300 blackout

• Last Post 11 October 2022
mattox76m posted this 17 August 2022

I've just starting out reloading for a 300 B/O on an AR frame. I'm trying to determine the overall case length for cast bullets. I'm going to be loading 170 grain  and 180 grain bullets cast from a Lee mold. I've been told to load them with a 2.210" to 2.213" OAL. If I do this the bullet is just inside the case neck. I can't use the OAL for a jacketed bullet because of the length difference. If I load them to where the bullet seems secure in the case (about 1.94") it looks like I'm shooting a shotgun with the wildly inaccurate pattern. Can anyone give mea definitive measurement to shoot cast bullets ? (I have acceptable patterns when shooting jacketed bullets).

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Little Debbie posted this 17 August 2022

Cast in the .300 BO in an AR is kinda funny. The trip from the magazine into the chamber seems to cause problems. In a .223 carefully hand chambered shoot okay, but from the magazine it’s a different story. I gave up on .223/5.56 cast in AR rifles quickly. I’ve found that in the .300 things are a bit better. A Lee factory crimp die provides better accuracy than a conventional crimper. This also allows you to crimp where you want and don’t have to use the crimp groove. I’m guessing a taper crimp die would work even better. I’ve found that seating cast bullets to just fit in a 20 round aluminum GI contract magazine gives me best accuracy and reliability. Finding a load where the powder is lightly compressed helps too. Keeps the over all length intact through the feeding cycle. My best cast load is with the Lee 230 grain TL BT and A1680 (sub sonic) . Great functioning and 3-4 MOA. Tumbled lubed and loaded as cast. I shoot a lot of these at my mild steel targets with no damage. I still haven’t figured out why one bullet in every 100 to 150 ends up striking thetarget sideways.

My most accurate jacketed load is with W296/H 110 and some old Remington 125 gr PSP bullets I bought years ago for 7.62 x 39. They’ve produce 1.25 inchgroups (and occasionally better) in several .300 rifles and pistols. I crimp them in the crimp groove and they’re pretty short, but function well, probably because the jacket is slick compared to a lead bullet and won’t skid or scratch on the feed ranp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Barn-Dweller posted this 10 October 2022

You did not say what you are sizing the bullets to. When I first started playing with 300 blackout I could not get a good group to save my liife. I was sizing to .309 someone told me to make my bullets just a little fatter and I tried .310 and the accuracy was there for me. 

I have a few different bullets I load for the 300 Blackout. A 153 grain to supersonic and a 230 for subsonic. I think the one persons suggestion of starting at mag length is a good place to start. You can slowly make them a little shorter a few thousands at a time while watching for pressure signs. I do not load the bullet weights you are talking about so I can not give you a COL 

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 11 October 2022

I have found the Lyman 311299 or the 311334 bullets work well in a couple of ARs I have put together. 8 twist barrels

They seat nicely to GI mag length, with the bullet groove diameter body kind of a perfect fit lengthwise in the case neck length. I size them to 0.3095"

And they shoot very well with a case full of Lil Gun. NOT subsonic. I like them at full velocity they are capable of 

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Close