.327 Federal Magnum

• 18K Views
  • Last Post 09 December 2008
billwnr posted this 26 December 2007

I see there's a longer version of the .32 H&R Mag coming out and I wonder when it will be chambered in the Contender.   I would think that a re-throat of a Contender barrel and it would be real good for cast bullets.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bruce posted this 26 December 2007

There has been some discussion of this new round in both .32 Popguns and also the topic of “Why do manufacturers believe that a successful new cartridge should make your hand sting and your ears ring” or something like that.

Perhaps the “POP” is a bit more than the pop we are looking for?

I may end up purchasing one of the new Ruger SP101s chambered for this round.

Bruce

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 26 December 2007

The .32H&R is a bit snappy in the SSM. What I want to see is the new one come out in a Contender. I think the case length should be just about right for 150 grain cast bullets.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 December 2007

billwnr wrote: The .32H&R is a bit snappy in the SSM. What I want to see is the new one come out in a Contender. I think the case length should be just about right for 150 grain cast bullets.

I had one with the shorter 4-5/8” (?) barrel and thats the truth!!.It was in my youth (yoot to you New Yorkers)and I had to shoot hot loads and I hadnt thought of loading a “magnum” down.It also was very hard to get cases in and out of the undersized(IMHO) loading gate.My .357 BH was a better deal and cheaper to shoot so I got rid of the SSM.I foung one of the Bisley 32's a year ago with a longer 6" barrel for a buddy and it is a sweeeeeet gun.I shot one of my smallest ever iron sight groups with it at his 20 yd range.it looked like 6  shots into one 44 caliber hole,I never shoot pistols that well.It still was a hassle getting cases in and out though.I have first refusal if he sells that gun regardless.

I would like to try the .327 Fed. case in a Ruger #1 set up for plainbase loads.I have a reamer for 30 x 357 mag I had planned to use,but a straight case and standard dies is a better deal.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

carlo posted this 28 January 2008

Right. Since I signed  up here specifically to talk about this new cartridge, I guess I'll jump in, if no-one objects.

Been reloading and casting bullets for quite a few years for .32 Smith and Wesson Long, so I have a bit of experience already with this particular type.

It's kind of interesting that in order to prevent use of the new, higher pressure cartridge in the “weak” H and R magnum pistols, we have a cartridge that was already longer than it needed to be, increased in length yet again. I have no doubt that if I wanted to, I could match the H and R magnum cartridge, and maybe even the new Federal cartridge just by loading the Smith and Wesson Long to capacity with a slower burning powder as used in the two magnum cartridges. At one point, I spent some time talking to people at Bullberry and other barrel manufacturers about getting a custom barrel for a T-C Contender chambered in Smith and Wesson Long that would allow me to explore the potential of this cartridge without risking damage to my Smith and Wesson J-frame (keeping in mind that since modern S&W Long cartridges are loaded to be safe in the old top-break “lemon squeezer"  revolvers, I've gone somewhat beyond listed ballistics already without ill-effect). Unfortunately, the makers of T-C barrels I've talked to only offer .308 diameter barrels. Seems to be counter-productive towards exeperimenting with higher-pressure loads to be stuffing a bullet that's sized to .312 into a .308 bore. I understand, from reading comments about this new Federal Cartridge elsewhere, that new pistols for  it use .308 bore barrels. Does this mean  that it's really a .30 caliber cartridge? I haven't seen anything  so far that specifies the bullet diameter for this cartridge.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 30 January 2008

Carlo; I believe that you can get an SSK barrel (.312") chambered in the .32 caliber of your choice. I bought one about a year ago in .32 H&R Magnum for my Contender carbine (22” barrel). I had some eye problems last year requiring surgery so did not get to shoot it as much as I had planned. “God willing and the creeks don't rise,” I'll do “serious” work with it this year. Give J.D. Jones a call at SSK Industries and see if he can't supply what you need:

http://www.sskindustries.com/

Dale53

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 January 2008

bruce wrote: I may end up purchasing one of the new Ruger SP101s chambered for this round.

