1918 30-06 Accuracy?

• Last Post 21 February 2023
Bryan Austin posted this 03 February 2023

I noticed this target advertising Du Pont's IMR No. 16 smokeless powder.

I guess this was an "accuracy" in 1918?

Dec issue, 1918

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MarkinEllensburg posted this 03 February 2023

Looks to me to be about a 99-4x as would be scored on the current target we use for 100 yd. military matches. For iron sights and a service bullet I would say that's darn good as an average.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
gnoahhh posted this 03 February 2023

And bear in mind it's not to scale, at least on my screen. '03 Springfields had to pass a rudimentary accuracy test after manufacturing, base requirement being much as what this group represents. Of course many (most) of them exceeded it, and I would congratulate the advertiser for their honesty in not cherry picking the best group out of 100 for the ad (or maybe they did big_grin ).

Begs the question: what kind of pressures did they generate with that powder to get 3000fps with a 150 bullet in 1918?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 February 2023

hmmm .. using 1966 lc military ball ... in my Tikko 308 .... and a scope ... bench ...that is about what i get today ...  i am mostly shooting it up for the brass ... going slowly, i keep dozing off ...

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 03 February 2023

Scaling it the best I can, I seem to find the following;

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
JeffinNZ posted this 04 February 2023

Issue rifle with ball projectiles.  That looks good to me.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 February 2023

Ever read how many bullets per second the machines were cranked up to make in 1918 for the war? It was about volume not about good accurate bullets. That group would kill any Hun down range. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Larry Gibson posted this 04 February 2023

MR #16 powder was very well thought of during it's tenure from 1917 t0 1927 (?).  Philip Sharpe gives a very good description in his Complete Guide To Handloading on pages 167 & 168.  The 3000 fps was an amazing velocity back when that ad was made and 2 1/2 moa for 10 shots was also very good, especially with milsurp bullets.  Today, with the powders available, 3000 fps in the '06 with a 24" barrel using 150 gr bullets can be done quite easily while maintaining acceptable psi's.  

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • John Alexander
Clod Hopper posted this 21 February 2023

In a 20 inch target that would be good to 800 yard.  On a six inch kill zone on a coyote, 200 yards.  The target shows some vertical stringing.  I wonder if we could fix that today.  I wonder if better bench technique and/or bedding could fix this.  The width is about 1.88 inches so there is some potential there.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Close