K31 or 1911 Schmidt -Rubin?

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 28 August 2015
ericp posted this 07 April 2015

Aim Surplus has rather attractive prices on these rifles and considering the fact that I'm nearing completion of my house rebuild (following a chimney fire) I'd like to get one to celebrate.  I understand that there are some differences in the chambers between these two and was curious if one is preferable over the other for any particular reason.  Also, I see that Redding has their dies as being marked for the K31, are the others for the 1911? Thanks for any input,

Eric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 08 April 2015

Hello Eric, I have had both rifles. I prefer the 1911 for cast bullets. It has a longer throat and shoots cast at least as well as a Springfield if not better. The K31's that I owned had short leades and the chambers were cut larger. The 31 is said to be stronger and has a much shorter action. The rear sight on the 1911 is farther out in front of my eye and I get a much clearer sight picture. The 1911 have a longer barrel and sight radius than the K31. There is an engineer's rifle (carbine) that is about the same over all length as the K31. I had a carbine with saw back bayonet and it is now the love of someone else's life. I like the 1911. I've had one for over 25 years and have shot it a LOT! I took it deer hunting one year with 150g Hornady spire points and the locals were impressed. I got off three aimed rounds at a running deer and missed with the biggest grin you can imagine. Either rifle is a fine choice. I just like that long barreled 1911 because it hangs out there for offhand like a good muzzle loader and is easy to work loads up for. When I started shooting these things there was no 7.5X55 brass but Norma and I had kids to feed. I've been using .284 Winchester brass and some C-H dies and see no need to change. Get them both I say and sell the one that you dislike or like less. They will fetch a bundle some day when they dry up.

Attached Files

ericp posted this 08 April 2015

Thanks for the info, just the type of thing I was hoping to hear. I've only handled one but it looked like a very well made rifle and you're probably right that they will go out of sight when the current supply runs dry. Do you have any particular favorite bullet designs for yours?

Eric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 09 April 2015

I haven't found a cast bullet that won't shoot any better than another. I like the 1911 the best so I can give a better idea of my experiences with it. It seems to like any normal cast bullet of any sensible alloy at it's appropriate powder loading. I kind of think of it as a funny looking Springfield. I've used mostly Lyman molds from 150 to 205 grains. I size them to .310".

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 09 April 2015

I had both in carbine lenght. Kept the Mousqueton 31

The action of the K31 is infinitely better,shorter ,sturdier and has a faster lock time .

My rifles were almost new , and liked short  nose bullets.

For the K31 there are innumeradle original scope mounts and target micrometer sights either open or peep sights .

The 1911 extraction takes more effor too.

If you do not like the throat of the mint K 31 , just pass a throating reamer that you like. 

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 10 April 2015

giorgio de galleani wrote: I had both in carbine lenght. Kept the Mousqueton 31

The action of the K31 is infinitely better,shorter ,sturdier and has a faster lock time .

My rifles were almost new , and liked short  nose bullets.

For the K31 there are innumeradle original scope mounts and target micrometer sights either open or peep sights .

The 1911 extraction takes more effor too.

If you do not like the throat of the mint K 31 , just pass a throating reamer that you like.  Yes sir, Giorgio is correct.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 April 2015

heh i got a 1889 rubin ... rear lugs ... the good news it is in good condition ... with matching numbers ...the bad news is it has been “  sporterized ” , so just an interesting shooter, not collectable .  pretty neat piece of work for 1889, eh ?  $180 shipped, pm me if .

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 10 April 2015

If you have the luck of getting a mint or very good bore , the short throat of the

K 31 allows the  correct loading of  the SACO 311 bullet or one of the short NEI bullets of Ed Harris design.

I used to the gun shows in Switzerlans where I found alot of goodies  about their obsolete GI guns and gear .

Authentic  Carl Zeiss or Kern field glasses were priced around 40 Francs    

4060may posted this 10 April 2015

Giorgio What is the rear sight on your K-31? buy that in Switzerland

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 10 April 2015

It is an open sight ,with click adjustements, I bought it  at least 10-15 years ago  at a Swiss Gun show ( Waffen sammler borse) in the town of Lausanne or Luzern.

It is made by one of the big european target sight makers , Anshutz or Hammerli , I do not remember whitch one.

It came with a higher front sight , mounted on a collar screwed in front of the issue sight . ( where I had inserted a small fiber optic, as I just cannot see the normal metallic sight)

I had an original Peep sight , that was calibrated on the Issue swiss ammo for 300 meter shooting ,and was not compatible with cast bullets trajectory.  

I love my K31 ,and use it for short distance targets , say from 50 to 100 meters .

In the eighties  , at the Codogno range,we used to compete in matches with old GI rifles ,200 meters ,from the prone ,with s sling, I used a rem 03A3 with a new two groove barrel from Numrich, I preferred the original peep sight.

ericp posted this 10 April 2015

A lot of good information here! Very neat rear sight Giorgio. Chances of finding such a thing over here would be pretty slim I imagine. Thank you all,

Eric

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 April 2015

You are tempting me , I might  make a trip to Switzerland to investigate.

I might go to a big gunshop in Luzern , located on the old stairs from the cathedral to the marker square.

Must wait until most of the snow is thawed on the Gotthard Pass, because I hate to travel trough the highway tunnel .

Some years ago I went to UK  using the car ferry boat  from Dunkerque to Dover  , because  of my hate of tunnels .

The next Lausanne Foire internationale aux armes  will be on Dec 4 2015

The next  Luzern  Waffensammlerborse will be in march 2016

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 April 2015

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: heh i got a 1889 rubin ... rear lugs ... the good news it is in good condition ... with matching numbers ...the bad news is it has been “  sporterized ” , so just an interesting shooter, not collectable .  pretty neat piece of work for 1889, eh ?  $180 shipped, pm me if .

I may be wrong but I've been told that the '89's run tight across the lands. I have a 1911 with a Cutt's compensator and peep sight in a rollover stock.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 11 April 2015

Here she is.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 April 2015

The Swiss infantry shot a lot of rounds in their annual  two weeks of  military service , you must have the luck to get a rifle issued to non fighting soldiers .

And the national matches are  well crowded.

The swiss bullet were steel jacketed , but puwder and primers were non corrosive .

Rifles with a P in the serial number are private property of the soldiers .

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 12 April 2015

Two of the K31's that I have owned had the soldiers name and address name on a piece of white plastic under the butt-plate.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 April 2015

It was the usual practice in the Swiss army , which is a kind of militia ,they have no professional standing army.

The Swiss tipe of Confederate state , their feedom and army have  much inspired the US constitution .

A merit of their belonging to the protestant  lutheran and cavinist religion.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 12 April 2015

Buffalo is a wise man. We are fortunate to have him here. But I'm still resisting getting one of those Swiss contraption rifles.

Attached Files

ericp posted this 12 April 2015

Delmarskid, Somebody put quite a bit of work into that one!

I think I'm going to go the K31 route, might shoot it in the postals once things get settled here.

Eric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 April 2015

The K31 is a fine rifle. I'm sure that you will enjoy it. Yeas the sporter is a good looking rifle. It fits and points well.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 April 2015

tturner53 wrote: Buffalo is a wise man. We are fortunate to have him here. But I'm still resisting getting one of those Swiss contraption rifles.You are missing out on a real treat. They run off rounds like a self loader. 

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close