22-250

• 8.4K Views
  • Last Post 16 March 2016
joeb33050 posted this 08 January 2016

I got the $50 delivered Savage 22-250 barrel, took out a lot of copper, got it clean and screwed it on to a Savage M10. This is a 22” sporter barrel, kind of wispy.   On 1/6/16 I shot it with ammunition I'd loaded for the Striker. 225646M, unsized, GC, LLA, Titegroup 5 five shot 100 yard groups, got scope adjusted 6.0 grains avg 1.87" 7.0 grains avg 2.57"   1/8/16 225646M, unsized, GC, LLA, Titegroup 5 five shot 100 yard groups Set up targets l-r sighter, 5.7 gr., 6.0 gr. 6.3 gr. I shot 5 sighters to get going, went to the far right target, 6.3 gr, and shot a 3.8” group.   Alternated targets, 6.3, 6.0, 5.7, 6.3”¦back and forth   5.7 gr avg 1.385" 6.0 gr avg 1.44" 6.3 gr avg 1.89", without the 3.8” group, 1.413"   This is the best day I've had with a 22 cf in over 3 years of working on it.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Attached Files

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 January 2016

looks like you are beating the 2 moa threshold, joeb ... sure wish we knew what happened in that 4 inch group ...

and real happy that you got a 22-250 working better than average .... especially with a small pinch of titegroup ....

now you have something reliable enough to test some common sense ideas with ...

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 09 January 2016

So, unless it falls apart, it looks like this old cheap barrel will shoot < 2", maybe < 1.5".

What do I change to get it shooting better?

Bullets from a 2 cavity mold, visually inspected under 3X magnification, not weighed. GC crimped on in 450, LLA with mineral spirits. Hornady brass, chamfered in, not trimmed, not neck turned, no primer pocket uniforming, no flash hole deburred, not weighed. After firing, deprimed, inside neck wiped with Q tip and Marvel Mystery Oil, FL sized in RCBS dies, Lyman M died so GC goes in case mouth, inside neck wiped clean with Q tip. Powder dropped with Lyman 55 after setting with a scale, powder checked with flashlight. Bullets seated with RCBS die, each bullet wiped with LLA/mineral spirits = thinned, with fingers. Weaver T36, Hoppes $30 rest, ~1970,  with sandbag, good rear sandbag.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 January 2016

i wonder if we have enough data to say that some barrels shoot better than others ??

if so, me personally i would hand lead lap your barrel in an effort to make it even better .

i always lead lapped my shilen y douglas match grade barrels and the never got worse ...which is important ( g ) . some barrels cut the groups in half . maybe they would have eventually shot better anyway ....

pretty scary stuff ... and remember i collect barrels, so that might account for my having no fear of you putting grit in yours ( g ) .

slightly more radical, although i would do it, if lead lapping is too much hassle ( takes 2 hours ) you could shoot 6 only firelaps with a mj bullet with 280 grit ground in .

since you asked ... you might consider rethroating to about 1/2 degree or so ....makes common sense, right ??? what could go wrong ???

just trying to help ...honest ...

ken

edit :  oh, how is the thread fit in your savage ....before you tighten the nut ??  also i forgot ...is your savage really well bedded...as in pillar bedded ???  just checking ...

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 09 January 2016

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i wonder if we have enough data to say that some barrels shoot better than others ??

if so, me personally i would hand lead lap your barrel in an effort to make it even better .

i always lead lapped my shilen y douglas match grade barrels and the never got worse ...which is important ( g ) . some barrels cut the groups in half . maybe they would have eventually shot better anyway ....

pretty scary stuff ... and remember i collect barrels, so that might account for my having no fear of you putting grit in yours ( g ) .

slightly more radical, although i would do it, if lead lapping is too much hassle ( takes 2 hours ) you could shoot 6 only firelaps with a mj bullet with 280 grit ground in .

I don't remember ever lead lapping a barrel, but maybe when I was very young. I got a kit from NECO and fire-lapped a few barrels, other guys barrels, and it seemed to improve accuracy. I don't think I dare trying it now, even with this $50 barrel.

since you asked ... you might consider rethroating to about 1/2 degree or so ....makes common sense, right ??? what could go wrong ???

I'm not a machinist, did it a few times with a hand held reamer, on Contender barrels. While getting firmly disgusted with Contenders and barrels, there was a fellow who would lend throating reamers, several calibers/pilots. But, I'm not a machinist...

just trying to help ...honest ...

ken

edit :  oh, how is the thread fit in your savage ....before you tighten the nut ?? 

The Savage barrel threads are long...just went and measured one, ~1.6” is threaded. I use synthetic disc brake grease on barrel threads, so both the nut and the action are kinda firmly on and there's resistance to turning. Barrel and action and nut threads seem to be about as large/small as reasonable.

also i forgot ...is your savage really well bedded...as in pillar bedded ???  just checking ...

As I understand it from Marlin Bassett, who invented pillar bedding, it's about oily/squishy wood replaced by pillars. And non oily/squishy wood. All the recent plastic Savage stocks are pillar bedded, with/but there's plastic ABOVE the pillars a bit. I believe that the plastic won't compress, and tighten action screws so: I don't want the action to rest on ANYTHING but the front and rear pillars and surrounding plastic. I put the barreled action in the stock upside down, pull it back so the lug stops it, and make it go up and down. I want ONLY one lift each way, as the action lifts off the front then rear pillars. When that is OK, I put the screws in and barely tight. Butt to left, I hold my right hand on the barrel /forend, and tighten the screws. I DON'T want the barrel to go into or out of the stock, NO MOVING! This means that the action is held by the 2 pillars/areas only. My M10 does this fine. My M12 has a magazine in the stock, and something hits the action between the 2 pillars, there are 2 movements up or down. I fixed this with masking tape, taping the plastic near the pillars, lifting the action up until nothing was touching between the pillars, no barrel/stock movement after the screws are started. I don't epoxy/devcon/wondergoo pillar bedded stocks, it makes no sense to me. (I've spent hours with the M12 trying to find what's hitting, no luck so far. I'm thinking about taking the magazine out and making a ctg supporter thing-I shoot all single shot, haven't put a cartridge in a rifle magazine since Sh-Boom.) 

Did I mention that yesterday's bullet were dropped on the concrete floor before loading? Cleaned each off, loaded them all, 83. I'm dropping things a lot more lately, if only there were a competition!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 January 2016

bedding is about making sure that every time you pull the trigger you are shooting the same rifle .

if your magazine bounces off of something sometimes but not others ... or even harder sometimes .... the rifle will scatter shots ... dang vibrations ...

and yep the pillars are to stabilize the torque of the action bolts .... the real bedding's job is to .... again .... be sure nothing moves from shot to shot . i like to ” pot ” the front ring and recoil feature( s ) .... and just have the rear tang setting on a pillar, no attempt to use the rear tang as a recoil feature . and the back of the magazine well should be clearanced .

more test targets please ...it is a long cold winter up here at the north pole ....

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 13 January 2016

BR SETUP

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 13 January 2016

TARGET

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 January 2016

funny that the ” fliers ” in your 2 plus inch groups all went to the right . vibration ?

ready to try one of those ugly barrel tuners ??

ken, who likes to read things into directional groups ...

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 14 January 2016

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: funny that the ” fliers ” in your 2 plus inch groups all went to the right . vibration ?

ready to try one of those ugly barrel tuners ??

ken, who likes to read things into directional groups ...I just bought a “new” Stevens 22-250 22” sporter barrel. If it shoots, I want to cut one of these down to 16.5” and see if it shoots better/stiffer.

My 223 hvy varmint bbl has~4000 cast bullets through it, I've been trying to get it shooting since 1/30/13. Maybe chamber to 22-250 and see if it shoots?

Maybe we just need a bigger case in 22cf?

Working on a replacement for the Sterilite box as the rear rest.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: . and just have the rear tang setting on a pillar, no attempt to use the rear tang as a recoil feature kenThe savage guys make the rear tang free float, no contact with the stock. So, like a lemming, that's what I do. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 January 2016

joeb ... i have a ppg saami 22-250 reamer with separate throaters .... i would rechamber your 223 savage barrel to 22-250 if you want. what could go wrong ?? need barrel y some sample dummy loads .

