Springfield XDm Elite Precision 5.25 - Accuracy Help

• Last Post 24 January 2024
  • Topic Is Solved
wimilkman posted this 23 January 2024

Well I am back again looking for some help from all of you again, you helped me solve my problem a while back with my S&W 929PC. Now I am looking for some help with another 9mm a new Springfield XDm Elite Precision 5.25 in 9mm . I bough this gun about 3 months ago and have been struggling some with accuracy I laddered some loads a week ago using these Acme bullets 115gr. RN ,125 gr. RN , 135 gr RN, 145gr. RN .....Missouri 125 gr. LRN Small Ball, Missouri 125gr. LSWC and Lighting 125 gr. LFP along with these powders - Tite Group , Bullseye, W244, American Select ,Blue Dot . Primers are Servicios Aventuras SP , Crimp is .377 to .378. Brass is range brass. Expanders are a Noe PTX in .358 and I have a Lee 38 S&W PTX with a Lee Custom .358 expander. Bullets all are .356. 

So far my best load has been with the Missouri 125 gr. LRN Small Ball and the Lighting 125 gr. LFP with Blue Dot and American Select followed by W244 with the 125 grainers.

The only change I have made to this gun and that was very recently is swap out the stock guide rod with a Springer Precision full length guide rod that allows you to use 1911 springs I am running a 15 lb. spring. I do not do any competitions so PF is not an issue. I have been getting a few stove pipes with Tite Group and Bullseye I was at starting load with all powders being used. The only other change I am making is i ordered 600 rounds of new Barnes 9mm Nickle Brass which is on the way. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Aaron posted this 23 January 2024

Accurate #7

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wimilkman
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 23 January 2024

Bullet might be a bit small at .356" and crimp might be a bit tight with case mouth at .377 to .378".  Pull a bullet and measure with a micrometer to see if you are squeezing the bullet smaller with the crimp. You must have sufficient neck tension to prevent bullet being set back into case with whatever your measurements show. 

New brass, range pick up, matched head stamps or just random cases of unknown case length?  Group size and target distance might give better information for better suggestions.

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 23 January 2024

I shoot the same XDm at USPSA and went through the same thing with accuracy. For my pistol it was all in bullet length.  I found I had to seat the bullet out to touch the groves in the rifling. After that I got 2 inch groups at 25 yards. The bullets I use are Lee TL 356-124 at a seat of 1.168 in. with 4.3gr. of 231. And Lee 356-125 at a seat of 1.145 in. with 4 gr. titegroup. I hope this will help. 

Glenn

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 23 January 2024

I own an XDm 3.8" chamered in .45 ACP. When I bought it I asked what the "m" stands for....the answer was "match". A 3.8" long "match" barrel. Huh...

Tom

Attached Files

wimilkman posted this 24 January 2024

Aaron,

You are not the first one to tell me to use AA#7, a shooter in the lane next to me today was telling me the same thing at the range ,he told me that powder was specifically designed by Accurate Powders for the 9mm it is all he uses for the 9mm. From looking at a burn rate chart it is right there with Blue Dot so that may explain why the loads I had with BD performed quite well. As soon as I get to my LGS I am going to try a pound of AA#7.

Thanks for the advice, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Duane,

I pulled a few I had loaded no reduction of the size of the bullet when I measured them,  on the Hi Tek coated bullets any kind of marking was barely visible.  I switched over to my Lee S&W 38 Long Colt PTX die with a custom expander that Lee did for me in .358 instead of the custom one I was using from another company. The Lee one does a much better job as the bullet sets in there just perfect. I adjusted my crimp just slightly bigger to .3785 and loaded 10 dummy rounds to see how they look when I pull the bullets tomorrow.

I have a S&W 929 PC 9mm revolver that I use .357 bullets in as I went through the same thing with that the .357 bullet made all the difference in that one. I am going to slug the barrel on the XDm Elite to see if the same thing is going on.

Right now I am using range brass but I do sort it by head stamp ,I have 600 new Barnes Nickel 9mm coming should have them by end of week. I am 68 so I usually shoot at ten yards and 15 yards I am just a paper puncher but like to shoot extremely accurately and load the same way I am always open to new ideas.

Thanks for the help, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Glenn,

I am going to try that , it had crossed my mind but since you have the same gun I am definitely going to try it. I don't cast my own because of where I live but if I could I would use Lee molds, I do use the same weight lead bullets you use so loading longer will be tired tomorrow. I did bump up my load of Tite Group from starting load to one grain under Max because the were pretty lethargic I also bought a pound of Ram Shot Silhouette today to try. 

What makes me a little crazy is I have a XD in 40 S&W 4 inch barrel that is 20 years old and it will shoot the pants off this XDm Elite but it took me a while to get there with that one also, I went to a 140 grain LFP just on a whim, it made all the difference. That is all I use in it now I also have 2 Springfield 1911's.

Thanks for the advice, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Tom,

I know 3.8 inch barrel that made me laugh , I do have a XD in 40 S&W with a 4 inch barrel that is 20 years old accurate as hell.

Enjoy that XDm, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 January 2024

i would be sure make sure the bullet was snug in the barrel's bullet seat ...  then work around that.  first, measure your bullets ...they might be not as listed in their catalog.    a lot of 9mm autos actually prefer 0.357 or even 0.358.

many commercial casters can furnish a few sample bullets to test.  one is Badmans bullets, who btw offers 0.358 castings.

of course, if your fatter bullets are found better, then you might need a fatter expander to make sure you don't scrape or squeeze those bullets as you seat them.

hope this helps, i really like those XDM ...

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn

Ken,

You are as bad as me doing this late at night but I am retired though , I found that out with my S&W 929PC in 9mm after I slugged the barrel I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it the cylinder throats and barrel slugged at .357.. I went to 125gr. LRN .357 lead bullets and never looked back so I am going to try them in my XDm Elite .

I also went through a similar thing with my XD in 40 S&W everyone told me I needed to use a 180gr bullet it shot like crap. Got a sample of two bullets from Rim Rock Bullets in a 155gr LSWC and a 140 gr LFP . Loaded them both shot the 155's first and they shot pretty good , shot the 140's and OMG they were the answer and I have never changed.

I like the XD's and XDM's they are greta guns and Springfield stands behind them I also have 2 Springfield 1911's one is a Range Officer Elite in 45 auto and the other is a V-16 Longslide in 45super it came with two springs so I can shoot 45 auto also.

Thank you for the help, Fred

Fred Honeyager

Attached Files

Close