38 HBWC Factory Bullet Suggestion?

• Last Post 14 February 2024
linoww posted this 11 February 2024

Well I've run out of my beloved Remington 148 HBWC and need to restock . Can anyone recommend a current best hbwc brand ?

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 11 February 2024

While I always liked the Hornady HBWC, they are twice as expensive as Powder Valley's ZERO company bullets (on sale today). However, I have never loaded them or shot them.

Or you can borrow my mould and make your own.

FWIW 

Attached Files

Thanks for the offer but I'm being lazy and just wanna buy some. I saw the Zero bullets but not sure as I've seen no feedback.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 February 2024

If you go to the Powder Valley site, they have a 4.8 out of 5. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 February 2024

Precision Delta are affordable and accurate, but cannot be used with full charges. Best not to exceed 3 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup in .38 Special brass.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima

thx,I'll look them up. I was gifted 1000 38 Special Handloaded  with 148 Speer that had 3.5g bullseye. They produce two holes.😀

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 11 February 2024

Layne Simpson has a good right up on 38 wadcutters. Remember he was a match shooter. He covered a good many of them with loads and groups. Ironically, if I remember correctly, one of the best was pc coated.

When I use to shoot them I shot Hornady and Speer.  I preferred the Hornady and their dry lubricate was messy like Speers sticky stuff.  For me 2.7 grains of Bullseye produced a dime size hole at indoor range of 50 feet for a cylinder full. Time after time.  Revolver was a 4 inch Model 19 S&W. Didn't see to make a difference if I used 38 Special or 357 Mag cases.  No leading what so ever. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima

I think my loads ok,this is 50 yards with a 10-5 with  6" pencil barrel today.I just need a quality replacement for my Remingtons.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wimilkman
MP1886 posted this 12 February 2024

I know that those Remingtons were good, but in Simpson's shooting they weren't the top.  He did a bunch of brands. Zero was included.  I make my own hollow base swaged wadcutter.  I even shoot them from my 38 Super 1911 and they/it are very accurate. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 February 2024

Firing from test barrel at Ruger in the 1980s Winchester HBWCs were best, Remington next. Accuracy was better with slight increase in powder charge to improve stability. 3 grains of Bullseye or 3.3 of 231.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Firing from test barrel at Ruger in the 1980s Winchester HBWCs were best, Remington next. Accuracy was better with slight increase in powder charge to improve stability. 3 grains of Bullseye or 3.3 of 231.
Ed not to argue with you, but that was best out your particular barrel. Doen't mean they would automatically be the best from the wide variety of different guns to shoot them from.  A person has to try a bunch of different brands and see which shoot the best from their guns. Linoww got the best in his gun with the Remingtons. 

Attached Files

linoww posted this 12 February 2024

thanks for the data. My dad has boxes of Winchester factory wadcutter match ammo he hides from me .I believe it's late 70's or early 80's.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Ed Harris posted this 12 February 2024

Test barrel was 18-3/4" twist SAAMI dimensioned industrial test barrel, exactly the same as used by the ammunition companies. Best ten-shot fifty yard groups firing in a tube were in the order of 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". A Ruger PPC revolver built by Jim Clark with Douglas 14-inch twist was consistently under 2 inches and a Bill Davis Ruger with 10-inch twist 9mm barrel shot as well as the SAAMI accuracy test barrel.

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 12 February 2024

Second for Precision Delta they are equal to Hornady and Speer in accuracy and easier to get . My preferred powder is American Select but if I can’t find it I use Bullseye, Titegroup , 700X or W244 . Primers are whatever I can get my hands on currently using Servicios Aventuras SP .

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima

Thanks for the feedback on those primers,I had wondered how they were. Precision Delta is currently out of stock. But I think I'm going to give them a try. I'll see if I can backorder. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 February 2024

The only issues I have heard about are form guys shooting PPC and lightened springs. They have a little harder cup than Federal 100's, about like WW small pistol magnums. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • linoww
  • Bud Hyett
pat i. posted this 12 February 2024

Layne Simpson has a good right up on 38 wadcutters. Remember he was a match shooter. He covered a good many of them with loads and groups. Ironically, if I remember correctly, one of the best was pc coated.

When I use to shoot them I shot Hornady and Speer.  I preferred the Hornady and their dry lubricate was messy like Speers sticky stuff.  For me 2.7 grains of Bullseye produced a dime size hole at indoor range of 50 feet for a cylinder full. Time after time.  Revolver was a 4 inch Model 19 S&W. Didn't see to make a difference if I used 38 Special or 357 Mag cases.  No leading what so ever. 