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 14 January 2016

Joe sez:

I just bought a “new” Stevens 22-250 22” sporter barrel. If it shoots, I want to cut one of these down to 16.5” and see if it shoots better/stiffer.

Joe,

You might want to slug that barrel before cutting it off to see what the inside dimensions are.  All four of my Savage 22 barrels have a decided “choke” in the last couple of inches before the muzzle.  I don't know if the sporters have that but it would be nice to know before cutting. If it does you could still cut and if it got better we could guess that it was because of the stiffness in spite of losing the choke or that both stiffless and getting rid of the choke helped ”€œ of course we wouldn't know which.   If the accuracy got worse in spite of improved stiffness we could guess that losing the choke hurt.   Of course it may have no choke now.   John

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: Joe sez:

I just bought a “new” Stevens 22-250 22” sporter barrel. If it shoots, I want to cut one of these down to 16.5” and see if it shoots better/stiffer.

Joe,

You might want to slug that barrel before cutting it off to see what the inside dimensions are.  All four of my Savage 22 barrels have a decided “choke” in the last couple of inches before the muzzle.  I don't know if the sporters have that but it would be nice to know before cutting. If it does you could still cut and if it got better we could guess that it was because of the stiffness in spite of losing the choke or that both stiffless and getting rid of the choke helped ”€œ of course we wouldn't know which.   If the accuracy got worse in spite of improved stiffness we could guess that losing the choke hurt.   Of course it may have no choke now.   John

John' I'm trying to see the decision tree. Slug, measure, cut. Shoot and have a choice of reasons that it do or don't shoot. Nah. I don't slug barrels, gave away my chronograph and am soon to give away or sell my ultra-precise lead thermometer. I'll never have a borescope. Measurement and/or inspection only makes sense-to me- if there's action driven by the measurement/inspection. The question-to me-is simply-does it shoot- and I know how to find out fairly quickly. Remember, my second 22cf dance is 3 years old at the end of this month. Need a thermometer? (Notice that I did not mention a PIDdle controller. Now, some may not be impressed, but are they right?

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 14 January 2016

joeb: Encouraging results with the 80gr. NOE bullets today and all around great day at the range. Mid 40s and a light breeze. Doesn't get much better than that for mid January in Idaho. On my first outing with this bullet I seated them out long and let closing the action of the Handi finish seat the bullet. As with most of my Handi rifles the chamber is pretty long and this results in a max COL of 2.510 leaving the forward drive band and first lube groove outside the neck. Today I tried a different approach and seated the bullets to a COL of 2.412 getting all the bands inside the neck (looking for better concentricity) and used a softer alloy than my usual (BHN 11-12) Todays loads were, 223 Handi 1 in 9 twist, 80gr NOE 227 SP, sized .225 in Lee push through, gas checked. CCI 400 primer, seated to 2.412 and hand lubed with Saeco green. Fired at 65 paces for plus 50 yrds. RL7 @ 11gr. felt anemic and primers backed out some. These were on the outside of what I'd call a group at 4 1/2 inches. Next up 6,5gr Unique and a five shot group of .775” center to center. Now I know this proves nothing as a one off but going from barely hitting paper to under an inch is a big step forward in my experiment. I'm going to send along a few of these to you Joe in the hope that someone having better bench technique than I have can put them in a very small group. When I get back from family visit in Daytona I'll try some certified alloys and see if there is an improvement over my “Hobo stew". Enjoy the evening. Gp

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 January 2016

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: joeb ... i have a ppg saami 22-250 reamer with separate throaters .... i would rechamber your 223 savage barrel to 22-250 if you want. what could go wrong ?? need barrel y some sample dummy loads .

kenThanks for the offer, Ken. I'm going to make one more try to get this barrel shooting, then it goes to you. Maybe a couple of weeks. Today I've got a 22” sporter barrel on the rifle, with Blue Dot-this in 223. I'll shoot today, then put the heavy 26” barrel back on. Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 January 2016

gpidaho wrote: joeb: Encouraging results with the 80gr. NOE bullets today and all around great day at the range. Mid 40s and a light breeze. Doesn't get much better than that for mid January in Idaho. On my first outing with this bullet I seated them out long and let closing the action of the Handi finish seat the bullet. As with most of my Handi rifles the chamber is pretty long and this results in a max COL of 2.510 leaving the forward drive band and first lube groove outside the neck. Today I tried a different approach and seated the bullets to a COL of 2.412 getting all the bands inside the neck (looking for better concentricity) and used a softer alloy than my usual (BHN 11-12) Todays loads were, 223 Handi 1 in 9 twist, 80gr NOE 227 SP, sized .225 in Lee push through, gas checked. CCI 400 primer, seated to 2.412 and hand lubed with Saeco green. Fired at 65 paces for plus 50 yrds. RL7 @ 11gr. felt anemic and primers backed out some. These were on the outside of what I'd call a group at 4 1/2 inches. Next up 6,5gr Unique and a five shot group of .775” center to center. Now I know this proves nothing as a one off but going from barely hitting paper to under an inch is a big step forward in my experiment. I'm going to send along a few of these to you Joe in the hope that someone having better bench technique than I have can put them in a very small group. When I get back from family visit in Daytona I'll try some certified alloys and see if there is an improvement over my “Hobo stew". Enjoy the evening. GpI'm glad it's showing promise-but don't accuse me of having a “better bench technique". I'm pretty wobbly. This 22-250 adventure, with 2 barrels-Striker and 22” sporter, has been an eye opener. For me, so far: 22-250 shoots better than 223; big cases are more accurate than smaller

22-250 14” twist shoots better than 223 9” twist, slower twist is more accurate than faster twist

50-60 grain 22 bullets shoot better than longer/heavier bullets. I've been worrying about wind at 200 yards while being unable to hit a softball at 100 yards with long bullets.

As I said, I've got a Stevens “new, unfired"  22-250 barrel on the way. I wonder if this one will shoot accurately?

Your 6 grains of TiteGroup recommendation is working great so far. Thank yopu.

joe b.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 January 2016

Joe's axioms designed to stir the pot:

"22-250 shoots better than 223; big cases are more accurate than smaller."    As you know I love to poke at the conventional wisdom and this should offend the full case crowd if any are here.   "22-250 14” twist shoots better than 223 9” twist, slower twist is more accurate than faster twist"   This one IS the conventional wisdom.  I'm disappointed Joe.  However, it is usually overstated.  All four of the 9 twist Savages I've had would shoot 40 grain Vmaxs well under 1” which a Sako and a couple of Remingtons of my acquaintance won't with their 14” twists.  Other factors are more important'   "50-60 grain 22 bullets shoot better than longer/heavier bullets."   You are really swimming against the tide on this one with the top CBA competitors averaging 200 grains per bullet.  As for the 22 bore, there have been quite a few CBA competitors interested in shooting 22s with 14” twist and none have been competitive.   Keep up the interesting work.   John    

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 January 2016

joeb ....as long as you are shooting 56 gr bullets, why don't you get yourself a hart ...lilja...etc. 22 rimfire barrel in 16 - 17 twist and create a couple lonely little data dots for slow twist ??

the rimfire bench guys sell off perfectly good barrels every time they finish 4th or worse in front of their buddies . i used to buy them ... the tighter bores might even shoot better ...

ken

of course with a quality barrel you might start shooting 1/2 moa and peak too early ... we need you to keep pushing the envelope in the world of rough factory barrels ...

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 15 January 2016

joeb: Among my accumulation is a Savage Model 112 22-250 with a very heavy Bull barrel, it has a 14 twist. So far I've discounted it because of the slow twist. Now, you and John A. have me off on this 22 tangent so I'll give it a try with the heavy bullet. (it shoots the 22 55gr. Bator without problem. By the way the 80s showed no sign of tipping when shot out of a 9 twist 223 yesterday. Thanks for the help and encouragement guys. Gp

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 January 2016

You might want to save yourself some time. I recently sent Loren Barber some NOE 22570 RN bullets to try in a 14” twist Greenhill says they shouldn't shoot and they didn't same as when I tried them thirty years ago.  The longer 80 grainers probably won't stay in the same county.

