BASE BAND BULLET QUESTION

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 28 March 2008
linoww posted this 25 March 2008

I bought a “Pope/Mann style” 30 cal base band bullet recently.It is about 165g nose pour and is .301 for the main bore diameter of the bullet.The base band is .310 and about 3/16” long.I have only shot 15 shots with it in a MOA capable 30-30 so far. After I found where the bullets hit(very low!) I shot the last 10 into 2” at 100. Load was 9.0 of  new 2400.The problem is the bullets strikes are very oblong showing much wobble.Bullet is seated out being held only by the baseband.It seems if I could get it started straight it may shoot very well.I cant get the bullet seated straight enough due to the small bearing section of the base band so I believe this is the problem.A test loaded round shows rifling engagement marks very uneven on the .310 diameter “nose".I may try to make a dummy plugged case to breach set it and see how that goes.I also thought about Veral's GOP(glue on patch) method to help center the nose better.if I could get it to enter concentric the design may prove its self capable.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 25 March 2008

Geo.,

I think you are on the right track, if the bullet is crooked in the bore, it will not “self strighten” when you fire it. If it starts in one orientation, it will stay that way.

One way to do this MAY (!) be to size the neck without a ball on the de-primer rod. Make a short “M” plug that leaves the base of the neck sized, and only opens up the 3/16” at the end. By doing this you can use the case as a breech seater. This is a quick and dirty way to see if it will help center the bullet in the bore.

Of course, you have checked to see that the bullets are more or less round and aren't lop sided. I will not bore you with the story of the Pope style bullet mould I bought that someone had milled one block face so each half cast a different sized bullet!

Ric

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 25 March 2008

i would try going somewhat faster with that bullit

i don't think you are stabilizing your bullit quite enough

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 March 2008

i don't think you are stabilizing your bullit quite enough

It is the same 2400 load as a similar length/weight bullets I also shoot. Those stabilize fine with the load.It is a 1-10 twist gun and I have shot longer bullets subsonic and had them print fine.Good question though.i dont t think this design could stand alot of velocity,but I could be wrong.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 March 2008

RicinYakima wrote: One way to do this MAY (!) be to size the neck without a ball on the de-primer rod. Make a short “M” plug that leaves the base of the neck sized, and only opens up the 3/16” at the end. By doing this you can use the case as a breech seater. This is a quick and dirty way to see if it will help center the bullet in the bore.

Not a bad idea,I'll give that a try.I cast 100 more bullets so I can see what will work.I also made a plugged case last night to try as a breach seater.I aint giving up yet<G>

George

Attached Files

PETE posted this 27 March 2008

George,

You have anticpated my reply by saying you're gonna try breech seating. Pope style, or any tapered bullet work best when breech seated, or the throat is cut to fit the taper.

A tapered bullet is supposed to self align itself with the bore and can be very accurate.

If you have a chronograph you'll find these .30 cal. PB bullets “generally” stabilize best between 1400 - 1500 fps. I'm not familiar with using 2400 since most of us Schuetzen shooters will use 4227 or AA#9.

PETE

Attached Files

linoww posted this 27 March 2008

PETE wrote:  George,

You have anticpated my reply by saying you're gonna try breech seating. Pope style, or any tapered bullet work best when breech seated, or the throat is cut to fit the taper.

PETE  If you have a chronograph you'll find these .30 cal. PB bullets “generally” stabilize best between 1400 - 1500 fps. I'm not familiar with using 2400 since most of us Schuetzen shooters will use 4227 or AA#9. I have had good luck in the 1250-1400 range in my 30-06 Military throated rifles and other 30 cal factory guns.So I am at the same velocity range you work in ,if not just a bit slower.I would think this to be fine in this 30-30.This Savage 30-30 has a nice gentle,but tight throat so it may stand a bit more velocity?I have shot W269 and h110 in the 30-30 case,but would be hesitant to go below the 13.5g-16 charges I have used due to the erratic velocity variation I have heard about with the lower charges.Your .32 Miller and 32-40 cases have a bit less space than I am dealing with.I have shot 700x and 2400 in the 30-30 with PB bullets in the past down to 3/4 MOA so they seem to work OK.The earlier gun used was a Remington 788 heavy barrel with loose factory type chamber,but re-throated.

