Two 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer Bolts - But Different - Need Some Help

• Last Post 25 August 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
Rum River posted this 17 August 2023

I own two 1903's, one is all-original matching numbers proofed in 1929 with an Oigee Berlin Gnom 4x scope in Vienna mounts.

The other is a re-barrel with a 19xx serial number. I bought it re-barrelled so I have no idea of a proofing date. The bolt is not original to the receiver but is the one used for the re-barrel so the headspace is good.

The safety on the 'parts' rifle does not function, it's in the fire position and I can't move it to shoot the rifle nor can I disassemble it. The head of the cocking piece and the cocking piece itself do not look like the bolt on the good rifle.

In the pics the 'parts' bolt is on the left, the good bolt on the right.

There's no indexing marks on the head of the parts cocking piece, plus the cocking piece and even the bolt body are different.

Anybody able to shed some light on what bolt my parts rifle has?

Thanks

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 17 August 2023

I'm sorry I can't solve your problem, but the parts rifle is a Greek Model 1903 military rifle bolt with new handle attached. 

Try the Mannlicher collectors web site. 

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 17 August 2023

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
MP1886 posted this 17 August 2023

Here's the Greek one:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31qqrs

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
mashburn posted this 24 August 2023

Hello Rum River,

Did the video that 1886 sent to you, help you solve your problem. I've spent a lot of time looking at your pictures and scratching my head, trying to spot any obvious problems. Back in the sixties, I bought one of these for 25.00 and with the help from one of my college professors, took it to the college machine shop lab and re-barreled it, to .308. I had been working on firearms since I was in Jr. High, but never had the opportunity to learn how to use a lathe and cut threads and such. it took a lot of time to reshape the spool magazine to handle the .308 cartridge. After I got three places in the spool that would work a .308 cartridge, I decided that was enough. I cut the barrel to 18" and built a little Mannlicher stock for it and started firing cast bullet in it. If I could have afforded jacketed bullets at the time, I would have shot them but being a poor college student, I had to stay with lead. I kept the rifle about 12 years and in a weak moment, I sold it, and have been in regret ever since.

Mr. Weaver was an unusual college professor, as he had a gun store in his living room. This was before the Guin Control Act of 1968, but he got an FFL and continued his gun business. He stayed in business until his death in the 20 teens. We could certainly stand to have more college professors like him, in this day and age.

What caliber, was your rifle re-barreled to? If you ever decide to get rid of that rifle, I would like to have it,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
  • RicinYakima
MP1886 posted this 24 August 2023

Hello Rum River,

Did the video that 1886 sent to you, help you solve your problem. I've spent a lot of time looking at your pictures and scratching my head, trying to spot any obvious problems. Back in the sixties, I bought one of these for 25.00 and with the help from one of my college professors, took it to the college machine shop lab and re-barreled it, to .308. I had been working on firearms since I was in Jr. High, but never had the opportunity to learn how to use a lathe and cut threads and such. it took a lot of time to reshape the spool magazine to handle the .308 cartridge. After I got three places in the spool that would work a .308 cartridge, I decided that was enough. I cut the barrel to 18" and built a little Mannlicher stock for it and started firing cast bullet in it. If I could have afforded jacketed bullets at the time, I would have shot them but being a poor college student, I had to stay with lead. I kept the rifle about 12 years and in a weak moment, I sold it, and have been in regret ever since.

Mr. Weaver was an unusual college professor, as he had a gun store in his living room. This was before the Guin Control Act of 1968, but he got an FFL and continued his gun business. He stayed in business until his death in the 20 teens. We could certainly stand to have more college professors like him, in this day and age.

What caliber, was your rifle re-barreled to? If you ever decide to get rid of that rifle, I would like to have it,

Mashburn

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering that myself.  I think what I would do is diassemble the offending bolt and then reassemble it with watching the videos I posted. For lack of a better word I think his bolt is out of squence. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 24 August 2023

Hello 1886,

I agree, it's been so long since I have taken one of those bolts apart, that I can't remember much about them, but if it will cock and fire and the safety doesn't work, there may be something not put together properly.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Rum River posted this 25 August 2023

The rifle was re-barreled to the original caliber - 6.5x54 MS. The older gentleman I bought the rifle from said the original barrel's bore was badly rusted and pitted.

It appears I may have a 1900 bolt with a 1903 safety. When I have a second pair of hands available we're going to disassemble the bolt on the left in the photos to confirm my guess. The rifle wears one of the Redfield style scope mounts so the front base is covering the receiver ring - so I can't see right now if it's a 1900 or 1903. I'm about to do load development for the rifle in question as well as the all-original 1903 in the same caliber. As both rifles currently are on the paper at 100 yards I'll wait until afterwards to pull the scope to check the receiver ring.

I very much appreciate all the responses, thank you.

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 25 August 2023

The rifle was re-barreled to the original caliber - 6.5x54 MS. The older gentleman I bought the rifle from said the original barrel's bore was badly rusted and pitted.

It appears I may have a 1900 bolt with a 1903 safety. When I have a second pair of hands available we're going to disassemble the bolt on the left in the photos to confirm my guess. The rifle wears one of the Redfield style scope mounts so the front base is covering the receiver ring - so I can't see right now if it's a 1900 or 1903. I'm about to do load development for the rifle in question as well as the all-original 1903 in the same caliber. As both rifles currently are on the paper at 100 yards I'll wait until afterwards to pull the scope to check the receiver ring.

I very much appreciate all the responses, thank you.

How about pictures of the receiver of the rifle in question both right and left side please.

Attached Files

Close