On the other hand, there is no harm in trying.

John

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 15 January 2016

John: I very much suspect that you are correct my friend, thanks for the warning. Gp

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 January 2016

1/20/16 22-250 $50 barrel, Savage M10 RIFLE STOCK, 225646M GC, unsized, LLA 6.0 Titegroup, 5 SHOTS, 100 YARDS Shot what I had loaded, going to anneal cases. 1st 6 groups averaged 1.883"

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 January 2016

Next 5 groups averaged 1.55" The trigger is causing me problems, working on it. I'm very happy. I think putting on the G36 instead of the 6.5-20 $100 scope will help some. Maybe weighing powder charges.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 January 2016

on both targets group 5 is the bad one .... i would like to know why ... they disperse randomly ... they look like 200 yard groups ...

lube purge ?? cut down on lube about half ... who knows /?

human minds seek patterns ...

if you change scopes your gun system will vibrate differently ....you need a tuner next ....

12 degrees here today ...just keep it up !!!

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 23 January 2016

I found a Lee Loader with case trimmer and primer pocket cleaner. Annealed my cases, trimmed to 1.903” very consistent, neck sized nicely with a shmear of Marvel Mystery Oil, M died. These Lee Loaders are wonder tools.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: joeb ....as long as you are shooting 56 gr bullets, why don't you get yourself a hart ...lilja...etc. 22 rimfire barrel in 16 - 17 twist and create a couple lonely little data dots for slow twist ??

the rimfire bench guys sell off perfectly good barrels every time they finish 4th or worse in front of their buddies . i used to buy them ... the tighter bores might even shoot better ...

ken

of course with a quality barrel you might start shooting 1/2 moa and peak too early ... we need you to keep pushing the envelope in the world of rough factory barrels ... Ken; I'd like to try one, slow twist light buillet 22-250. Please keep your eye out for a barrel. Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 January 2016

oh no !! you are tilting Lee-ward !!

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho wrote:  I'm going to send along a few of these to you Joe in the hope that someone having better bench technique than I have can put them in a very small group. When I get back from family visit in Daytona I'll try some certified alloys and see if there is an improvement over my “Hobo stew". Enjoy the evening. Gpgp; I got the bullets, 3 sets. You can cast much better bullets than I with that NOE mold. I'll try some, they're on the list; Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: oh no !! you are tilting Lee-ward !!

kenI've always liked/loved the GOOD lee products. The Lee Loader, LLA, case trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, dipper set ... are GOOD/GREAT.

I almost threw the primer seater away yesterday, it's a bear to use and I've primed thousands of cases with it. The old model was about fail safe, and WONDERFUL.

The dies-not for me, Collet dies?-enough said, powder measure?-no thanks. Some presses are OK, others not.

Decapper rod and base?GREAT

Molds?-not for me

In a way, LEE is like RUGER. If only they'd spend another 10% on it!

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 23 January 2016

Good morning All: I'm very much in agreement with Joe as to the Lee tooling. Some Lee tools are great, others beyond junk. Lee Loaders are at the top of my list. I have one station in my Redding T-7 turret set up with a 3” 7/8X14 bolt so it can be used as an arbor press. The Lee hand die neck sizing function produces very concentric cases and with the adjustment available using the 7/8X14 bolt partial neck sizing to the length desired is very easily accomplished. As to the bullets cast Joe, “Sometimes even a blind hog finds ....... comes to mind. lol I am putting another package together to send your way. I'm having a good time working with the 22s and enjoy reading the posts on the subject. I'll get it figured out with help from you guys. Thanks Gp

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 23 January 2016

What I admire about Lee the most is their willingness to make innovative designs.  Some of them don't work as well as others but the design is always interesting and the major reason that their prices are low.  If plastic will work as well as brass, or maybe better, they use it and shooters benefit if they aren't too hide bound to try it.

Joe doesn't like their powder measure. I do two thirds of my powder measuring with one in spite of having three much more expensive measures that don't measure charges a bit more accurately.  Joe has been tormented by their collet dies which I think are the greatest invention since I started to reload.  But I gave my Lee beam balance scale away.  You can't win them all and differences of opinions makes life interesting.

Anybody, especially anybody on a tight budget, who passes up Lee equipment because an older and wiser head has told him it is all junk is missing out.

John

Attached Files

Loren Barber posted this 25 January 2016

fyi,August/September Handloader Magazine page 59 lists some cast 22-250 cast bullet loads.  Some with H-4198(15 grains) or RL-7(13 grains) report groups between 0.4 and 0.7 with 55 grain RCBS 55-SP.  Rifle is Nosler Model 48.  My NOE 22 cal mold 55 grains should arrive tomorrow.  I'm anxious to try this bullet in my Howa 1500 heavy barrel with 14 twist.Loren

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 28 January 2016

One of joeb's recent posts got me thinking. (this in total disregard of my own motto) When working with TiteGroup in the 22s my 223 cases hold 23.1gr. to the base of the neck where the 22-250 holds 34.6. When using 7gr. this works out to be a 20% fill in 22-250 and 30% in 223. With either case there is a lot more empty case than filled so how much pressure is gained by the gas filling the smaller 223 before the bullet is released? To test this I'll make up ten rounds each using 7gr. TG under a 55gr. bullet and run them over my chronograph. This should give some indication of relative pressure. Gp

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 January 2016

hmmmm ... refer to your motto .... heh .

i don't think you have any way to record peak pressure ... and that is what ... i think ... you are chasing .

but your observation is interesting . not like seating a 158 gr wadcutter flush in a 9mm luger case .

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 31 January 2016

I bought ($60) a “new, unfired 22-250” 22” Stevens 200 barrel and screwed it onto the M12FV action. Shot it and the M10 action with $50 Savage M11 22” sporter barrel. Both with 225646M and 225415 bullets visually inspected, unsized, gas checked, LLA and Titegroup.

When I got home, looking at the brass, I found that the “new, unfired 22-250” barrel seems to be chambered 22-250 Ackley Improved, as near as  can measure.

Always surprised.

joe b.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2016

It's a little hard to sort out the picture, but if I have successfully decoded it it looks like your averages of 1.77 and 1.58” with the Sporter barrel on the M-10 action  are approaching the limit I found for short bullets of 1.5” for 5-shot groups.  If you break it I will have to stop claiming it is a limit.    if I understand your picture the 3” groups are with the barrel that has been rechambered.  It would be interesting to look at the throat with one of those scorned borescopes. 

I look forward to the next bunch of results. Glad to see you getting good results with the dreaded 22 bore.

John

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 02 February 2016

joeb33050 wrote: 22-250 14” twist shoots better than 223 9” twist, slower twist is more accurate than faster twist

50-60 grain 22 bullets shoot better than longer/heavier bullets. I've been worrying about wind at 200 yards while being unable to hit a softball at 100 yards with long bullets. Interesting observations, Joe, thanks for sharing.

When I get a new gun or barrel the first thing I do is try it with a range of bullet weights.   It's not unusual for a barrel to have a distinctive preference for a particular weight. 

The next thing I try is different powders though after playing this game for several decades I can usually guess which powders will do well with cast at various velocities and pressures.

I've never been enthusiastic about low velocity cast in rifles but on the occasions I did play with low velocity I had good luck with Hercules 2400 at 1400 - 1500 fps.   14 gr. is about right in many cases, tweak for best accuracy.      I seem to recall that gunwriter Bob Forker recommended 14 gr. 2400 as a “UMAGGB” load (Universal Make Any Gun Go Bang) in any large rifle cartridge with any bullet.  :D  

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 02 February 2016

John Alexander wrote: You might want to save yourself some time. I recently sent Loren Barber some NOE 22570 RN bullets to try in a 14” twist Greenhill says they shouldn't shoot and they didn't same as when I tried them thirty years ago.  The longer 80 grainers probably won't stay in the same county.

On the other hand, there is no harm in trying.