Less than a minute of angle with a cast bullet in an 8mm Mauser at 465 yards. 6 shot dime sized groups with a Mdl 19 at 50 feet time after time! Man I think you should be teaching Layne Simpson not quoting him.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
gnoahhh posted this 12 February 2024

Those small pistol Servicias Aventura primers have been working perfectly for me in a wide range of revolvers - S&W 1903 Hand Ejectors, Colt Police Positives (and PPS's), S&W K's, and Colt Officer's Models - all with factory springs. Only complaint is that the "bang" has kind of a Latino accent.laughing

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Ken Campbell Iowa

Less than a minute of angle with a cast bullet in an 8mm Mauser at 465 yards. 6 shot dime sized groups with a Mdl 19 at 50 feet time after time! Man I think you should be teaching Layne Simpson not quoting him.
Let's clean your post up. The 8x57 was 2 inches, not minute of angle at 469 measures yards. The particular Lyman 8mm bullet I was using has over a .400 BC.  It's an excellent bullet especiall for long distance. It's 213 grains so it carries well at distance.
Now as for the dime groups at 50 feet. Sounds good with the "50" in there, but that's only 16.66 yards. As for Layne no thanks. The man can shoot and his 38 wadcutter article was shot at 25 yards. Layne isn't a bad writer like some other's that we have come to know. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett

"Remember I told you my 8x57 Mauser will hold less then minute of angle at 469 yards with the Lyman 3234700"

Just pointing out what you said in a previous thread.

Attached Files

"Remember I told you my 8x57 Mauser will hold less then minute of angle at 469 yards with the Lyman 3234700" Just pointing out what you said in a previous thread.
Well pat i, either I wrote the mould number down wrong, or you copied it wrong, but anyways the mould number is 323471. Yes the group was less then minute of angle as I don't use the minute of angle nomenclature. 

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 12 February 2024

45-2.1 Is this your alter ego.

No, it’s not. You need reported for this, which is to follow.

Attached Files

honest question actually,some have dual accounts.

Attached Files

Linoww when you find yourself in a hole best thing to do is quit digging. 

Attached Files

hehe

Attached Files

"I just ordered an 8 twist barrel in 308! Can't wait to try it."

I'm sure it will do well at 1400 - 1600 fps +/- at 100 yds +/- with a cast bullet, probably numerous designs. Please let us know if it will hold moa at 600 yards for 10 shots with a cast bullet pushing 2900 fps? Or even at a 300 yards? Verified during a match of course.......

LMG

Remember I told you my 8x57 Mauser will hold less then minute of angle at 469 yards with the Lyman 3234700 and you know what twist the Mauser has. I've going to revist that rifle too. Wish I could extend my distance, I think I might be able to get 550 yards."

I just copied and pasted a post of yours from an exchange between you and Larry Gibson. You must have mistyped the mold number. No big deal.

Attached Files

Just like you said it's no big deal typo on the mould number. I already addressed it and apparently is must be a big deal for you huh pat? Plus 2 inches is less then 2 minute of angle. Since LMG likes moa I posted it that way. He's also very aware of that shooting and we discussed it in length elsewhere. He  agreed that particular bullet is a very good one. So does this conclude this now?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 12 February 2024

Done, move on.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 13 February 2024

Trying Ric, trying. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Larry Gibson posted this 13 February 2024

You told me and everyone else on other forums and during phone calls and PMs a lot of, or most all of your rifles, would hold MOA at long range. That was at usually 316 or 318 yards at high velocities.  But then you didn't go by your current handle then. 'Nough said about that.

The 423471 is an excellent bullet, particularly in and good/excellent milsurp barrel with spec deep grooves.  Several of the design attributes of that particular bullet are well suited to HV performance.  With that bullet in that Mauser spec barrel the RPM Threshold can be pushed had upwards of 2200 fps while maintaining very good accuracy.  Not saying consistent MOA [there is nothing "consistent" accuracy wise about a single 3 shot group at any range] but very good accuracy.

Back to this thread's topic; back in my PPC/TRC days I Ransom Rest tested Hornady, Speer and Remington 38 HBWCs loaded over 2.7 gr Bullseye in my Power Custom PPC S&W M10 revolver.  Testing was done at 50 yards [max range shot during matches] shooting 12 shots [twice around the cylinder].  I found all three would shoot into 1 1/2 to 2".  Remington and Federal match factory loads would shoot into 1 1/4 - 1 1/2".  Like many I used the factory at the 50 yard line and my own reloads at the 7, 10, 15 and 25 yard lines. .

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 February 2024

Larry's results with .38 wadcutter in a good PPC revolver track exactly with my experiences at Ruger. Ron Power is one of the best revolver mechanics in the country and ranks right up there with Jim Clark, Bill Davis, and Reeves Jungkind

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
wimilkman posted this 14 February 2024

I only have 2 guns that don’t like them to well but I solved the problem with my XD 40 S&W the captured guide rod broke and Springfield sent me a new one put it in and now no issues with Servicios Aventuras primers. My S&W 929 PC revolver in 9mm I do get some FTF’s but every other gun I have there has been no issue. I seen them on Powder Valleys website yesterday for $62.99 per 1000 was going to order some but still have 5000 left of the 10000 I ordered. They also work extremely well in 357 magnum and will ignite W296/H110 with no issues.

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close