I bought one of these SP101's in the 327 Fedral caliber :cool:

However I have yet to shoot it ! My dealer has not been able to get me any factory ammo , as I want the brass for reloading !

Sure I could borrow some 32 MAG ammo that I have loaded for the Marlin or the little Single Six , but I bought this thing to shoot the 327 Federal in ! So I'll just wait awhile ;)

Incidently it is not my intention to use this round as a cast bullet round ! I have a Single Six in 32 MAG which I already do that with !

Attached Files

carlo posted this 10 February 2008

Very cool. Thank you Dale. You just made me glad I joined this forum. Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at their site right now. Oh, and do you mind if I ask how much you payed for your barrel? That sounds almost exactly like what I'm looking for.

Dale53 wrote: Carlo; I believe that you can get an SSK barrel (.312") chambered in the .32 caliber of your choice. I bought one about a year ago in .32 H&R Magnum for my Contender carbine (22” barrel). I had some eye problems last year requiring surgery so did not get to shoot it as much as I had planned. “God willing and the creeks don't rise,” I'll do “serious” work with it this year. Give J.D. Jones a call at SSK Industries and see if he can't supply what you need:

http://www.sskindustries.com/>http://www.sskindustries.com/

Dale53

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 February 2008

Carlo; It HAS been a year so I don't remember exactly. However, I believe it was somewhere around $400.00. You had best check with J.D.

Dale53

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 February 2008

Here are some pics of my little Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal !

And another picture of the little revolver inside a Bianchi “Black Widow #5” right hand tan holster !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 February 2008

For comparisons sake .

My Ruger Single Six 32 MAG and my Ruger SP101 327 Federal :cool:

Although I have none of the 327 Federal cases , I do have the one case they now send with the revolvers . So here it is beside a 32 H&R MAG case for comparison .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 March 2008

Hi, I just got my new A.Rifleman, and after reading that 9 pages of agonized, whining, repetitious review of the .327 Fed mag cartridge, I had a migraine and nasea attack.

Jeepers, at first my thought was ” Hey, a modern 32-20, with heavy duty brass .. neato ... but after another 45 minutes of reading the same paragraph ( I think ) over and over .... ( ok, I kept dozing off, or was it going into a coma ... ) ... the wifey had to put the paddles on my chest to get me back ...

Dang!  and the _ Rifleman _ had been getting better the last few years ....   I long ago cancelled my Guns and Ammo subscriptions ...

Far better than a 38 special ?? who cares?            as good as a .357 Maggy ....  for what?  Insult me, thats what the article done did .... phew ....

Don't get me wrong, guys, I think the .327 Fed brass is a fun thing, but I just hate to have my nose shoved into it ... ....

Hmmm... wonder how it would work on a Ruger 1 and that aging Lilja 308 barrel I have in the back ....   would it get me respect offhand at the local tin can buster matches ?

just blowing off steam, ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 20 March 2008

Ken; It is funny you panning that American Rifleman article. I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought it was one of the most interesting articles I have read in the “mostly pitiful” AM in several years.

When the .327 was announced I thought “H0-Hum"... I have been a fan of the .32 S&W L and the .32 H&R Mag for some time shooting several thousand reloads (mostly S&W L as I shoot ,32's mostly at targets). I cast my own bullets so the cost is less than .22's and for some reason I find centerfires more satisfying to shoot. The .32's are  better small game rounds in my carefully considered opinion.

At any rate, after reading the article, I may change my mind. However, I am NOT going to order one until someone is making good brass for them. Federal seriously let down their customers when they quit making components for consumers right after the .32 H&R Magnum hit the streets. Further, the brass in their early factory loads was JUNK. I will NOT make that mistake again (buy a gun and then find I can't get components). If Starline starts making brass in this caliber, then I might seriously consider it.

Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 March 2008

I too was disappointed in the American Rifleman article on the .327 Federal.

