30BR 17 twist?

• Last Post 19 December 2023
ten-mile posted this 18 December 2023

Has anyone tried shooting a 30BR with 17" twist?  It seems like there are plenty of used ones from the regular jacketed BR people that would work for us if that slow twist can stabilize a decently heavy bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 18 December 2023

You should look at the results of the CBA Nationals. There was an Unlimited Pistol shooter at the Nationals shooting a .30 BR with a slow twist. If I remember correctly, the twist was 1 in 18" and he was shooting 2300 feet-per-second. He was very competitive.

Plain Base shooters use a 1 in 14 inch twist with bullets up to 230 grains very effectively in defiance of the Greenhill Formula. There is a caveat, the barrels are generally slightly choked and the bullet tapered to precisely fit the leade. Plus the barrels today are built of more homogonous alloy, far smoother, and more evenly cut than when the Greenhill formula was postulated based on empirical data.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Glenn R. Latham
Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2023

The expression "decently heavy" is the key.

There was a movement afoot to go at 30 BR with slow twist, "light" bullets and really fast (for CB) mv's.

Tom

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 18 December 2023

I shot a 17 twist 30x47 years ago. Used a 165 LBT bullet at around 2550 or so. It shot alright but no better than anything I played with, maybe even worse. And what I gained in velocity I lost in BC so it kinda came out even. It was a fun project though and maybe your results would be different. Try it and see.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 19 December 2023

I bought a used 30BR used for jacketed hunter BR matches.It was 1-17  twist and I thought it should have been fine for short plain base bullets.It didn't work out at all.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
DanLH posted this 19 December 2023

Jack,

I shot a 16" twist 30BR on my rail gun but used the 165 gr RCBS, so not a heavy bullet. I'd have to look back to see what my velocity was but if I remember right it did shoot real well at the Nats.

Dan

Attached Files

Close