HEAVY PLAINBASE .30 CAL DESIGN HELP

• 5K Views
  • Last Post 21 January 2008
linoww posted this 27 December 2007

I am having LBT cut me a plainbase .30 for my 30-06 Springer' and other 30 cal shooting.I shoot them quite a bit,but the ones i have are no heavier than 155.I want a tapered bullet about 175-190 grains.

Any suggestions??

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 27 December 2007

what's the old plainbase that Lyman/Ideal  used to make...308403??? There's a starter.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 December 2007

The #308403 would not be my choice as the base band is way too large, example I had was .318” required sizing to .314 to fit into an unsized case, and still the base distorted and dragped a “fin” off the base corner as it entered the rifling. Nose portion was too small also.

I have used with good success a custom flatnose, 1.10” long, with 60 degree x.035 bevel base, three .080 driving bands .312 diameter, two .035 grooves, .012 deep, angled crimp groove .035 wide, .012 deep, cylindrical bore riding nose .303 diameter with 2 caliber tangent radius ogive and .187 diameter meplat.

Ask Veral to take those basic parameters and refine to his best practice, based on your twist and chamber cast of your barrel and throat.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 December 2007

Ed Harris wrote: I have used with good success a custom flatnose, 1.10” long, with 60 degree x.035 bevel base, three .080 driving bands .312 diameter, two .035 grooves, .012 deep, angled crimp groove .035 wide, .012 deep, cylindrical bore riding nose .303 diameter with 2 caliber tangent radius ogive and .187 diameter meplat.

What is the weight?

My chamber I am trying to get “fit” for has a .170 x .311 leade with about a 3 deg inc. angle to the .301 bore diameter.I was going to give Veral these dimensions.I am leaning towards an LBT Sp design of about 185 grains.I am not sure if Veral will cut a bevel base.Do you think there is an advantage to having one??

Is that 30 cal. HG 10 cav working out for your PB plinking?Bob asked me if you had played with it recently.

Geo.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 December 2007

Posted: Thu Dec 27th, 2007 10:38 am

what's the old plainbase that Lyman/Ideal  used to make...308403??? There's a starter.  

People have mixed feelings about that one.Most I know who used it dont like it  due to the things Ed mentioned.Joe Brennen seems to think it is grand according to an article in the fouling shot.I wonder what the truth it about that one??

I have a Lyman 150g(or so) 311241 that is a good shooting PB bullet, but is too light  and blunt for good 200 yd shooting.Thats why I want a heavier PB bullet.

Geo.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 28 December 2007

Are the PBB shooters using flat nose bullets?

And if one believes the old Frank Marshall stories he liked the 308403 which (in the stories) he shot in his .30/06.

I think the .318 front band was made to sit above the neck of the case, not in it.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 January 2008

188 from my alloy

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 02 January 2008

I am measuring a .175 x .310 cylindrical lead with an .090 transition to .3005 (about 2.5-3 deg. inc.) in my Springfield with a 4 groove HS barrel.Is this typical?It isnt what the SAAMI lead looks like. My 1917 also has a HS barrel of similar dimesnsions.Veral of LBT says these sound a bit “short” for an '06. I cant find the slugs i made a while back,but am prettty sure of my numbers.The weight of your bullet sounds perfect,who made it??

Geo.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 January 2008

George,

My bullet from an McLemore copy of Pope auto-ejector is 188 grs. in 1:30.

The H&G #254 works well in my .32 S&W Long bunny rifle and will get most use in that one. Casts a bit small for accurate revolver use, so will use only as a rifle plinker. I have some loaded with 5 grs. of Bullseye to try in the '06, but haven't been able to shoot them yet.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 02 January 2008

Ed Harris wrote: George,

My bullet from an McLemore copy of Pope auto-ejector is 188 grs. in 1:30.  I have seen pictures of them,wow is all I can say.They look beautiful.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 16 January 2008

Just got the LBT today.Veral made one to fit two of my Rifles with HS 4 groove barrels.I sent a slug from each rifle and he split the difference.

It looks good and fits well.I will shoot it tomarrow and see how it goes.

It is marked 314-190-SP and is a bevel base .314 body .308 nose spitzer.The body fits in the 30-06 neck perfectly with only the nose and a bit of the front band out and the nose engaging rifling.