Even though Ruger is trying to sell the SP101 as a “belly gun,"  it weighs 28 ounces, has a 3-inch barrel and adjustable sights, so it really isn't.  It is a “sort of” carry piece, which is a bit too large, a bit too heavy, with too many projections and sharp corners for a smooth draw.  It's more of a wannabe “kit gun.”

So doing the accuracy testing at SEVEN YARDS is a joke!  Who are they kidding? In the old days the only reason we'd shoot at 7 yards was because the gun was such a dog that showing 25 yard results would be embarassing to the manufacturer.  It was a nice way of saying, “this thing is really a piece of crap and nobody in their right mind should buy it." 

To treat a quality Ruger product in that way is an insult. If I were Ruger's advertising manager I wouldn't be too pleased.  I'd be sure they had enough ammo and support to do a thorough test which showcased the product in its best form.  Nothing quick, dirty and slapdash as was done here.  

So, the author's excuse was “not having enough ammo."  When I was on the Tech staff we dealt with this problem all the time.  

First, you can RELOAD the empty brass!

Second, you test other ammos which people can actually GET, and which the manufacturer says will work in it: .32 HRM, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W.  I'd try .32 ACP too, just because I want to know.  Potential users will want to know what they can expect for accuracy and velocity with these ammos too, compared to the .32 HRM SP101?  I would have done that, especially since there is only one source of ammo and no other brass yet.  This is kind of basic, duuhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So what if there's no load data?  A competent technician experiments carefully.

You chronograph the factory load.  You pull a factory round down.  You weigh the powder charge. You examine the powder under a microscope and make your best guess as to how much they loaded of "something like..." 

Then you carefully assemble a few test reloads using the “best fit” of off-the-shelf components you can get.  Gee, you might even try cast bullets? 

You put the revolver in the Ransom Rest, shoot a few over the chronograph, grab some accuracy data while you do this, so you don't waste any ammo.  For the first “guess and by God” rounds, good safety procedure requires using a long string to pull the trigger until you know you won't blow anything up.  Then you adjust the charge to approximate factory ballistics, if you can without adverse indicators.  You then party on...

When I was on the NRA Tech Staff tech we were faced all the time with a situation where there was not enough factory ammo in a new caliber to conduct a thorough test or no Ransom rest inserts which fit the new gun.  We never let that deter us. 

We improvised reloads as best as we could.   We took blank Ransom Rest inserts, froze the rubber in liquid nitrogen so that it could be inlet them in a milling machine, then bedded them tightly to the frame with Brownell's Acraglas gel and shot the darned thing.  No brainer!

These so-called “field editors” they use today (with one or two notable exceptions)  are “amateurs.”  They do try, but most really don't have adequate resources and they are not allowed enough time under advertising pressure publication deadlines to do a “proper” write up in the way I would have been tasked to do so back in the 1970s and 80s.  That is the fault of today's NRA which is more interested in fund raising and advertising dollars than publishing an informative technical magazine.

The NRA no longer wants to support an in-house Tech staff of mechanical engineers, ex law enforcement and military people who understand small arms.  It would rather pay much less money to well meaning, enthusiastic, but less competent “wannabe writers” who work cheap.  They don't obtain adequate industry support, or permit adequate turn around time on articles or reimburse enough in support expenses for field editors to “do it right,” that is, presuming they know how.

The news stand gun rags today are whore mongers whose mission is to sell the advertisers product.  Only The Fouling Shot can be completely honest because it doesn't depend upon advertising revenue for its very survival and our publication is by the members and for the members, being responsible only to the members - like the NRA used to be before it changed from a membership organization to a fund raising engine. If this seems cynical, it is, because I've seen it happen before my eyes, been here and done that, and left the collective to resume life in the real world.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 March 2008

Ed What do you think about Gun Tests magazine? Are they objective? Are they one of the notable few you mention?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 March 2008

Jeff Bowles wrote: Ed What do you think about Gun Tests magazine? Are they objective? Are they one of the notable few you mention?