JohnAt the risk of relying excessively on theory -- a bad habit of mine -- the Miller Stability Factor seems to work well at predicting which bullets will stabilize or not, better than the Greenhill formula.   Here's an online Miller calculator http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/>on the Berger website.   Generally aim for a minimum 1.2 - 1.30 stability factor with your particular bullet, velocity, and weather conditions.

I've got a 14” twist 22cf barrel project in the works so I've been making the same calculations.  The Miller formula suggests that 55 gr cast would be borderline, just depending on the alloy, nose, etc..   

Yes, CBA competitors favor heavy 30 caliber bullets, presumably to buck the wind at the modest velocities employed ?   Meanwhile the jacketed benchrest crowd uses short light bullets in slow twists, and drives them fast. 

You were telling me in a PM that at least one CBA competitor did well with 107 grainers in a 1-18” twist at 2750 fps, so the concept has merit, it's just that it's hard.   And I'm still waiting for those hi-velocity match winners to write a TFS article sharing their tricks.   :D http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/>

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 02 February 2016

Date should be 2/2/16. My mistake. Shot this AM. With the M11 $50 22” sporter barrel on my best action, M12, with the T36, bullets unsized, GC, LLA, 6/Titegroup, WLR.

I think with this setup, fiddling with powder charge, probably both bullets will shoot reliably at or under 1.5” five shot five group averages. At any rate we've shown that the article: BEGINNER'S RECIPE FOR CAST BULLET RIFLE ACCURACY, works fairly well.

I just bought a “new", 26” Heavy varmint 22-250 barrel. We'll see how that works.

Now, with the 22” M11 barrel, what do I do now to get accuracy improved? Weigh bullets or powder charge? Taper bullet noses?

joe b.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 03 February 2016

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/barreltwist.htm

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 03 February 2016

Some of your groups are looking pretty good, Joe.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 03 February 2016

Joe wrote:

"Now, with the 22” M11 barrel, what do I do now to get accuracy improved? Weigh bullets or powder charge? Taper bullet noses? “

Joe,

What kind of percentage variation do you get in throwing small charges of TiteGroup?  One of my measures sometimes gives quite a bit of variation with small charges of flake powders?

If you do decide to start sorting bullets by weight I hope you will shoot groups of sorted bullets alternating with groups using unsorted weights on the same day.  Just shooting sorted bullets and comparing results with unsorted on another day and in other conditions involves lots of other factors. I guess I don't need to tell you this.   John

Attached Files

Loren Barber posted this 03 February 2016

I would recommend 17.0 grains of IMR 4198 that is carefully weighed.  Also 13 grains of Reloder 7..

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 February 2016

dang !! looks like you have traversed the foothills and are now standing at the base of a steeper rock to climb ...

that rock is in the mysterious land where very few of us casters have tread ....

and you are asking US for advice ??

since i am a hardware guy, if it were me, and took a chance on fixing an unbroken system .... and since $400 barrels statistically shoot better .... i would try to convert the decimal place in your barrel's value one place to the right .... i would start by hand lapping it . with the dual goals of taking out the tight spots ......and then polishing the interior . by the time you get the first accomplished you will probably have accomplished the 2nd . 3 hrs to get the equipment together and clean up ... and 1 hr to hand lap . dedicate a 17 cal cleaning rod and some 250-300 grit clover polish . i will send you some polish if asked/begged nicely .

if not for your outliars .... your groups would be LOTS better ....work on eliminating the outliars ... not an average of 1.5 .... but a max of 1.5 .... then you could write a book on how to do it .... oh wait ... you already did ... ( g ) ...

ken ... 25 fairryheight here .

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 04 February 2016

Joe, -- If I hadn't tried it in a dozen rifles without seeing any clear improvement. (Others that know what they are doing claim various degrees of improvement.) I would suggest firelapping if it is too hot in FL to take Ken's advice and use a lead lap. Quick and easy and it is a $50 barrel. Of course it's your best one.

Ken -- Sounds chilly. 42 F here and the weather lady says it will be over 50 this PM. But of course Maine is known for it's mild winter weather. John

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 04 February 2016

Down here in the “Sunny South” the range is deserted if it's below 40 degrees.  I'm one of the deserters.Lots of times I sit here when it's in the 30's and can easily visualize John and his buddies out cavorting in Tee shirts at our temps.  I guess it's all in what you're used to, and how much of a Marine you are. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 04 February 2016

John Alexander wrote: Joe wrote:

"Now, with the 22” M11 barrel, what do I do now to get accuracy improved? Weigh bullets or powder charge? Taper bullet noses? “

Joe,

What kind of percentage variation do you get in throwing small charges of TiteGroup?  One of my measures sometimes gives quite a bit of variation with small charges of flake powders?

When I throw ~6 grains and weigh them, there's sometimes/rarely a variation of as much as .4 grains. Lyman 55/RCBS 10-10. When I throw 2X in the pan, around 12 gr., there's no variation over ~.1 gr, maybe not that much. Scale or measure? I bought a Redding 3BR micrometer measure to take to the range and set charges with the micrometer. I was as excited as when I got my bottom-pour-pot, as when I got my chronograph, as when I got my lead thermometer, as when my car came with a tachometer. I didn't dare to set the measure at the range with the micrometer, after hours of writing weight tables of powder and micrometer settings. Just too chicken. Or old. One of the Lyman 55s came to me in 1960. I don't set it at the range, either.

If you do decide to start sorting bullets by weight I hope you will shoot groups of sorted bullets alternating with groups using unsorted weights on the same day.  Just shooting sorted bullets and comparing results with unsorted on another day and in other conditions involves lots of other factors. I guess I don't need to tell you this.  

I'm at or close to the <1.5” cliff. I don't know if I care about better accuracy with the 22” $50 barrel.

I bought a 26” heavy varmint barrel, due in today/USPS. IF this shoots, I think something has to be said about 223 vs 22-250 that's more interesting than trying to get from 1.5” to 1.2".

And weighing bullets is a problem, I threw a pan of powder into the wall the other day, tremors. Some guys leave when I get to the range. See me, turn white, pack up and go. I HAVE NOT shot anyone yet, by accident.

John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 06 February 2016

I put the heavy varmint 26” barrel on the M10 yesterday afternoon, and put the rifle together with the 6.5-20 Simmons scope. I worked on the trigger earlier, and it seems better now. I've got 225415 and 225646M, M = modified, loaded with 6/Titegroup; and hope to shoot today if it warms up. It's a freezing 47 degrees now. 

Attached Files

New $110 barrel. The first 5 shot group was far from meaningless. These are proven loads in 2 other 22-250 barrels. 14 of 15 225646Ms on the paper, can't find the 15th. All 15 225414s on the paper.

Now what?

Would weighing the bullets get this shooting?

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 06 February 2016

I know it is heresy but I would try a proven jacketed load before I wasted much more lead.  Assuming jacketed shot OK, seating depth?  We shoot prairie dogs  and periodically have to rebarrel a 22-250 as the throat erodes to the point where even seating long doesn't maintain acceptable accuracy. Could that have happened to this barrel?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 06 February 2016

I agree with JHS. I would only add that you may also need to load the JBs long to get close to the rifling which you may not be able to enough with you short CBs. If you have a buddy with a bore scope it would be interesting to view the throat. If you suspicions are correct the guy is a rat but that doesn't help.

John                             

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: I agree with JHS. I would only add that you may also need to load the JBs long to get close to the rifling which you may not be able to enough with you short CBs.

The bullets both stop against the rifling, or something. It's easy to set OAL with the barrel out of the gun. The 225646m bullets must be seated very short, Ken is going to throat a 223 barrel out ti increase max oal. Eric turned the front grease grooves into kinda NEI “dd” bands, one on each bullet nose. If you have a buddy with a bore scope it would be interesting to view the throat.

My buddy with the borescope traded it for a chronograph, concentricity tester and pid controller.

If you suspicions are correct the guy is a rat but that doesn't help.

I don't have any suspicions, the barrel looks new, not a mark anywhere. If I cant sell or trade it this weekend, I'll shoot jacketed maybe Monday. I'm cleaning it now, hoping for lotsa green patches.

