Costs?

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 04 December 2007
zap posted this 03 December 2007

Being stark new to the idea of casting bullets, what sort of costs can I anticipate once I'm set up?  I've looked around for a bit, but can't seem to find anything on the topic.

I've heard claims of next to nothing to slightly more than that.

I've much experience in casting lead for other purposes, so can't imagine this can be all that different.  However, I see some of you folks really take your casting seriously!

Any guidence you all could/would provide will certainly be needed and appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 03 December 2007

your costs will be gaschecks ($25K per M) and lube ($4 per M bullets) and maybe wheelweights, depending on whether you find a source of free ones.

The biggest cost will be that new rifle and scope (or revolver) once casting gets you hooked.

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 December 2007

Gheezh Bill, you didn't have to tell him about the gun...

Seriously, I think Bill meant that gass checks are around $25 per thousand and lube (good lube) runs about $4 per stick. How much lube you use depends greatly on how much it takes to lube the particular bullet you want to use.

Keith style pistol bullets use more lube than a Lyman 311299 rifle bullet, because the lube groove is larger on the Keith.

If I were you I would start scrounging for lead enmass now.

What do you plan on casting first? Maybe we can guide you down the least expensive path.

My wife says I am good at being cheap, something about coal and a diamond, but you get my point...

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 December 2007

My basic revolver “load” was a pot full of wheelweights and about 1 foot of 50/50 solder which made the mould fill out. I wasn't concerned with repeatability of my alloy composition back then. This alloy produced good revolver bullets up to around 1100 fps and good shooting gaschecked rifle bullets to about 1700 fps.

Since solder is now 95/5 a 1 pound spool of it would go lots further.

A “tube” of lube lasts somewhere around 1K bullets.

Attached Files

454PB posted this 04 December 2007

Welcome to the forum!

If you are really determined, you can start casting and shoot very well on less than $75. That would be a Lee double cavity mould, Lee sizer kit (which includes their liquid alox lube), a dipper, and some kind of pot for melting. You obviously already own a heat source and some alloy. If it turns out to be your passion, figure another $500 to go first class in several calibers.

Attached Files

zap posted this 04 December 2007

My intention is to load .40 S&W to cut the costs of my range time --thereby allowing for more of it.  (180s or close to compare with my duty rounds)

Should this be economical and not too time consuming, I will likely move to 9mm and then even to my little .380 BUG

As for lead, I have a local commercial supplier who is willing to supply at his going rate (about 58 cents per pound as of yesterday)  I highly doubt I could find free or cheap from the tire places today like I used to do for sinkers and lure bodies.

It seems, from what I have read here, that there is great differences in casting molds.  I was looking at the Lee 6 cavity .401-175 TC.  I normally shoot Winchester whitebox, then reload with Ranier copper plated 180s over 5.8 grains of Power Pistol.  A little light according to the books...but very comparable in performance I think.

Do you see much difference in the costs of operatng a 220v furnace as opposed to a 110 volt?  We always used propane for a heat source in the past, but for this, I think I'd want something a little more reliable and consistent.

--and thanks for the help all!

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 December 2007

That Lee mould is a pretty good choice, I have that mould and it works great! Make sure you buy the Lee Mould Handles! It looks like it has a handle in the pic's, but that is for opening the mould.(handles are on sale at midwayusa for 10.99 right now, http://www.midwayusa.com%29>http://www.midwayusa.comchrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png )

Furnance - Everyone knows 220 is a little cheaper from a power consumption aspect, but the 110 will serve you well for less money in the cost of the unit.

58 cents a pound is pretty good, I would certainly get as much as you can afford, it aint gonna get any cheaper! For the 40 cal mould you should get around 38 bullets per pound, give or take a couple...

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 December 2007

I wouldn't hesitate to check the tire places for free lead. I got some lead from another source yesterday.

Attached Files

So, we are talking about $16/thousand.  Double it for the electricity etc, and it cuts the price of 1m bullets to about 1/3.

This is sounding like a better idea already.

I priced the new Lee furnance, sizer, mold handles etc at http://www.factorysales.com/>http://www.factorysales.com/ and without shipping it looked like it would be just over a $100 bill.

Attached Files

454PB posted this 04 December 2007

The cost of electricity for casting is small. My Lee Pro-4-20 has an 800 watt element. That means it costs 8 cents per hour to run if it ran constantly (electricity is 10 cents per KWH where I live). After the initial heat up and melt, it probably cycles to the point where the thermostat is actually only closed 50% to 60% of the time (I've tested this with a clamp on ammeter). So, you could cast for 4 hours and only use 30 to 40 cents worth of electricity. Using a 6 cavity mould, that should yield around 1500 to 2000 bullets after you get “fast". The lube for your bullets will cost more than that!

Attached Files

Thats good to hear.  I checked with some of the places that I used to get WW from and discovered that someone has been getting them for years now and they aren't willing to sell them on the cheap to me.  <8\

Attached Files

shooter93 posted this 04 December 2007

All said and done...molds, lubes, tools etc you'll gather up....figure somewhere around 6 million bucks

Attached Files

Close