Piedmont Gun Club - 2024 Nationals

• Last Post 08 March 2024
  • Topic Is Solved
Wm Cook posted this 21 January 2024

For those of us that haven't been there, could someone share whatever information they know about the Piedmont Gun Club. 

Things like:

• Indoor or outdoor loading accommodations,
  • Does the club provide individual tables/chairs to shooters for rifle cleaning & handloading,
  • The number of 100/200 yard shooting benches,
  • Concrete blocks benches or poured concrete benches,
  • Stools yes or no,
  • Bathroom / shower facilities,
  • How far away are hotels/food from the range,
  • RV provisions,
  • Is it common for wives to go along and if not shooting, get together to goof off around the area?
  • Or whatever else I forgot to ask.

The clubs calendar shows the Cast Nationals running Sept 4th through the 8th.  Thanks, Bill Cook

Piedmont Gun Club

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 21 January 2024

Bill,

I will ask Dan Hisle, regional director of region 3 to answer your questions. Some, but not all, of them are answered in their proposal for holding the national tournament which I will paste below.  The contract isn't signed yet but will follow the proposal with the addition of moving backers for the group matches.

John

====

To The Board:

Please find the proposal for the Piedmont Rifle and Pistol Club of Rutherfordton NC to host the 2024 Nationals on September 5-8, 2024.

·      The Piedmont Gun Club fee is $1,200.00 for use of the range for this 4-day event.

o   This is all inclusive cost with no additional fees for insurance etc.

o   This includes full use of the 100/200-yard range that has 20 covered benches and more than sufficient parking for the participants.

o   There is a modern club house with facilities including a kitchen and adequate seating for the tournament participants.  It has heat and A/C.

o   There will be a scoring crew, target crew, and additional support staff available during the tournament.

o   There will be a caterer for meals with a cost of $9.00 for lunch and $12.00 for dinners.

o   A “wailing wall” is available for participants to review their targets.

o   We have a relationship with a local hotel to obtain rooms at a reduced cost to the shooting participants.

o   There is a campground within 4 miles of the range for those that would rather camp versus stay at the hotel.

·      We have the full support of the President and Vice-President of the Piedmont Gun Club.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dan Hisle

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Wm Cook posted this 21 January 2024

John, thanks.  20 benches could mean three relays. Results showed 37 shot for record in 2023, 38 in 2022 and I think 40 in 2021.  Holding it in a new location will probably bring out a few new shooters.  On the other hand some may not want to travel as far.  Being from St Charles MO I’m about 10 hours away.  I count 5 shooters from CA and WA that shot last year.

At all of our National JBR matches we usually have one of the local shooters wives kinda coordinate a list of things that non shootings wives can do during the day.  That encourages a bit of family atmosphere to the event.  

From what I heard there are more folks loading at the range than the results showed for the ‘23 Nationals, so having your own table and chair inside a clubhouse would be important for the 15 - 20 or so shooters that  load at the range.  Powder scales are a royal pain in the rear if you try to load outside.  

JBR shooters are a spoiled lot who whine a lot.  Thanks again for the pass along from Dan.  

The Stl BR Club and the NBRSA both raised their dues this year so “Plus 1” on raising the CBA dues.  You got to pay to play.  

This weekend we got word that our Stl BR Club will again hold the JB World Benchrest competition in 2025.  USA’s team took it all in the event held in France last year.  It’s no easy task running national events.  My hats off to the Pioneer and Piedmont clubs.  Thanks again, Bill C.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
fisherman posted this 21 January 2024

Hello

Answers to your questions.

• Indoor or outdoor loading accommodations - Piedmont will allow reloading inside the club house but would prefer competitors to load at table outside under the awnings.  This way the clubhouse is available for meals.  Pioneer does not allow reloading inside.
  • Does the club provide individual tables/chairs to shooters for rifle cleaning & handloading - The CBA rules do not allow removal of your gun for cleaning from the bench - you are provided adequate time between relays to clean.  There will be tables available for reloading under the awnings,
  • The number of 100/200 yard shooting benches - there are 20 covered benches.
  • Concrete blocks benches or poured concrete benches - concrete block with a poured concrete tops.
  • Stools yes or no - No, must supply your own.
  • Bathroom / shower facilities - There is a men and women's restroom in the club house - there are no shower facilities.
  • How far away are hotels/food from the range - about 15 minutes in Forest City, NC,   I have secured a hotel for CBA shooters for lodging at a reduced rate.
  • RV provisions - No, however there are a few campgrounds just a short distance from the range.
  • Is it common for wives to go along and if not shooting, get together to goof off around the area? - We have many wives join their husbands at our Regional event. 

If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to reach out to me.  865-310-9686

Thanks

Dan

Daniel Hisle Region 3 Director

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
  • Wm Cook
Wm Cook posted this 22 January 2024

Thanks Dan, that fills in most of the gaps.  I’m sure Piedmont will be a high success.  Bill.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 January 2024

Sorry to be so late with these corrections.

In Dan Hisle's answer to Bill Cook there a couple of errors. In the first paragraph Dan mentions that Pioneer Gun Club does not allow reloading in the clubhouse. Reloading is allowed and a few shooters usually can be found reloading in the clubhouse.

In the second paragraph it is stated that CBA rules do not allow removing a gun from the bench for cleaning. It is true that most cleaning is done at the shooting bench between target changes and up to 7 minutes after the target crew has left the range is allowed for cleaning. Of course most guns are removed from the benches for relay changes and some shooters clean then as well.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Carlson
Edward Camp posted this 08 March 2024

Just a quick note to clear up reloading at Pioneer.  Pioneer has always allowed reloading inside.  In fact, there is a special bench designed just for that on the left side as you enter the building.  Dan Hudson has always loaded in the "stat room" while he does computer entry.  Most of the shooters seem to enjoy reloading on the covered patio with the picnic benches that are there.  I have seen some reload on the shooting bench, as they were firing. 

Attached Files

Close