There are 12 each ctgs left, I will reload another 15 each and shoot them in the M12 22” sporter-if they still shoot threre, I'm flummoxed. flumoxxed. floummoxxed Baffled. If jacketed shoot, I'll be over-flummoxzed. Pray for green patches. John                             

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2016

switch to the full choke tube ...

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 February 2016

Joe wrote:

Hmmm. very interesting. If by variation of .4 grains you mean .4 up and .4 down that is a variation of 13 percent.  If .4 grains is the total then only 6.5 percent. Either way you are  shooting i.5” groups with powder charges that vary quite a bit.   Such irresponsible behavior would certainly give the vapors to the many shooters who think weighing their 30 grain charges to the nearest .1 of a grain (a variation of 3 tenth of one percent) is part of the reason they can average 2.0” with their trusty Remchester. While you go merrily along not understanding the virtues of powder weighing allowing your powder weights vary over FORTY times as much.   This is the reason I advised Bill Caster in that Fouling Shot article that he didn't need to weigh powder charges.    John   P.S. That is a lot of variation and although you are getting good accuracy you did ask us what to try next.  When you get back to a barrel that shoots why not put on your experiments to do list to compare your best loads with the same load except with weighed powder charges?    

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2016

joeb .... i know these last targets brought a shock to your self-esteem .... but to many of us out here ....we say ” oh look... another 4 inch group ... ” ...

eating humble pie occasionally just makes mommy's homemade apple masterpiece more appreciated ...

thanks for taking one for the team ...( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 10 February 2016

Since this thread is about 22 accuracy, I thought I'd add my 22rf breech seating to it. All targets are shot at 100 yrds.

Since this a 14 twist and eleminates the travel from the neck to the rifling, it may be of interest. I just built this rifle with a .222 groove, 14 twist, PacNor barrel.

The bullets used are shown and L to R are, 225438 (43 gr), 225450 (49.5 gr), the new Lee 225-55 (56 gr) and my ELCO no groove, 2 dia. bullet .090 base band, .219 bore rider. All cast in 30/1.

The Lee casts .226, the two Lymans .227. They where all sized to .223. The Lymans didn't like it much, as you can see on the 450 bullet. The ELCO casts .223. No lube in the grooves, just a little rolled on between my fingers. 

These groups are the first bullet through the rifle. It's showing improve accuracy as it gets broke in, I think.

I haven't chronograph yet but all but the 1.75 gr load was subsonic.

Frank

Attached Files

Target 1

Attached Files

Target 2

Attached Files

Todays

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 February 2016

was that 0.222 groove a rimfire barrel ? i have 1 good rimfire barrel .... i have been thinking that it might be interesting ....... was your e-no-groove lubed ?

pretty good shooting for a variety of bullets in a new gun ...

ken

Attached Files

I've got a lot of work to do with this rifle. My next two powders will be TiteGroup and G'dot.

All the bullets where lubed with Javalina Schuetzen Lube. I just rubbed a little between in inde finger and thumb, then rolled them between them. A very light coat. I've BSed 22rf's since about 1989 and have never leaded a barrel. Before this rifle, it was all done with the ELCO no groove bullet and that's why I didn't put lube in the grooves of the other bullets.

Yes, it is a RF barrel with a 14 twist. I'm finding that I should have gotten a 12 twist though. Note on the left side of the second target, I tried the 225415 bullet, it tipped badly. I also have the RCBS mold and it's even longer so, I won't be able to shoot it, either.

Frank

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 10 February 2016

Frank - on post 62 you have a group marked 415, is that a typo for the Lyman 450 bullet? Maybe I missed something. I see a used 225-450 for sale and considered trying it in my Hornet. is long for my twist but loaded rounds can be amputated in a precision way, to make a flat point and shorten/lighten them.

A remark about grooveless, I have used/shot smooth sided paperpatch bullets, less paper, with only peanut oil on them. Not extensively but enough to know they shoot well enough. Shot in the 1000 -1350 fps range. That and dime won't get you a cup of Starbucks anymore.

Attached Files

"Frank - on post 62 you have a group marked 415, is that a typo for the Lyman 450 bullet?"

No, not a typo. I tried the 225415 bullet and, although the 450 is longer, the 415 tipped worse than the 225450 because of the heavier nose of the 415. I could get the 415 up to at least 1400+ fps with this rifle and it might not tip at that velocity but, this will be shot in 22rf matches so, I have to keep the velocity below 1100 or I'll loose any BC advantage to greater wind drift.

"I see a used 225-450 for sale and considered trying it in my Hornet. "

I think you'd be better served with the new Lee 225-55. It casts smaller and has given me the best results, so far. Not to mention the price :) 

I don't want to hijack Joe's thread, just show that a lot of his problems “may” come from getting his bullet from the neck to the rifling.

Frank

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 February 2016

no-groove bullets lubed in p=nut oil....

reminds me that in 22 rf matches, we had a binge of dipping the bullets in a light oil ...just before chambering ... some won some regional matches that way ... hoppes 9 .... shooters choice lead remover ...

could it be worthwhile in cf cast ?? and no, i don't have a clue what it really did ....syko-logical ?? ...ill-logical ??

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 February 2016

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 15 February 2016

2/15/16 a

The longer 225646 bullets are going through tipped. .685” long 22 Greenhill twist is 11". 225415 .615” long Greenhill twist is 12.3"

Barrel twist is 12", I'll chek it again.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 16 February 2016

John Alexander wrote: Joe wrote:

Joe,

If you do decide to start sorting bullets by weight I hope you will shoot groups of sorted bullets alternating with groups using unsorted weights on the same day.  Just shooting sorted bullets and comparing results with unsorted on another day and in other conditions involves lots of other factors. I guess I don't need to tell you this.   John

After throwing 20 charges, the next 40 weighed...

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 February 2016

Joe How big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load. Jim

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 February 2016

Thanks Joe.  Let's see if I understand. You threw 20 charges to settle thing in then weighed the next 40. Was this with your Lyman measure?

Total swing in charges .3grains in a 6.65 average charge or about 5%.

Compared to  a 30 grain charged weighed to .1 grain (.3 %) as some feel necessary. HORRORS, you are putting up with variations 17 times as BAD and still shooting into about 1.5".  Hmmm something to think about.

John

Attached Files

JHS wrote: Joe How big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load. JimBefore I gave my chronograph away I shot a lot while measuring MV, or sorta MV; and noticed that V has nothing to do with E at reasonable and some unreasonable Vs. My theory is that a low V gives time for a little more recoil, and the muzzle rise cancels out some of the expected extra drop due to the lower V.

So, I don't think that minor delta Vs change E or reduce accuracy.

The change in V due to change in charge is easy to calc, I'll do it in a while.

My question is: How can that big 22-250 case burn 6 Titegrouip accurately? Don't we need small cases? What about .30BR etc?

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: Thanks Joe.  Let's see if I understand. You threw 20 charges to settle thing in then weighed the next 40. Was this with your Lyman measure? Yup. Total swing in charges .3grains in a 6.65 average charge or about 5%.

When we measure small differences we should look at the precision of the measuring system. Me, the pan, the measure and the scale. Measuring to .1 grain on a beam balance quickly shows me that ~1/4 of the measures required a decision. Ex: 6.5 and the pointer is a little high, 6.6 and the pointer is a little low. Is the little high greater than the little low? I'm not sure that x.0y is real lots of the time.   Compared to  a 30 grain charged weighed to .1 grain (.3 %) as some feel necessary. HORRORS, you are putting up with variations 17 times as BAD and still shooting into about 1.5".  Hmmm something to think about.

