Where is the cheapest place to buy wad making material

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 02 June 2022
gcollins posted this 09 August 2008

I lost my email that told me where to buy wad making material, can anyone help?

I would be great full for any and all help :dude:

Thanks Greg

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 10 August 2008

If you are refering to type 1 PVC you can get that at www.smallparts.com

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 10 August 2008

If you are looking for sheets of 1/8” medium or hard felt or cork, try MSC.  Walmart sells nice thick .200” cork board tiles at a cheap price.  This one works the best of all the wad materials that I've tried with plain based bullets in my rifle.

JerryB

Attached Files

Nozzle Rag posted this 15 October 2008

www.durofelt.com has a wide range of felts for making bullet wads. Pretty cheap too.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
R D posted this 20 October 2008

I have found material to use from packing material, I save it from the packages that i receive. I also get material from my local auto supply. Their gasket material gives a good range of hard wads. You will probably have to go to a real parts store not a box type.

R D

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 21 October 2008

jerryb wrote: If you are looking for sheets of 1/8” medium or hard felt or cork, try MSC.  Walmart sells nice thick .200” cork board tiles at a cheap price.  This one works the best of all the wad materials that I've tried with plain based bullets in my rifle.

JerryB Jerry.  How do you cut cork wads?  I have always found it a pain to work.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 October 2008

I use Sil Seal from Lowes, but I have hole punches from a leather shop that I use to cut wads for my larger cases. Try The Leather Factory:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/>http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Jerry

Attached Files

Nozzle Rag posted this 22 October 2008

I buy punches from Harbor Freight or similar places. Last batch I bought were $4 for 6 punches. I accidently bought a metric set and then found that the 11mm punch fits a 44 Colt Army clone perfectly. Soak the felt wads in a melted hard lube for an effective seal with no lube bleed into the powder. Works for me

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 October 2008

I will have to remember that, I need to make a trip to HF in November, so I will pick up a set of those while I am there.

:}

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 22 October 2008

I use sharpened tubes about 4 inches long in a drill press.  You have to take them out every once in a while to empty out the wads.  Inside diameter about .005” larger than case neck interior.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 October 2008

I have done that also, but some times I can't get the tubing the right size.

Jerry

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 20 December 2008

I have cut thousands of wads for .40, .45 and .32 with press mounted punches offered by Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,242.html

These cut perfect wads in a very short period of time (they advertise 1000 per hour and I have found that a realistic number).

Dale53

Attached Files

PETE posted this 21 December 2008

As Dale53 says..... And BA also sells material to make wads out of.

PETE

Attached Files

cblambert posted this 23 December 2008

Ballistic Products has an interesting catalog that may contain what you're looking for.  I turn to them for my supplies for my 12,20 & especially 16 ga. shotshell components.  I've had good results with their fiber wads- of course they're too big for cartridge use but use an old peice of brass chamfered & deburred to “punch out the diameter you need"  most of their wads are of a somewhat stacked so you can eisilly cut them to the height required.  From what I've read a fiber wad with a “pea” of Spg works great to fill large volume Black powder cases & keep fouling in check...good luck & Merry Christmas!

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 December 2008

Thanks for the info, this gives me another option for my reloading.

;}

Merry Christmas

Jerry

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 06 January 2009

the hard cardboard used by frame shops to matt pictures makes a good hard wad. the wad cutters from buffalo arms that fred makes are really good. money well spent. i have also used the gasket material from the napa auto store also. plastic coated containers that orange juice comes in works for a thinner wad. by the way the matting material form the frame shops. usually the scraps are free. mike

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 January 2009

I never thought about using matt board, thanks for that idea.

Jerry

Attached Files

pcmacd posted this 08 February 2022

Come on, guys?  Who in the freakin' what is "MSC."

I am bleating to death trying to figure this?

Attached Files

pcmacd posted this 08 February 2022

One can never own too many tools, and in particular, one cannot EVER own too many punches.

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 08 February 2022

Google MSC. They are an industrial supply house. Might also try Grainger or McMaster - Carr. 

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 08 February 2022

If you use a lot of wads, Fred Cornell makes a wad punch that works great for just about anything you want to make wads out of. The punch die fits in your reloading press, and you can turn out lots of wads in a short time. Fred will make them for any diameter you want.  Fred Cornell, Custom Shooting Accessories.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 08 February 2022

The Ballistic Products people are also very nice to deal with. Myself, I find their prices to be very competitive.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Tom Acheson posted this 08 February 2022

In 1987 or so I began following Merril Martin's articles in Precision Shooting magazine. He was a proponent of using wads under plain based bullets in straight wall cartridge cases. I bought a 4'x8' sheet of 0"060" thick polyethylene. In those days a home made punch was used. There is still a section of that sheet that I use today.

My interest in 2010 in BPC rifles found me buying a Fred Walters punch and sheets of 0.060" veggie material. Today I use both the ploy and veggie materials. 

Another source of the poly is those cone shaped shaped things that cats and dogs wear sfter they have some surgery or attention from a vet. People usually toss the cones after their pet no longer needs them.

The Walters Wads press mounted punch works great!

Tom

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 February 2022

Years ago I purchase some 45 and 35 caliber Walter wads and still have plenty.

Attached Files

Green Frog posted this 02 June 2022

I believe Cornell is out of business.  I’m glad I’ve got his wadcutters in 32, 40, and 45 that I got second hand. I’d love to find one in 38, even though I don’t even have a 38-55 (currently) but May in the future, I hope!

Froggie

Attached Files

Close