A tapered bullet is supposed to self align itself with the bore and can be very accurate.

I agree,and most of my best 30 cal & .22 cal target bullets are tapered.The bullet mentioned is not tapered,but cylindrical with a base band.I accidentally called it Pope style when it should have just read  "Mann Base Band” style.I'll post a picture of it and the mold tomorrow.

What are your breach seat rifles throats set up like for your tapered bullets??I had never given any thought to that.

I have a match this weekend so i will have to put off the experiment for a few days.I will pick PB shooter Tommy Masons brain on this stuff while at the match.

Thanks for the response.

Geo.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 27 March 2008

George,

What are your breach seat rifles throats set up like for your tapered bullets??I had never given any thought to that.  

The same applies whether your bullet is straight or tapered. When I have a gun chambered I go with a 1/2 degree included. Some will go with a 1 or 1 1/2 degree throat. This might seem excessive but only amounts to about a 5/8” long throat.

The idea when breech seating is to shove the bullet up into the throat till about 1/2 the base band is engraved. With your straight sided bullet the sides of the bullet should show even engraving all around it. If not you know it's not going in square. This is nominally about 1/32” to 1/16” ahead of the case mouth. This is also one of the dim.'s we play with as a coupla thousandths one way or the other can markedly improve accuracy. Most of the Schuetzen shooters will size the base band .001” to .0015” larger than the groove diam., or the whole bullet if straight sided.

With fixed ammo I would cut your throat so just the base band is in the case and the bullet is tight in the throat. Sound familiar?? :) Just about what CBA shooters do preparing GC match ammo. Engraving should show evenly all around the sides of the bullet to show it's centered up properly.

Also when sizing your case either don't size it so that it squeezes that base band, or use an expander plug that is the same size as your sized bullet. That will put on just enuf “squeeze” to hold the bullet, yet “loose” enuf so the bullet can move and adjust itself to the throat without deforming the base or base band. .003” seems to be about the max. pressure you can put on. You can't be to careful here, and if a pulled bullet shows a change in dim. then make a slightly larger expander plug.

Custom guns today usually have the chamber, throat, and bore lined up fairly well. But I have heard that factory guns are something else so you need to have a way to allow a fixed ammo bullet to move if needed without deforming it. Factory guns made back in the Schuetzen era were not lined up to well either, maybe worse, and that's why breech seating came into being.

The whole idea, whichever way you do it, is to get the bullet lined up central to the bore, without deforming the base, and into the rifling tight enuf that you don't get blow-by. Thus the nice gradual throat. PB bullets just won't take the “kicK", or abuse in seating, that a gas checked one will.

As you can see all this care is that PB bullets are easily damaged and you need to mould them out of a relatively soft alloy if breech seating. I use 1-25 Tin/Lead as a good starting point. I've never tried it but I think a bullet cast out of something like Lino(especially a straight sided bullet) would be pretty hard to breech seat. Have to try that sometime.

PETE

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 March 2008

here is a picture of the group.Notice the hole shapes.

I just noticed that the "side to side” prints are all a bit higher from the “up-down"prints.They also show more verticlal than horizontal,while the others are just the oppsite.Its only one 10 shot group so i am probably over thinking it.

The picture is canted a bit left.The actual target orientation has with the bottom 5 holes amost perfectly level with  the ground.

George

Attached Files

Here is the mold with a sample bullet.it aint pretty but casts nice round bullet once I tuned it up.

George

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 28 March 2008

did you have a solid backer to your target?

a loose target paper or soft backer will do that also

Attached Files

Yup, a solid,dry and tight to the target cardboard backer used.And all other groups formed on the same target had rather round hits.

George

Attached Files

Close