problems with hot barrel !

But then I wasn't taking as long as what the rule book allows and the temps were in the high 90's !

Is there any stipulation on how you can or cannot cool your barrel in between targets ?

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 04 August 2011

Okay the rule book says you have 10 minutes to shoot your 5 shots for score and sighters then 7 minutes before your next target . So it will take about an hour to shoot your 20 shots at 100 yards and then another hour to shoot your 20 shots at 200 yards . If I am reading this correctly .

Do you keep you're stuff at a bench until you've shot all you're 100 and 200 targets or do you have to move and let everyone shoot at 100 and then restart for 200 in a typical match ?

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 04 August 2011

Tim as long as the gun has the original barrel, action, trigger, meets weight with the magazine included (no single shots adaptions here), and has a stock with a forend skinnier than 2 inches and round on the bottom you're good to go. You could even replace the barrel on a worn out milsurp as long as it was with a surplus milsurp barrel proper to the gun in the right caliber. Doesn't matter who did the sporterizing or when.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 04 August 2011

I need a clarification on the latest(final?) Hunting Rifle class specs. In the latest TFS it has the proposed specs which says, ” ...or a surplus military rifle that has been for sale to the public.” Does this mean only factory sporters or just any milsurp that has been for sale to the public and then sporterised by whoever? My Hunting Rifle prospect is an 03a3, modified with sporter stock and meets all the other specs no problem. Probably not making the question clear, but what does it mean by “for sale to the public"? For sale when, before or after modification? Thanks. And by the way, great job on the cover photo Pat. Yet another very interesting issue of The Fouling Shot.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 24 April 2011

Etched in stone as of right now.

Hunting Rifle Class - A factory produced rifle manufactured in a quantity of at least 1,000 units over any 12 month period. Rifles produced by a manufacturer's custom shop are prohibited. Rifles using an original issue military action and barrel and meeting the Hunting Rifle Class weight limit are allowed. Factory sights may be removed, but all other parts, including detachable magazines, must be present and functional when the rifle is weighed or fired. Maximum weight is 9.5 lbs. (4.3 Kg.). Modifications judged to have been made specifically to allow the rifle to meet the weight limit are prohibited. The barrel may be shortened only from the muzzle to facilitate re-crowning, but the barrel's exterior contour may not be altered. The barrel must be chambered for its original cartridge, and the chamber, including the neck, must conform to SAAMI specifications. Factory action, barrel, stock, and trigger appropriate to the model, must be used. The trigger may be adjusted and the barreled action rebedded. Buttstocks may be shortened up to one inch to fit shooter but the factory stock contour may not be altered. Factory parts may be exchanged, however, a reconfigured rifle must duplicate a factory produced model. There are no restrictions on scope power. Alterations not specifically allowed above are prohibited.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 April 2011

So “what is” the final etched in stone rules for this class ?

Weight , mods and scope power ?

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 11 December 2010

Oops sorry, I ran out of space. Choose one or two “cast bullet” powders. I almost always start with 4759 but several others including Rx7, 5744, and 4198 frequently work. Load to a 1600 to 1750 fps velocity range. Clean your rifle very thoroughly and go shooting.

What is success? I marvel at the number of 1/2 inch guns mentioned on this sight but none of my hunting rifles will do that. 1 1/2 inches would have been competitive at the nationals. A 1” (on demand) hunting rifle is a real keeper in my world.

Have fun - it doesn't need to be rocket science.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close