New Factory Remington 700 Bolt

• 5.3K Views
  • Last Post 31 October 2014
OU812 posted this 22 October 2014

I purchased this new factory Remington bolt  (Brownell's part # 767-000-961WB $170.00) to convert my Remington VS chambered in 223 to 308 Winchester. Notice anything different about it?   It has a threaded bolt handle. These bolts are currently standard on the Remington 700 VTR rifle. Now I have to call Remington and purchase the matching knob. Most all aftermarket knobs have finer 5/16 24 TPI threads. This bolt handle is threaded coarse 5/16 18 TPI, so most all aftermarket will not work. I would rather have Remington's version any way.   This new bolt fits more snug and tightens head space about .002 more.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 22 October 2014

Wow. That's nice, but man it's pricey! I have a 700 SPS Varmint in .223 that I was thinking about changing. By the time it's all did I could probably just sell and then buy another.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 October 2014

check lug engagement with bluing or nail polish ... both old bolt and new body. my custom shop 40X didn't have good rubbing pattern. i'm still ...thoughtful ...

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 23 October 2014

I once purchased a fully assembled PTG bolt thru Midway, but had to return because extractor groove was cut too shallow. Bolt would not close and lock onto cartridge rim. PTG told me to return bolt to Midway. Midway accepted return no questions asked.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 23 October 2014

I found the matching bolt knob handle part # F402615. Here is the picture. http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/Bolt-Handle-Knob-Tactical-F402615/dp/B00JF685LQ

Attached Files

Smedley Up Over posted this 24 October 2014

It took 45 minutes to grind my 1986 LA bolt handle down, and $15 for a knob. The $170 bucks is better used else where

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 24 October 2014

Smedley Up Over wrote: It took 45 minutes to grind my 1986 LA bolt handle down, and $15 for a knob. The $170 bucks is better used else where I did  not buy this bolt because of stupid threaded handle. I purchased this bolt to convert gun from 223 to 308. ..not knowing it had a threaded handle when I ordered. Now I am just waiting for the genuine Remington factory knob to arrive.

Attached Files

Smedley Up Over posted this 28 October 2014

Would closing the face of the 30 cal bolt been cheaper?

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 28 October 2014

Now he can switch barrels. Has two bolts.

mrbill2

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 29 October 2014

Cutting the factory extractor groove correctly is not easy (PTG proved that) when enlarging bolt face. Installing Sako style is easier, but also about same price as new Remington bolt.   Now I have two bolts, smaller 223 face and larger 308 face. Switching barrels is easy.   I also purchased the Remington 308 magazine well, spring and follower. These parts are easy to install.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 29 October 2014

This thread reminded me that I have a Remington bolt languishing in a drawer that I should sell.

I sent an XP100 action off to Seely Masker (a well known benchrest gunsmith at the time) 25 years ago to install and chamber a barrel for a wildcat on the 222 case.  Somehow he got projects mixed up and converted the bolt from 222 face to 308, put on a 700 handle, and installed a Sako extractor.  When he discovered his mistake he found another bolt for my project and I bought the one with the 308 face and Sako extractor for a future project that never happened.  I called Remington Service department today and they said that the XP bolt and 700 short action are identical except for the bolt handle.  This bolt has had a 700 style bolt installed.   Installing the Sako extractor is a $100 -- $150 job so this might be something that someone looking for a short action bolt with the 308 bolt face might be interested in.   Since a Remington bolt without the knob or the Sako extractor cost $170, maybe $150 shipped would be a reasonable price.    John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 October 2014

for you bolt converter people out there, consider installing an m16 extractor instead of a sako type. i had jim carstensen do one for me and think it better.

ken

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 30 October 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: for you bolt converter people out there, consider installing an m16 extractor instead of a sako type. i had jim carstensen do one for me and think it better.

ken
  The M16  or AR15 extractor comes in two sizes..... small and larger. I think most use the smaller extractor. PTG offers the Sako or M16 extractors.

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 30 October 2014

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 30 October 2014

Yes $170 seems high or it did until I tried to buy a bolt for a Stolle Panda and it costs $600.  The nice man on the phone explained that it cost them more to make a bolt than the rest of the action (without trigger of course).    Anybody out there want to trade an old panda bolt with 222 face for one with a ppc face please speak up.

John

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 30 October 2014

Received my new Remington bolt knob today (ordered thru Amazon). Knob is made of steel...slightly heavy. Looks very tactical   Remington part numbers: Bolt... F402513, Knob...F402615

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 31 October 2014

Here is rifle. Remington laminated stock is piller bedded and glass bedded with Acrylglass. Shillen Varmint contour short chambered 308 barrel installed. Stock's barrel channel had to be opened more to free float. Originally the stock had a raised pressure point  in channel that put pressure on the barrel. This caused shots to string upward when original 223 heavy varmint barrel heated.

Attached Files

Close