The “few” I refered to are a couple of the gun writers and NRA contributing editors who do a pretty good job in spite of the constraints they exist under.

Gun Facts is objective for as much as they report, which is only a “taste.” They are still enthusiastic wannabees and are not a “Consumer Reports” type of organization able to conduct a thorough safety assessment and performance test.  They are very limited in the what they do and they could do much better in terms of use of standard engineering test methods and procedures.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 March 2008

Hi Ed ... the following might be contrued as a bit of a ” suck-up ” (g) but no sooner had I put down ( threw down, actually ) my ARifleman ... than my wifey mentioned that my latest _The Fouling Shot _ had arrived ....  damn !  great timeing, I needed that.

Anyway, what a great relief .. what an issue .... and your great article on developing   ” Guard  ” loads .... hey you captured the whole fun thing of shootin !!  was near a 9.8 ...   thank you thank you thank you ...  and there were several other very interesting articles also ....

........ and re: AR, not since Col. Whelen would anybody dare write anything about trying Cream Of Wheat and blowing a hole in their garage ...   K. Mollohan keeps writing about his bizarre experiments, and I keep  eating them up ....  with a name like Ken, maybe he is one of my cousins ... there are quite a few of them around, from down here in the northern ozarks and all ...

Anyway, today everything is just fine, and again, the idea of a modernized .32-20 is just fine with me ... I used to shoot a genuine M92 in 32-20, usually with Ideal 3118 Hollow Point .. devastating on feral cats ... oops, ...

just some thoughts, now back to lurking ; ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

carlo posted this 20 March 2008

I just read the  review of the new cartridge in the latest issue of American Rifleman.

I'm very impressed with the test specs.

They claim just over 1300 fps from the new Ruger revolver, and about 2000 fps from an unspecified rifle length barrel.  That's pretty close to the M1 Carbine. I wonder what velocity the Carbine round produced in those Ruger single action revolvers they used to make?

I may be ordering  a 20 inch barrel for my Contender in this cartridge.  I can always use my .32 Longs in it as well.

Attached Files

ArtR32-20 posted this 23 March 2008

I am new to this forum. I have been a fan of the 32-20 for years and i have shot/plinked with a 30 carbine since I was a kid. Aren't they just reinventing those two cartridges? And can anyone tell me if the bullets in the 327 mag are actually .308?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 March 2008

ArtR32-20 wrote: I am new to this forum. I have been a fan of the 32-20 for years and i have shot/plinked with a 30 carbine since I was a kid. Aren't they just reinventing those two cartridges? And can anyone tell me if the bullets in the 327 mag are actually .308? NEGATIVE!  They are .312"  same as the .32 H&R Magnum.

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 24 March 2008

While I am a .32-20 fan and have a Savage Model 23 and a Marlin 1894CL I must admit the .32 H&R Magnum and now the .327 Federal make more sense for a small game rifle. The brass is a bit easier to work with.

I have been a fan of .32 caliber small game rifles for a long time. My wife and I have a 24� TC barrel and a Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum. These are two fine small game rifles.

I became seriously interested in these rifles while I was in Vietnam. General Vernon E. MeGee wrote and article in the April  1971 issue of Shooting Times entitled “.32 S&W Long is Rifle Fodder too. This story was about his Ruger No. 1 barreled for the .32 S&W Long cartridge. If you are a Cav. guy you will remember Gen. MeGee for his contributions to the book: “Small Wars.â€? If you are a long time reader of the American Rifleman you will remember his articles on the .25-20.

With the good Generals article on my mind I was pretty excited when Ed Harris wrote his article for the American Rifleman: The .32 Lives!� This article pictures Ellis Lea holding his Remington 788 barreled for the .32 S&W Long.

Ross Seyfried wrote: “.32 H&R Mag, New Combo for the ‘80's.â€? This is a serious reloading article dealing with the Ruger No. 3 and the Ruger Single Six Bisley.

