S&W Model 52 Addition

• Last Post 17 December 2021
hrafknel posted this 10 December 2021

Brownells could not give me a suggestion for replacement springs.  Does any one have  a suggestion what would wotk?  Currently I am limited to 2 or 3 shots before a jam occureres.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 10 December 2021

Have you stripped the magazine and stretched the spring? Put four nails in scrap lumber about 25% longer than the spring at rest, two for top and two for bottom, Let sit for an hour or two, then reassemble and try.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 10 December 2021

The Wolff recoil spring calibration kit is p/n 13172, and Midway has one in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004189437

Wolff Gunsprings page for the S&W autos is https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&%20WESSON/NUMBERED%20SERIES/cID1/mID58/dID261#876

The recoil springs for the 52 is about halfway down the page. You can also order direct from them if you wish.

Brownells ain't what they used to be.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
sergeant69 posted this 12 December 2021

Brownells ain't what they used to be

not even close! more like a crappy wal mart

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 13 December 2021

Now I see the OP didn't specify which spring he was looking for. The first response was for a magazine spring, and my reply was directed at the recoil spring.

Which spring are you looking for? Both replies addressed springs that could tie up the gun within a couple of shots.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 13 December 2021

May I hijack the thread?  I always wanted a 52, but never got one.  Then speaking with a friend of mine I told him was going to build a 38 Wadcutter on a 1911. His answer was "don't waste your time, build a 38 Super and load wadcutters in the 38 Super cases". Well I did that and it's a tuned 38 Super 1911 with a Hart match barrel.  Shoots wadcutters GREAT, feeds great, no hassles, and just as accurte as a 52 or more accurate. 

I don't like bashing Brownells's.  I've done business with them for 40 some years.  Yes they have gone down hill.  I kind of think this downhill slide started when they took over the forum AR15.COM  

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 13 December 2021

been dealing with Brownell's since 1964.  Agree they've lost the personal connection.

BUT, more on topic, I wonder if my CZ 75 in 38 Super would feed wadcutters?

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 13 December 2021

been dealing with Brownell's since 1964.  Agree they've lost the personal connection.

BUT, more on topic, I wonder if my CZ 75 in 38 Super would feed wadcutters?

I'll bet that it would.  BTW my wadcutters are in now way loaded flush with the Super's mouth.  The chamber will except them quite a ways loaded out. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Tom Acheson posted this 13 December 2021

I have a 52. The RCBS mold and WST are used. So far, never a jam. It is an incredibly accurate pistol! 

I also have a blue Model 58 .41 Mag, 4” bull barrel, fixed sights. A Model 10 (.38 Special only) with 4” bull barrel and fixed sights, blue, is what I someday want. The 58 is an N frame and the 10 is a K frame. Next to each other they look like a big and little brother.  Might even consider trading the 52 for the Model 10.

Someday…

Tom

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 13 December 2021

I don't like bashing Brownells's.  I've done business with them for 40 some years.  Yes they have gone down hill.  I kind of think this downhill slide started when they took over the forum AR15.COM 

That's kind of funny. I've been a long-term member at AR15.com, and I definitely noticed a "downhill slide" in quality there shortly after Brownells bought the site. The place also turned into one huge advertising cash cow after that.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 15 December 2021

Perhaps there was a change in management or Brownells was bought by someone?

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 17 December 2021

Wolffs mag spring part numbers:

Attached Files

Close