.308 Winchester LR .079 v SR .059 v SR .093 Flash hole.

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
Wm Cook posted this 2 weeks ago

Over the winter I took a look at substituting small rifle primers for large rifle primers in my .308.  I limited the trial to velocities and standard deviations to make it a doable winter shop project.  The purpose of the trial was to find which combination of primer size and flash hole diameter gave the most efficient and the most consistent use of the powder across a range of powders common in competition.  Here’s the disclaimer.  High velocity, low standard deviation does not guarantee accuracy.  In addition, the sample is too small to draw a grand conclusion, however what I learned was enough to point me in the right direction when I do get out to the range.

For powders I used what was found in the CBA National equipment list for the .308 Win.  Powder charges were worked up to come close to what the CBA results showed.  In the end I wound up using 2400 @ 20.0g, 4227 @ 21.8g, RL10X @ 25.2g & 4895 @ 27.8g.  Those charges put me in the 1650 to 1720fps ball park.   The trial included small rifle brass with flash hole diameters of .059, .093 and .125” and large rifle brass with flash holes of .079, .125 and .140” large rifle primers.  A single 10 shot string of each was shot.  

But just to start the conversation I narrowed things down to what brass was commercially available.  Off the shelf small rifle brass is available with .059 and .079 flash holes.  Large rifle brass is only available with .079 flash holes as far as I know.  As soon as a few medical things settle out I'll post the rest.  Thanks, Bill C.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Hornet posted this 2 weeks ago

There are a couple of interesting things going on with the standard deviations in the data table that I didn't expect. A 10 shot sample isn't exactly "Word of God" statistically but CAN indicate a possible trend. Looking forward to seeing the remaining test results. Thanks.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • Bud Hyett
drone posted this 2 weeks ago

I don't or can't use 220 grn boolits in my 308, settled on the 170 lee fngc as I use it in my 30/30 as well.The next 500 will be powder coated, a first for me.

I'm waiting on delivery of some starline 308 srp brass and I note it has the middle of the range sized flash hole. I'm also getting some petersen 308 brass with srp which has the smaller hole but I'm not holding my breath on delivery of those. Lapua are unobtanium here in the UK.

I don't shoot in extreme cold and basically am coppering my bets as I have 4000 or so srps but only about half that number of lrps.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close