Ed's recent articles on the .32 H&R Mag. have been great fun to read.

Charter Arms tells me they will have a 4â€? Kit Gin out by the end of this Month and that will probably be my first .327 Federal  We have a 4â€? S&W M-631 Kit Gun that is a lot of fun. With 115-grain cast bullets it will bring a porcupine out of a tree with a lung shot.  

Slim

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 08 June 2008

Ed.

I am looking at the new .327 Federal cartridge and loading for our new 4â€? Charter Arms Patriot. My initial impressions of the cartridge and handgun are very positive. I have a bit of experience loading for the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum cartridges. As a kid I watched Ken Waters and Dean Grennell work with the .32 S&W Long cartridge and followed their call for a “Super .32.â€?

The CCI .327 Federal loaded with the 115-grain Gold Dot bullet chronograph 1,433 fps from our 4� barrel Patriot. It certainly looks like the .327 Magnum is every thing we hoped the .32 H&R Magnum would be when it was introduced.

We can duplicate these velocities using Winchester 296, Hodgdon 110 and Lil' Gun in the 7.5� barreled Ruger Blackhawk, Single Six Bisley and the S&W K-32, but case life is short due to primer pocket loosening in less than eight rounds. The .32 Magnum case is just not designed for this intensity.

I am using Starline brass untrimmed (Starline leaves the .32 H&R Magnum case long ”€œ 1.090â€? ”€œ for use in the Thompson Contender) and loading a 115-grain plain base lead bullet to 1,000 fps just to establish a performance base line. I am using Alliant 2400, Hodgdon 110 and Lil' Gun.

I am looking for a mid range load ”€œ 900 fps - and there are several powders suitable for this type of loading.

While reviewing possible powders I was reminded of your preference for SR 7625 in the .32 H&R Magnum. I have always wondered if your preference for SR 7625 was due to its high performance from small powder charges.

Alliant Unique is just a bit faster than the SR 7625 and 5.0 grains of Unique is a good heavy charge for 90- and 100-grain bullets in the .32 Magnum. A minor problem when using Unique is it delivers its best performance at rather high pressure and it is a bit hard on brass. I am using an RCBS Electronic powder dispenser so I have no difficulty with uniform charge weights.

When using a mechanical dispenser is there an advantage to SR 7625? Have you noticed an advantage with SR 7625 over other powders when loading for short barrel revolvers?

The Ruger Single Six and Buckeye Blackhawk revolvers have rough chambers when delivered from the factory. These rough chambers will cause cases to stick in the chambers when the same loads fired in a Smith & Wesson K-frame or the Ruger SP 101 will allow the cases to freely extract. Ruger used roller burnished chambers in the SP 101 and I have wondered why they did not do this in the SSX and Blackhawk .32 Magnum chambers. The Charter Arms Patriot has freely extracts all cases.

I believe the only way for the .327 Federal to succeed the market place is for component brass to be made available quickly. I well remember the shortage of component brass for the .32 H&R Magnum. The loaded ammunition and component brass was scarce and the Federal unprimed cases were expensive ($9.00 for 50) and poorly heat treated as half of the cases would fail on the first or second firing due to longitudinal splits. Many silhouette shooters and small game hunters were discouraged from trying the cartridge because of these shortages. The .327 Federal will make a fine self defense and small game hunting cartridge if it is allowed to develop a following. I paid $26.00 (including tax) for 20 CCI 115-grain Gold Dot cartridges ”€œ this $1.30 per shot and you don't practice much at that price. I ordered the same cartridge for about $19.00 from Midsouth but that is still expensive.

Slim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Ed Harris posted this 11 June 2008

Bill,

The 7625 I loaded in the .32 HRM years ago was older DuPont product ca. 1974 and was faster than that being sold today.  A charge of 3.5 grs. gave about 1050 fps with the 98-gr. Saeco #325 in .32 S&W Long cases and 4.5 grs. was a full-charge load in HRM cases.

