Recovered bullets

• Last Post 09 July 2022
JeffinNZ posted this 06 July 2022

My club has a 200y range with a pair of snail traps.  When a bullet impacts in them they make the BEST sound.  Also great for recovering bullets.  These started life as 40-1 alloy 314299 bullets ex the .303 Brit.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 06 July 2022

Interesting! All of the snail traps I have seen in the US are horizonal, not vertical. 

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 06 July 2022

I need one of those!

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
JimmyDee posted this 07 July 2022

Horizontal traps make sense inside but outside, with more room, vertical looks like a good option -- and the trapped bullets fall to the bottom, right?  Easy-peasy "mining" -- much better than what I've gone through for range scrap.

Attached Files

Lucky1 posted this 07 July 2022

If someone tells me how to add a picture, I'll show you my trap from salvage around the farm. And yes, vertical really makes sense outside where the bullets all end up in a bucket down below.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 07 July 2022

How do I upload or add photos to my posts? (castbulletassoc.org)

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Thanks Jeff. Turns out smartphones don't show the icons but tablets do.

Starting from bottom. Frame and wheels from old grain auger. Vertical pipe was some old well casing. Side panels were actually 1/4 inch thick pieces i purchased because my scrap ones were a little thin. Bucket under the pipe has caught about 75 pounds so far. I thought the wheels would be good to move it to different ranges. The only tricky part was determining the width of the cut to just leave enough space for the bullet to pass through since the lead enters the side of the pipe and spirals around until it drops down. Almost 2 years later and still working fine but now I hate leaving all that nice lead behind at matches when I leave home.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

Jeff is also right about the sound. Especially the "BWONG" when a 577 Snider hits the trap. 

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 08 July 2022

How does that homemade bullet catcher work.  Are there two wings?  Is the wing at an angle to the pipe?  One quarter inch does not sound very thick, I assume cast bullets only?

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Lucky1 posted this 08 July 2022

Yes on 2 wings. I'll take some more pictures to help explain since you're interested. Cast rifle bullets and any pistol bullets are fine. The angles really help spread the energy.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 08 July 2022

What confuses me, is how do you get the bullets to go into the pipe?   It seems to me you would have to hit it perfectly every time.  Do the two wings meet at the hole?  

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 08 July 2022

yes we would definitely appreciate more photos.I am so cheap that I want to get my precious lead back but am ashamed to admit it is for my pocketbook.That's why I'm trying to convince my shooting club that lead is useless laying in a dirtbank and that it should invest some $$$ in recuperation.

Attached Files

2 years later and a lot of use (and some abuse) and this is the front view showing bullet smears and no appreciable wear. Recent 95 mph winds did undo the polyboard on the front but that's good for this purpose.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

Top of trap showing the finger width slot for the bullets to slide through.  Virtually any shots inside the trap at any angle go in the pipe.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

Last set showing right and left sides of trap so you can see how much the pipe is offset to induce the bullets to circle the pipe and lose momentum until they drop out. Some of the braces have been hit but everything has held up pretty well. Plus I can wheel it back into the shop for some minor repairs later. 

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 09 July 2022

Are the quarter inch sheets mild hot rolled steel?

Attached Files

Lucky1 posted this 09 July 2022

I believe they are that. Size is a 4x8 sheet cut in half because it was easy that way. The angle that the bullet hits greatly reduces the energy transfer. Think sloped armor on a Panther tank and most go for a 1/4 inch minimum for durability. The whole project is quite heavy when completed as it is.

Scott Ingle

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
delmarskid posted this 09 July 2022

Thanks Lucky 1, I have a sheet of that. I think I will try to hunt up a piece of well casing.

Attached Files

Close