John

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 16 February 2016

"Before I gave my chronograph away I shot a lot while measuring MV, or sorta MV; and noticed that V has nothing to do with E at reasonable and some unreasonable Vs.My theory is that a low V gives time for a little more recoil, and the muzzle rise cancels out some of the expected extra drop due to the lower V.So, I don't think that minor delta Vs change E or reduce accuracy.The change in V due to change in charge is easy to calc, I'll do it in a while." Data, Joe, we need actual chronograph data to prove that out, V/.gr. I wish that internal balistics could be calulated. If so, QL would be all you needed to do your load developement. Frank

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: "Before I gave my chronograph away I shot a lot while measuring MV, or sorta MV; and noticed that V has nothing to do with E at reasonable and some unreasonable Vs.My theory is that a low V gives time for a little more recoil, and the muzzle rise cancels out some of the expected extra drop due to the lower V.So, I don't think that minor delta Vs change E or reduce accuracy.The change in V due to change in charge is easy to calc, I'll do it in a while." Data, Joe, we need actual chronograph data to prove that out, V/.gr. I wish that internal balistics could be calulated. If so, QL would be all you needed to do your load developement. FrankIt's a snap, Frank. Titegroup, 223 Rem, 55 gr bullet 6.5 gr. =  2119 fps .5 gr. = 120 fps, .1 gr. = 24 fps 6.0 gr. =  1999 fps .5 gr. = 72 fps, .1 gr. = 14 fps 5.5 gr. = 1927 fps   1 gr. = 192 fps, .1 gr. = 19 fps .1 grain of Titegroup ~6 gr, 223, 55gr bullet changes V 19+/-5 fps.

(gpidaho data, on this very forum.)

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 February 2016

Please attach some more letters to those single letters for those of us that don't know.  I'm pretty sure I got the meaning of V but not the others.

I am guilty of the same thing when I use MOA.  Is there anybody on the forum that doesn't know what that means.

Joe -- please tell us the category and thread name of gpidaho's post.  I must have missed it and would like to read.  Thanks.

John

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: Please attach some more letters to those single letters for those of us that don't know.  I'm pretty sure I got the meaning of V but not the others. V is velocity, MV is muscular velocity, E is elevation. Sometimes energy. Others? I am guilty of the same thing when I use MOA.  Is there anybody on the forum that doesn't know what that means.

Joe -- please tell us the category and thread name of gpidaho's post.  I must have missed it and would like to read.  Thanks. No. I looked, I found it, and if anyone wants to check what I wrote, they/he/it can search it out. GP-don't tell them! John

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 16 February 2016

So we now can use ~ for what ever purpoe we want?

There is lots of internet data around that proves most anything, we can use that too?

That aside, I'd really like to know how much V, .3 gr would make in your cartridge.

More data, real data, strong data. How much .3 gr will change POI @ 100 yds, using a real target and chrono.

That's the kind of data that we all like. Especially if you can get the data in the middle of now where.

Data, data, data or is that yada, yada, yada?

Now, I'm really confused. I blame it on Joe :)

Frank

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 17 February 2016

Don't really know what kind of data Frank is looking for. I simply ran some rounds through the Chrono for my own curiosity and that was the result Joe. Just trying to join in the fun, not stir the pot. Glad the TiteGroup is working for, it's become my choice in a wide variety of rounds, handgun and rifle. Gp

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 17 February 2016

GP, no disrepect intended. I was just pointing out that Joe doesn't accept low amounts of data accept, when it suits his position. His state ment doesn't support what real world impacts do.

I've done a lot of chronographing and you can have low impacts with higher V and high impacts with lower V. There are a lot of variables in internal and external ballistics.

Frank

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 18 February 2016

frnkeore wrote: GP, no disrepect intended. I was just pointing out that Joe doesn't accept low amounts of data accept, when it suits his position. His state ment doesn't support what real world impacts do.

I've done a lot of chronographing and you can have low impacts with higher V and high impacts with lower V. There are a lot of variables in internal and external ballistics.

FrankFrank; A few posts back I interpolated some of gpidaho's data and got an estimate of the relationship between powder charge and velocity. This kind of calculation is commonly done, I think I remember that our Gary has a formula that he has recommended.

This kind of calculation is done because of the large sample sizes required to more precisely estimate velocity change per powder weight change.

The experiment would be simple, shoot a sample of shots charged with some weight of powder and record the velocities. Then shoot a sample of shots charged with a different weight of powder and record the velocities. Average each set of velocities and make a statement.

That's the easy part. The hard part is deciding how many shots are needed. When we measure a characteristic, like velocity with a chronograph, we are estimating the “true” value of the characteristic. For any number of shots chronographed we can say that: we are some percent like 95% sure that the “true” V is between some number like 1950 fps and another number like 2000 fps, for example. To increase that 95% or decrease the distance, from 1950 to 2000, for example, to 1960 to 1990, we have to increase the sample size.

The sample size required to estimate the velocity change due to a .3 change in powder charge, in the example cited several posts back, is large enough to be at least impractical and certainly unlikely.

We have to estimate two things for each string of shots, the average and the standard deviation. Fortunately we have the work done. It's in the book. 7.8 CHRONOGRAPHS AND STATISTICS HOW MANY SHOTS SHOULD WE CHRONOGRAPH?               Chronographs commonly calculate and report the average, x bar, and the standard deviation, s, of a set of shots.             The more shots we chronograph, the more accurate are our estimates.               Based on the information below, I believe that we should chronograph a minimum of 10 shots for the minimum acceptable accuracy of estimates. This is a matter of informed opinion, not scientific or mathematical analysis. Your opinion may differ after examining what follows.   MU             The x bar of a string of shots is an estimate of the population average, MU.             With x bar and s we can calculate the error, or how close x bar is to MU to any confidence level.             The table below shows that error with a 95% confidence level.             See the bold 10 for n = 5 and s = 8 fps. We are 95% sure that MU is within 10 fps of x bar. If x bar is, for example, 1450 fps, then we're 95% sure MU is between 1440 fps and 1460 fps.

Note that as n increases the error decreases, as SD increases the error increases. See “CONFIDENCE INTERVAL ESTIMATOR OF MU” in the excel workbooks. SIGMA   The sample standard deviation, s, is an estimate of SIGMA, the population standard deviation. We can calculate, with s and n, how close SIGMA is to s, and how confident we are of that answer. Here we use a confidence level of 95%.  

This table shows how close s is to SIGMA as n varies. When n = 5, we are 95% confident that SIGMA is between 60% and 287% of s. If we chronograph 5 shots and get an s of 10 fps; then we are 95% sure that SIGMA is between 6 fps and 28.7 fps. If we chronograph 30 shots and get an s of 10 fps; then we are 95% sure that SIGMA is between 8 and 13.4 fps.    See “CONFIDENCE INTERVAL ESTIMATOR OF SIGMA SQUARED” in the excel workbooks.

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: So we now can use ~ for what ever purpoe we want?

There is lots of internet data around that proves most anything, we can use that too?

That aside, I'd really like to know how much V, .3 gr would make in your cartridge.

More data, real data, strong data. How much .3 gr will change POI @ 100 yds, using a real target and chrono.

That's the kind of data that we all like. Especially if you can get the data in the middle of now where.

Data, data, data or is that yada, yada, yada?

Now, I'm really confused. I blame it on Joe :)

FrankSo, we estimated thus: Titegroup, 223 Rem, 55 gr bullet 6.5 gr. =  2119 fps .5 gr. = 120 fps, .1 gr. = 24 fps 6.0 gr. =  1999 fps .5 gr. = 72 fps, .1 gr. = 14 fps 5.5 gr. = 1927 fps   1 gr. = 192 fps, .1 gr. = 19 fps .1 grain of Titegroup ~6 gr, 223, 55gr bullet changes V 19+/-5 fps.

so let's call it 19 fps/.1 gr, then .3 gr changes V 57 fps, at 1999 fps. Let's say that we shot 30 shots, sorta the upper end of t, with each load, we calculated the average and standard deviation of each load. Looking at the table, we see that with 30 shots, we're 95% confident that our estimate of the standard deviation is between 80% and 134% of the “true” standard deviation, call it s.d.. Let's say that our s.d. average for 30 shots was 20 fps. Then “true” s.d. is between 80% of 20 =16 fps and  134% of 20 = 26.8 fps. How about the average V? Let's say average V for the 30 shots was 1999 fps. Go to the upper table, n = 30, lower s.d. bound of 16 fps, we're 95% sure that “true” avg V is 1999 +/- 6 fps-upper bound say 1999 +/- 10 fps, “true” V is between 1999-6 = 1993 and 1999 + 10 = 2009; 1993 to 2009 fps. That's as close as we know the “true” average V. BUT, 2009-1903=16 fps, a third of the change due to a .3 gr increase in the load. If we now shoot the other 30 and do the arithmetic, we'll probably lose another third. So, with 30 shots each load, we're going to be 95% sure that a .3 grain change is going to change velocity between 16 fps and 80 fps, which means that we've either got to accept that imprecise answer, or shoot a hell of a lot more shots.