I used the 7625 mainly because I used to use it for loading 20-ga. but no longer did so and wanted to use it up.  It is one of the best powders for .45 ACP and .38 Special wadcutter is you want a bulkier powder which almost fills the case.  About 3.3 grs. of old 7625 with a 148-gr. HBWC gave factory wadcutter ballistics in the .38 Special and 5 grs. with a 200-gr. H&G #130 was a good wadcutter target load in the .45 ACP.  I also loaded quite alot of it in the .375 H&H using 14 grs. with the #375449 without the GC for about 1300 fps.

I have not used current 7625, so your mileage may vary.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 June 2008

After having a 327 Federal for about 4 months I finally got around to shooting it saturday .

I shot about 4 cylinders full ! Took one to figure where to hold on the 50 metter chicken and then plinked away at him !

I was shooting the “American Eagle” cheap ammo .

Little revolver is okay ! Only fault I could find was the rather loud report !

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 16 June 2008

6Pt,

What cast bullets will you use?

I have been shooting the Sure Shot version of the Lyman 311008, RCBS 98 grain SWC and the Lyman 100 grain GC SWC.

I'll fire up the lead pot soon and cast some NEI 100 grain SWC and the 98 grain wadcutter.

I believe the cartridge will be at its best with the 115 grain bullets but time will tell.

I bought the 115 grain Gold Dot and the 85 grain Federal loads from Mid South. Where did you get the American Eagle loads?

Edit> I forgot to mention I loaded some .30 Carbine and .32-20 for a comparison of the .327 loads. I would like to get the temperature under 100 degrees before shooting them but may have to go out in the heat.

Slim

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 June 2008

william iorg wrote: 6Pt,

What cast bullets will you use?

The 327 Federal in the little Ruger SP101 will be a jacketed bullet only proposition !

However if I can get a Blackhawk or Single Six set up for 327 Federal I would like to try the Lyman 311316GC mould !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 30 June 2008

Bill , I had my local dealer order me two boxes of the El Cheapo stuff . I “think” he got it from AccuSport as that is who he does a good bit of his buisness with ! Although it very well may have come from Jerry's or Shirk's .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 28 August 2008

Loaded up some stuff fot the 327 tonight ! Am hoping to hit the range tommorrow and or monday !

I had a box of Hornady 85 grain XTP seconds that someone had given me . I loaded about 35 of them ! Charged them all with 7 grains of SR4756 . Should be about 1200 fps according to the IMR data .

Still don't plan on shooting cast in this little revolver . However I am thinking seriousely of having a third cylinder done for my Buckeye Special Blackhawk in 327 Federal !  Talked with a gunsmith named Huntington in california and he told me he could do the job easy enough all he needed was a 30 Carbine cylinder and he could do the rest easy enough ! Think if memory serves he said he had a extra 30 Carbine cylinder in his shop then .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 December 2008

Now almost a year since the cartridge was introduced the only source of .327 Federal brass is the Speer or Federal ammo at a buck a pop. Starline has .32 HRM brass for about 15 cents a copy, but no .327.

I got a chance to fire briefly an SP101 that a fellow had at an indoor range. The front sight wasn't the correct height for 100-gr. bullets and shot about 6 inches high at 25 yards. I fired some 85-gr. .32 H&R Mag. handloads which were closer to point of aim, but still a few inches high. We could no no better than 3-4 inches at 25 yards shooting off sandbags. It doesn't shoot as accurately as my 2-inch SP101 .38 Special snubby with wadcutters. Disappointing. I can do about as well with my better .32 ACP pocket guns.

I was curious if anyone else has had a chance to shoot one of these very much. I'm going to save my money, resist any temptation to buy one of these and thank the Gun Fairy for bringing me a strong, 1972 production Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police to keep my S&W Model 31 and old S&W .32 Model Hand Ejector company.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 09 December 2008

Ed Harris wrote: I was curious if anyone else has had a chance to shoot one of these very much.  

