Opening day massacre

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 25 November 2015
onondaga posted this 22 November 2015

My grandson harvested a nice 8 point Whitetail yesterday on opening day. His rifle is a Savage 11/111 in .308 Win. and he shoots the Lee 170gr FNGC at 2350 with H4895. His broadside shot exploded the heart of the Buck at 50 yards with a pass through shot from my 25 ft high tree-stand in high hardwoods on my property in Lyndon, NY.  The Buck stumbled less than 10 yards before collapsing dead from the shot. The DEC check station aged the animal at 4 years old and healthy. (except for being dead) They eat well and grow big around here. 178 lbs dressed at only 4 years old. The buck came from directly behind the stand, so Colin was leaning pretty far around when he  took the shot. Our Lee mold is honed at the bands so the bullets drop large enough to be sized/checked at .310” for his Savage that consistently shoots 1.1” @100 yards with the Lee bullet.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 22 November 2015

Nice deer and nice grandson!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 November 2015

Rick, Colin is 6' 5” tall so, he makes the Deer look small! My daughter says she will gift Colin taxidermy costs for a cape mount.  This is his second Buck and a with  much bigger rack than his first had a couple years ago..

He is completely happy with cast bullets and I don't think he will ever try jacketed bullets.

Gary

Attached Files

ericp posted this 23 November 2015

Nice work!
The deer population here is hurting between a couple of very bad winters and a rise in predators. Opening day I only heard 4 shots, normally it sounds like the Normandy Invasion.

Eric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 24 November 2015

Congratulations! Well done.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 November 2015

Outstanding!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 25 November 2015

Good Job

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close