I'd rather estimate/interpolate as shown above, it's easier, faster, cheaper and gives a good guess, which is all we need.

A chronograph is a measuring tool, like a micrometer caliper or digital scale. Estimating a “true” characteristic of a set of things, precisely, requires a BIG sample size.

I believe that Dr. Oehler quit making the ballistic laboratory pressure measuring thingy is because people were making statements and acting on samples too small to approach truth; and he recognized that, and his lawyers got him worried.

Them statistics are always there, whether we look at them or not.   

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 18 February 2016

What really started this part of the conversation was this:    "Joe, How big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load, Jim”  

JHS, correct me if I'm wrong but, what your question is inferring is a change in vertical POI with a change in V? 

Joe, with out testing significant samples sizes, you can't say that V makes no difference. That HAS to be tested, especially at lower V's. 10 fps at 1200 fps average will change POI a lot more that that same 10 fps at 2200 fps.  Maybe I missed it but, what is your average velocity with your load?   W/o chronographing and correlating the V to the impact and then using the BC of the bullet to tract the difference in POI to the difference in V, you really have no clue as to how much it can/will effect accuracy.  

I'm now working in a similar area with my 22rf but, my charge is only 1.5 gr and my max charges won't exceed 2.2 with slower powders in my case. None of my results have been chronoed but, I started with a well documented charge. My charges are thrown with a Redding pistol insert of 5/16 dia. as when I did this accuracy testing long ago. I may have to go to a B&M measure (with a .200 dia powder cavity) or weight each charge to get close enough charges to know how much the SD's effects my accuracy. I can't assume it makes no difference, since my best accuracy has been with the vertical groups it seem to be telling me something.  

Frank

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: What really started this part of the conversation was this:   JoeHow big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load.Jim   JHS, correct me if I'm wrong but, what the question is inferring is a change in vertical POI. With out testing significant samples sizes, you can't say that it makes no difference. That HAS to be tested, especially at lower V's. 10 fps at 1200 fps average will change POI a lot more that that same 10 fps at 2200 fps. Maybe I missed it but, what is your average velocity with your load?   W/o chronographing and correlating the V to the impact and then using the BC of the bullet to tract the difference in POI to the difference in V, you really have no clue as to how much it can/will effect accuracy.   I'm now working in a similar area with my 22rf but, my charge is only 1.5 gr and my max charges won't exceed 2.2 with slower powders in my case. None of my results have been chronoed but, I started with a well documented charge. My charges are thrown with a Redding pistol insert of 5/16 dia. as when I did this accuracy testing long ago. I may have to go to a B&M measure (with a .200 dia powder cavity) or weight each charge to get close enough charges to know how much the SD's effects my accuracy. I can't assume it makes no difference, since my best accuracy with the vertical groups seem to be telling me something.   FrankSay again?

Attached Files

Joe, I edited it.

Frank

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: What really started this part of the conversation was this:    "Joe, How big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load, Jim”  

JHS, correct me if I'm wrong but, what your question is inferring is a change in vertical POI with a change in V? 

Joe, with out testing significant samples sizes, you can't say that V makes no difference. That HAS to be tested, especially at lower V's. 10 fps at 1200 fps average will change POI a lot more that that same 10 fps at 2200 fps.  Maybe I missed it but, what is your average velocity with your load?   W/o chronographing and correlating the V to the impact and then using the BC of the bullet to tract the difference in POI to the difference in V, you really have no clue as to how much it can/will effect accuracy.  

I'm now working in a similar area with my 22rf but, my charge is only 1.5 gr and my max charges won't exceed 2.2 with slower powders in my case. None of my results have been chronoed but, I started with a well documented charge. My charges are thrown with a Redding pistol insert of 5/16 dia. as when I did this accuracy testing long ago. I may have to go to a B&M measure (with a .200 dia powder cavity) or weight each charge to get close enough charges to know how much the SD's effects my accuracy. I can't assume it makes no difference, since my best accuracy has been with the vertical groups it seem to be telling me something.  

FrankFrank, as I suspected, you're employing the debate tricks you learned in high school. You're making no sense, you're quoting things I never said, and you need to get out to the range. Get some data, Frank, show us targets with 5 5 shot groups measured. NO MORE WALLET GROUPS-THEY AIN"T DATA! If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Attached Files

"Get some data, Frank, show us targets with 5 5 shot groups measured." Most of what I post on this site are groups and scores of what I shoot in matches. I do not call that info “cherry picked” It's shot in a controlled situation and NOT shot until I like what I get!!!  Pictured is the results from the last 5 five shot group match that I shot in match conditions and the first that I've shot in 20 years @ 100. I didn't even know that this match would be held when I went to the match. ASSRA does not shoot CF @ 100 very often and ISSA never does, nor do they shoot groups @ any range. The groups are in the order shot and it's the last time I shot that match. I was 3rd place in the match. The person the put on the match, did it for you!

"If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. "

Joe, how much change in elevation will a .3 gr difference make for a 6.0 gr charge of TiteGroup, in a 22/250 case, when shot at 100 yrds?

Frank

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 19 February 2016

frnkeore wrote:

Joe, how much change in elevation will a .3 gr difference make for a 6.0 gr charge of TiteGroup, in a 22/250 case, when shot at 100 yrds?

Frank I don't know. It depends on the gun. The gun recoils, up, on firing. Look at a revolver, or a picture of a revolver, with adjustable sights. Draw a line from the top of the rear sight to the top of the front sight and extend the line. The sights on a revolver are set so the gun is aimed DOWN before firing. Upon firing, the revolver moves upward before the bullet comes out of the barrel. SLOWER or HEAVIER bullets may/will shoot HIGHER than FASTER or LIGHTER bullets, because the gun has more time to go up with slower bullets or goes up further with heavier bullets. (Some handguns are said to be immune from this effect, I doubt it but never tested. See “Sixguns” by Keith.) For a 22-250 with a change from 6.0 to 6.3 grains of Titegroup and 225415, the change in elevation varies, probably, between my Striker pistol with 14” barrel, my M12 rifle with 22” light sporter barrel, and my M12 rifle with 26” heavy varmint barrel. Ballistic calculators/tables do NOT take this effect into their calculations, they assume that the barrel/gun does not move. So, the 22-250 would probably shoot higher in a heavy rifle, might shoot LOWER with the pistol. Heavy pistol, ?? Light rifle?? This is what I suspect is happening when Velocity changes and Elevation of the shot doesn't change or changes less than expected. This effect sorta cancels out the effect of changes in Velocity caused by changes in Powder Charge Weight/Velocity or Bullet Weight. joe b.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 19 February 2016

Is this your example of high school debating skills? BTW, I didn't take debating at any level. I guess I'm more educated than I thought?

But, in other words, your answer is that you have no idea.

Maybe a digital scale and a few groups using it would give a more direct answer.

Frank

Attached Files

frnkeore wrote: Is this your example of high school debating skills? BTW, I didn't take debating at any level. I guess I'm more educated than I thought?

But, in other words, your answer is that you have no idea.

Maybe a digital scale and a few groups using it would give a more direct answer.

FrankNo Frank, my answer is that it depends on what gun you're asking about. What gun ARE you asking about? (Sorry if these things are sometimes complex and hard to understand.)

Attached Files

JHS wrote: Joe How big a difference in velocity do you think .3 gr will make.  Relatively speaking that seems like a big difference for a 6 grain load. JimI've got an idea of the change in Velocity and Elevation at 100 yards. Changing the charge from 6.0 to 6.3 grains of Titegroup, 225415:  With gpidaho's numbers interpolated, Velocity changes from 1999 to 2056 fps,  and the Lyman BC of .106 and the Hornady Ballistic Calculator, the change in elevation is .5".

As noted above, the change in elevation will vary with the gun used, pistol vs. light rifle vs. heavy rifle.