I think I may have shot mine about 100 times all told ! The first 50 rounds were all factory ammo and then about 50 rounds of reloads !

Also still have a 50 box of factory I've not touched ! I still think I'd like to have a Single Six or Blackhawk for this cartridge .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 December 2008

6pt-sika wrote: I think I may have shot mine about 100 times all told ! The first 50 rounds were all factory ammo and then about 50 rounds of reloads !

Also still have a 50 box of factory I've not touched ! I still think I'd like to have a Single Six or Blackhawk for this cartridge .

I think that folks would sure like to know how well it does with handloads using the Starline .32 H&R Magnum brass which is readily available.  This data dates from 1994, but would be suitable for a strong revolver:

Date: 24 Mar 94 19:33:34 From: Ed Harris To: All Subj: .32 H&R Mag. +P+ Test Data

The machine “loading limit” for the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge is 20,000 p.s.i., but handloaders often try to get higher velocities than factory ammunition in strong guns such as the Ruger SP101 and Single-Six.  The problem in attempting to do this is that no pressure tested data is available to approximate “.357 Magnum” equivalent pressures which are known to be within the design limit of the Ruger revolvers. I state here for the record that Sturm, Ruger and Company does not condone the use of reloaded or handloaded ammunition, and these loads are not approved by them or anybody else.

I worked up these loads in my own Ruger Single-Six revolver. The 85-gr. loads work quite well and extract easily, but the 100-gr. loads, while they worked OK in an SP101 having roller burnished chambers, gave sticky extraction in the Single Six. I felt it would be useful to know what the difference in pressure was between loads which extracted easily and those most handloaders would agree were crowding the “envelope.” The relative difference is about 7-10,000 psi. Loads in the 30,000 psi range worked fine in both revolvers, but those approaching 40,000 gave problems in the Single Six.  These data were obtained using an Oehler System 82 and .32 H&R Magnum SAAMI dimensioned pressure/velocity test barrel. All loads assembled in new factory primed Federal cases. All data are corrected to calibration test firings of SAAMI Reference ammunition in accordance with standard industry practice.

100-gr. Hornady XTP, 4.5 grs. SR-7625 Mean 1180 f.p.s., 37,846 psi EXCESSIVE REDUCE TO 4 GRS. Range 32 f.p.s.4785 psi Sd 9 f.p.s.__1524psi

85 Hornady XTP, 5.0 grs. W231 Mean 1317 f.p.s., 32,851 psi , MAX but OK, DO NOT EXCEED! Range57 f.p.s., 6445psi Sd_17 fp.s., 1925psi

85 Hornady XTP, 4.5 grs. SR-7625

Mean1216 f.p.s., 27,882 psi OK, GOOD LOAD Range85 f.p.s.,_ 9692 psi Sd  __26f.ps., _3006 psi

100 Hornady XTP, 5.0 grs. W231 Mean1264 f.p.s., 40,202 psi, EXCESSIVE, REDUCE TO 4.0  GRS. Range_32 f..p.s., _6006psi

Sd_12 f.p.s., 1999 psi The above 85-gr. loads should be safe in the Ruger SP101 and Single Six as listed. Prudent reloading practice demands you should reduce the load 5% and work up cautiously to these charges, to provide a safety margin for any variations in guns or components.

In my opinion the same charges with the 100-gr. bullets are excessive, as evidenced by sticky extraction, and must be reduced a minimum of 5 percent, and that charge reduction considered maximum. The charge listed should be reduced by 10% for initial trials in your revolver. The above data are provided for the information of experienced hand loaders only who use the above data entirely at their own risk. 

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 09 December 2008

Ed when I bought the little 327 Federal I couldn't get any 327 ammo to try in it !

I already have a couple Ruger's that are chambered for the 32 H&R MAG so obviousely I already had brass dies and bullets .

But I chose not to shoot the 32 H&R MAG in the little revolver . And I still feel that way ! I don't shoot 38's in 357 revolers or 44 Special's in any of my 44 Mags .

Attached Files

Close