Tight chambered .45 LC Ruger Blackhawk

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 26 November 2013
45ACPete posted this 17 November 2013

I just acquired this 7 1/2” New Model Blackhawk and tried pushing a .454 sized Lyman 454190 bullet through the cylinder --no go. So, I then tried a SAECO clone of the H&G 68 which is sized .452--again no go. Hmm--maybe one of my Lyman 11mm Mauser bullets, which drop from the mold at .449-.450 will fit and yes, they go through with some slight resistance when pushed with a pencil. Measuring the bore diameter at the muzzle with a caliper I get .450. I don't have a .451 sizing die, but maybe if someone could send me a couple of bullets sized .451 I'd know what I'm going to need. Is it common for the Rugers to have these small dimensions?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 17 November 2013

Yes, it IS common for Rugers to have tight throats. Plan on sizing bullets to. 451 or sending the cylinder off to have the throats reamed to. 452+

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 November 2013

measuring inside diameters with normal calipers can be difficult, for one thing there is usually a small flat on the caliper jaws ....depending on the hole diameter, this can show a low reading of a thousandth or two.

ken

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 17 November 2013

As Ed says, it is very common. I read that they did better on the late BH's but, can't confirm it. My BH has a .451 throat and a .452 groove diameter. They are best measured with gage pins or bore indicators.

They can also be reamed with a common 29/64 (.453) reamer.

Frank

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 17 November 2013

I have the reamer and it does even the throats up, and make them more uniform. If that is the problem.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 18 November 2013

Thanks to all who replied. I guess I'd better slug the barrel. If it slugs at .451, would it be best to ream the chambers to .452?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 November 2013

Slug your CYLINDER THROATS!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT is what determines required bullet diameter!

The only concern with barrel groove diameter is that if it is LARGER than cylinder throat size, it indicates the diameter which cylinder throats must be reamed to.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 19 November 2013

Got it, Ed--and thanks again.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 19 November 2013

I hate to keep bashing people over the head with this, but the old Lyman mythology published for a century is hard to kill.

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 24 November 2013

My new Vaquero had throats which went .450 to .451” as best I could measure them using the pure lead slug method. I had cylindersmith.com open mine up to .452+” with good results. I use both .452” .45 ACP 200 gr TWC's as well as Lyman's 454190 sized to 454"...actually on the this bullet I use them as cast from a 50-50 lead to wheel weight alloy. Groups went from 3"+ to 2” and on “good eyes” days, a bit less.

To be honest, I don't remember what I got when I slugged the bore, but it was less than .452"...all to the good as Ed says. It's the throat sizes that matter...

Best Regards,Rod

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 26 November 2013

I am sure I have mentioned this before. I have had problems with .45 Colt caliber Ruger single actions, also. My cylinder throats were all undersized (including two friends who bought .45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertibles when I did. They leaded and started losing accuracy in 30 shots or so.

I borrowed a reamer kit and reamed all six cylinders to .4525” and they ALL shoot like NRA Bullseye pistols should. I am VERY happy with the results.

I was sad to hear that Cylindersmith is no longer doing .45 Colts for those that don't have access to a reamer kit or have the required skill. I have heard nothing but good about him - maybe he'll reconsider. UPDATE (12/28/2013): Cylindersmith is ONLY doing .45's (as per his website). So, good news for those .45 Owners and “Not so good news for other calibers"... Sorry for the confusion... FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Close