Attached Files

However many light and heavy rifles as well as pistols you have in 22/250 that you shoot 6.0 gr of TiteGroup in, is the info that I would like, regarding the shot dispersion of a .3 gr difference in loads shot.

I would like to have real data, lots of data and strong data, as you would require of others that post on this site. Not cherry picked data and it would be nice to have match data also.

That's all I'm asking for Joe, nothing more than you would ask for.

Frank

Attached Files

One other issue regarding assuming V is that you will have no idea what the ES is, in your rifle or pistol. I didn't read the Gp test and won't, unless a link is provided but, if the ES is provided in the chrono results, it may or may not be the same when extrapolated to the .3 gr variable. 

It takes very little (as small as .1 gr) to change the ES in a load. Primers and lots of primers can have higher or lower ES. ES is not your friend in developing accurate loads, especially at low V.

Frank

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 February 2016

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 February 2016

DOWN!! ....BAD BARREL!!.....DOWN!! ....

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 23 February 2016

2/23/16

The rifle barrel is going to visit Maine, then to Iowa.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 23 February 2016

Joe, You need to add this mold to your testing. It cast excellent bullets right from the start and has proven very accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-90451-2-CAVITY-BULLET-MOLD-C225-55-RF-225-DIAMETER-55-GRAIN-/321878827318?hash=item4af1792136:g:iDMAAOSwx-9Wvfv~

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 29 February 2016

On the left is proof that I can't make a 223 shoot lead. On the right are 2 sets of 5 targets avg 1.485” and 1.23", Savage Striker, 225646M, 6.0 Titegroup and 8.0 SR4756.

With a bunch of barrels I can't make the 223 work, with a Striker and a 22” rifle bbl on a 12FV, 1n 22-250, it's easy.

Another 22-250 wispy barrel is on the way.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 29 February 2016

Its really too bad no one makes a fast twist 22-250.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 29 February 2016

Frank, What does the bullet look like.  eBay doesn't even tell the caliber and no clue to anything more. John frnkeore wrote: Joe, You need to add this mold to your testing. It cast excellent bullets right from the start and has proven very accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-90451-2-CAVITY-BULLET-MOLD-C225-55-RF-225-DIAMETER-55-GRAIN-/321878827318?hash=item4af1792136:g:iDMAAOSwx-9Wvfv~>http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-90451-2-CAVITY-BULLET-MOLD-C225-55-RF-225-DIAMETER-55-GRAIN-/321878827318?hash=item4af1792136:g:iDMAAOSwx-9Wvfv

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 29 February 2016

It looks just like this:

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 01 March 2016

The very first bullets out of my mold after washing with soap & water and perheating on the edge of the pot. They where w/o wrinkles after about 20.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 01 March 2016

This what it measures, using 30/1. It should be about .0005/.001 larger with #2. Frank

joeb33050 posted this 01 March 2016

JHS wrote: Its really too bad no one makes a fast twist 22-250.Savage 22-250s are 12” twist, at least so advertised, and mine check close to that.

The Savage 223 barrels are 9” twist, I have 3  and maybe Ken would chamber 1 for 22-250. The problem is that 2 of the 3 don't shoot very well and I haven't tried the third. If a barrel won't shoot 223, would we expect it to shoot 22-250 well if re-chambered?

NSS has 9” twist 22-250 Shilen barrels for short $; I'm tempted, but-- I seem to be able to shoot both a Striker pistol and 22” $50 barrel on M10 or M12 actions around or under 1.5” for 5 5 shot 100 yard groups. Maybe a little more tweaking/care and < 1.5” most of the time. Lotsa experimenting and long term averages go up. So, what would I expect from the Shilen barrel? In 30 cal, 308, my best rifle averages a little over 1"; with almost even chances that a day's average will be over or under. I can't shoot better than that. Maybe I could get the 22 to that? It is a puzzlement.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 01 March 2016

frnkeore wrote: This what it measures, using 30/1. It should be about .0005/.001 larger with #2. Frank Frank; I have a modified 225646 60 grain mold with a front band ~ .220"/.221” and a 225415 50 grain mold. Both shoot well. Why do I need to try another mold/bullet now? In the midst of sorting out these two? Will the rifle and pistol shoot much smaller groups? Also, I've never had luck with Lee molds, own none now, am not able to cast easily with aluminum molds, just love Lyman molds-they're meehanite, you know. If you wish, send me some of these bullets and I'll try them out.

BTW, the 225646M is .685” long and Greenhill says it needs 11” twist, if my arithmetic is correct. It shoots well in my Savage 12” twist guns.

Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 March 2016

Brodie and Frank, Thanks for the pictures and drawing. John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 03 March 2016

It looks like the striker shoots better with sized .225” LLA than unsized LLA..

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 05 March 2016

Today was a little cool, I think the bullets may have slowed down. The 226546M is ~.685” long, and tipping . It looks like at the twist/velocity/length threshold instead of all big groups there are flyers now and then. Greenhill; says 11” twist, Striker is 12” twist. I think I'll have to go to 225415 and the Bator bullets thay gpidaho sent; these are short enough to stabilize. Just got another 22” $40 22-250 barrel, have a 22” $45 223 barrel on the way. The 223 barrels are 12” twist, I wonder how one would shoot the 225646M?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 05 March 2016

Interesting that you seem to have hit a wall at about 1.5” for averages of 5 shot groups at 100yards.  That is exactly where I fetched up with similar short bullets in slow twist 22 centerfires after several years of working on them.

Funny that the internet is full of examples of shooting short 22 bullets into .5 and .75” groups left and right.  Even the obsolete Lyman 107 that is just barely long enough to not be a ball plunks them right in there.  Why they don't show up at matches where they could easily win is a mystery. Well, sort of a mystery.

John  

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 March 2016

"Openness and Honesty are not traits of the Internet.” Subject of a presentation by Capt. R.C. Bowman for the 1992 Pacific Northwest Inter-Agency and Inter-Tribal Emergency Management Conference.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 March 2016

Ric, I am sorry to disagree with you, but openness and honesty just aren't traits of many human beings whether they are on the internet of not.  I remember a jerk telling me that his stock model 700 .308 could shoot two inch groups at 600 yds.  That was before the internet was ever invented.  Not to mention all the other liars and fool braggarts I have met. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 March 2016

Brodie,

24 years ago, there where hundreds of hardware and software companies trying to sell politicians on the idea that “linkage” of multi-jurisdiction emergency centers would allow for a more coordinated, faster and safer response to public disasters, CHEAPLY. Their position was that there were hundreds of people reading what you wrote within seconds. No one would embellish or falsify information, when you were “watched". Sadly that was not true. Human observation and reporting was always the weak point. Only after we had electrical and mechanical instrumentation, and removed the human element, that a trained and practiced analyst could make timely recommendations.

Everything you type on the internet is possibly viewed by millions of people. While practicing with my '03 Mod Iron rifle last week, a guy walks up to me and tells me that it will never shoot good because “it has some weird foreign threading on the barrel". He had read than on the internet so it must be true!

Ric

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 06 March 2016

"24 years ago, there where hundreds of hardware and software companies trying to sell politicians on the idea that “linkage” of multi-jurisdiction emergency centers would allow for a more coordinated, faster and safer response to public disasters, CHEAPLY. Their position was that there were hundreds of people reading what you wrote within seconds. No one would embellish or falsify information, when you were “watched"."  Said Ric

And our political leaders believed that, while they stood in front of cameras and told what even to them sounded like total and complete falsehoods.  But then our glorious leaders would never lie, but they might be mistaken on rare occasions like some of the current presidential hopefuls seem to be.  With surprising regularity. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 07 March 2016

This is right at the threshold of twist, bullet length and velocity. Maybe more Titegroup would stabilize it better = reduce flyers/group size. It seems that unsized bullets with LLA do better.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 March 2016

Have you tried the additional Titegroup yet? John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 16 March 2016

John Alexander wrote: Have you tried the additional Titegroup yet? John No. I have 6/Titegroup Bator bullet from gpidaho and 225415 loaded and ready, but I've been shooting 223 for the past few weeks.

Attached Files

Close