The picture is of the first cast out of the mold heated over my pot then dipped a few seconds in the melt.

George

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 January 2008

George Why a bevel base?

Attached Files

Why a bevel base?

I wanted a bevel base for ease of loading and to try out the theory about “base finning” and the bevel base being an advantage.I'll find out if I am wrong tomarrow or the next day at the range.I will shoot my standard PB load of 12-13 of 2400 in the '06.I shoot a SAECO #630/140g and Lyman 311241/142g with this load with some groups into 1.25” with  modified irons and few are over 2-1/2".I hope this design will group about 1.0-1.75 MOA in good conditions (at 100 and 200 yds) and save me the cost of GC's

George

Attached Files

If you find it “leaks” and leaves some leading, try a poly wad.. Fred Cornell makes some mighty fine press mounted wad punches! I am thinking the same as you.. Them little hubcaps are getting pretty expensive!

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: If you find it “leaks” and leaves some leading, try a poly wad.. Fred Cornell makes some mighty fine press mounted wad punches! I am thinking the same as you.. Them little hubcaps are getting pretty expensive!

I had some punches borrowed,but the were drill press mounted. I use linotype or lino/ww mix on my plainbase loads and the p-checks didnt seem to help much. Also they were slow to make with the drill press system.I didnt know anybody still made them.I'd like to see one of Cornell jobs.Do you have a a contact number and pricing?Does he offer the seating “deal-io” to go with it.

George

Attached Files

I am packed to go to Phoenix tommorrow morning otherwise I would take a pic and post it. I think you can get a look at them at Buffalo Arms, they sell his punches. However if you need a specific size it is better to order it from Fred himself, about a week turn around. His contact info is on the links page.

I can make about 2 - 300 an hour.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/links.shtml>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/links.shtmlchrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png in the bullet moulds and accessories.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,245.html>http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,245.htmlchrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png here is a pic of his punch..

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 17 January 2008

Geo.

B.W. Darr makes excellent molds. I just recently got a PB 30ca. wt 190 gr, and he can make it up to 200gr. I've had B.W. make me other molds , and more than satisfied with the quality and they all have shot great.

Bob

Attached Files

linoww posted this 17 January 2008

My new PB LTB did decent today despite the cold and bit of wind.The best group was 1.5” the worst was 2.25".All were shot at 100 yds,5 shot groups.For the first time out it was promising.Six groups were shot.

They were shot in a 1903 Springfield with 12.4 of 2400 with the standard blade ft and a Lyman 48 rear.

George

Attached Files

GWarden wrote: Geo.

B.W. Darr makes excellent molds. I just recently got a PB 30ca. wt 190 gr, and he can make it up to 200gr. I've had B.W. make me other molds , and more than satisfied with the quality and they all have shot great.

Bob

How do I get hold of him?? I am very happy with my LBT's but quality moulds and junky rifles are a habit of mine.

George

Attached Files

Geo.

B.W. Darr 724-455-5837. He is not the easiest to get on the phone.

Bob

Attached Files

Thanks for the number.

What does he charge,material of blocks,cherry or lathe cut?

Many questions<G>

George

Attached Files

$115 and you don't pay until you have used the mold and that the bullet does what you want. I'm not sure how he cuts them.

Bob

Attached Files

Good deal.I'll have to give him a call.Did you design the bullet from scratch or was it an in stock item?

George

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 18 January 2008

Geo.

It was an in-stock item, he will design what ever you want.

Bob

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 January 2008

Can you post a pic of your bullet and the mold???

Attached Files

DonH posted this 21 January 2008

For information or ordering a “Darr” mould contact Jim Borton at 937-667-5027. The moulds are the product of a joint effort between Jim and Barry. Barry does the design and make cherries and Jim cuts the moulds. these days I believe they require a throat slug or cast from your rufle.

I have two of their moulds here; both of spitzer form. These both have a not-to-long ogive and long bearing length and are both .322 dia. One of the two belong to friend who shoots it from a .32-40 Darr barrel on a high wall. I witnessed 6 or 7 shots going into roughly 1” at 200 yds before the wind changed a POI changed opening the group. Both of these .32 B&D moulds drop bullets at .220 gr.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 21 January 2008

Thanks for the contact info.

Geo.

Attached Files

Close