Making this forum better

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 05 February 2008
CB posted this 03 January 2008

Okay folks here is a chance for you to sound off.

I am working on making some improvements to the forum and I am looking for some feedback from the members on some improvements they would like to see.

Would you like to have a chat room where you can chat in live time with other members on the forum?

How about improvements to the layout? Maybe a side panel layout or different colors etc..

Let's hear what you think!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 03 January 2008

How about some e-articles similar to the ones in the Fouling Shot.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 January 2008

I've posted a few of my draft articles which later appeared in the Fouling Shot. The Bunny Gun thread generated several. So have the lever gun discussions.

I've sent our Editor Glenn Latham several Q&A discussions I've had with people here whicvh he's used in the FS and will continue to do so.

I view our discussions here as great idea starters for articles.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 03 January 2008

the quick reply box could stand to have a full screen function like the one at Accurate Reloading.

Live time chatroom would be nice.

Most importantly: combine the WTSell, WTSwap, and WTB in one forum.  People don's seem to pay too much attention to the categories.

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 January 2008

Hi Jeff; You guys do a pretty darn good job as is. On to the piss and moan part. Add the writing toolbar for quick reply, I agree, a larger box would be nice. You guys do a pretty darn good job as is. Roy

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 05 January 2008

Pretty happy with it from my upside down part of the world. Thanks for your efforts Jeff.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 January 2008

Well the quick reply is designed to be just that, quick. Loading the toolbar... I dont know I will see what I can do.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 05 January 2008

I get ALL the way down to the bottom, reading each post or the last post and then have to scroll ALL the way back up to the top to get back to the main page.

Good job on moderating!

Might want to consider a different selection of major topic headings. Maybe it's just me, but I haunt 5 or 6 cast bullet boards, but there are only one or two topical areas on this one that catch my interest. (Yet in the same breath, the content of what's here is GOOD.)

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 January 2008

TRK Could you be more specific? What types of topic areas? Is it the content under the headings or just the name of the heading? I am open to any and all suggestions from our members.

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 05 January 2008

TRK,

what good ones do you watch, besides castboolets?

Rich

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 06 January 2008

In no particular sequence - each board has it's own characteristics.

(Let me add at this point, having just reviewed what we do here, it seems like I see a few new forums - which are much more specific - and that's GOOD.  My initilal observations are that I could replace more than one forum title with “miscellaneous” and it would mean the same thing.  The CBA is unique - this board should reflect some of the characteristics of that uniqueness; but one of those characteristics is the level of accuracy achievable and that which is achieved in competition.)

Castboolets ( http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php?board=45.0>http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php?board=45.0 ) has the most functional organization out there (and the caryover from shooters.com):

Castboolets (general)

Moulds - maintenance and design

Group buys

Swaging (swaging CAST bullets)

Casting equipment

Reloading equipment

Paper patching

GBO has several related forums including LBT's, cast bullets, swaging (they accomodate cast bullet swaging when brought up), paper patching, etc.

http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php?board=45.0>http://www.go2gbo.coms/index.php?board=45.0

and accurate reloaing, although a bit slower in activity has collected some folks that have been outcast from other boards but have some good information and some novel ideas.  Also there are two or three other forums there that are related.( http:/s.accuratereloading.com/groupees/a/frm/f/1811043 )

Let me also add, that there are particular folks on each forum that I watch to learn from - on each and every one of them.  As too, there are some folks that I avoid because of their approach to life and their belittling of others; fortunately those are a SMALL minority.

Cast bullet development has come a long way in only the last 10 - 20 years - sharing the information about the techniques and knowledge is the key.

And another afterthought, the ASSRA board has it's niche as well - plain based bullets coupled with high accuracy. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 January 2008

Thanks TRK.. That was very insightful.

I have made a couple of changes with what little bit of time I have had to fiddle with it do far.

What has been done is not cast in stone so to speak, there is always room for improvement.

I have combined several of the old forums into one, ie: swap meet and added a couple to see if they will take off.

I can see some things from a bench rest aspect because that's what I shoot. Where I lack is BPCR, Muzzleloading to name just a couple.

I am considering making a new forum named Maximum Accuracy and putting that in the guns and shooting section.

If anyone has any additional comments or sugesstions, let me know.

Jeff

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 08 January 2008

I'm excited about the service that each of the boards offers!

There will always (had better be!) new folks in the learning process. Boards/organizations don't grow unless these folks are helped - and is the nature of this board - which doesn't come by accident.

One of the marks of a great restaraunt that I look for is the owner or the chef walking around to each table sometime during the evening - showing concern about quality. This thread is that mark.

Attached Files

X Shooter posted this 04 February 2008

Fine board as it is.  Only problem I have is when I back out of a room and end up at the top of the main page.  This means I have to scroll down to the door I want everytime I exit a door.  Pain in the rear  but this could also be to Firefox although this is the only board where this happens.

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 February 2008

That is somethng I can try to work on. What you see now is much different than what it was a week ago..

You can always do the workaround that I use, and I use Firefox also..

When you go to click on a link to another forum, just hold down the control key and the link will open in a new tab, when you close that tab you are right back where you left off...

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 04 February 2008

Jeff,

I like the new layout you have done, it works for me.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 04 February 2008

Let me echo the praise -  GOOD JOB!

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 05 February 2008

When creating a new Topic, one can fill-in a Subject and a Description.  Both appear in the “Table of Contents” (or whatever the list of topics is called) but the Description disappears when you click-into the Topic.

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 February 2008

I think the topic description only appears in the menu listing to describe in further detail what the topic is about so one can make a decision whether to spend time reading it or not.

If you notice in the replies there is no description. That is because they topic has already been described.

Myself personally I do not even use the description line when making a post.

I have noticed that not many other members here use it either...

Attached Files

Close