Origin of my .303x1.5 (.303 Pygmy)???

• Last Post 11 January 2024
JeffinNZ posted this 06 January 2024

Lately I have been churning through 'Rifle' magazine from issue #1 as leant to me by a senior club member.

In the Sept/oct 1979 edition there is an article by Gil Sengel about his wildcat .30-78 single shot cartridge.  Everything about the article leads me to believe that THIS was the inspiration for the late Derek Taylor who, with the help of a friend, built my Pygmy.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Hamish posted this 06 January 2024

Ok Jeff,

It’s been long enough that I’m going to have to go reread the early stuff on CB about the Pygmy to refresh my memory.  I DO recall that you’ve had a great deal of fun and used it to very good effect in the bush!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 January 2024

In the early 1970's there was a wildcat cast bullet cartridge call the 30 Johnson Special. It was basically a 30/30 case run into a 32/40 die to straighten the body and cut off at 1.6 inches. rim was left alone for single shots, or turned to 30/06 for bolt guns. Not many were made as at the time the only game it was shot in was schutzen. 

I own the original chamber reamer and throating reamer if anyone is interested to building a modern version. I also having loading data. Ed Harris has shot this rifle in the old days. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • mashburn
linoww posted this 07 January 2024

or this idea from the late 1940's by some obscure gunsmith...

Shorter neck but it's a short Krag case in .30 caliber. 

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 11 January 2024

I wish you guys, or anyone, would post more of this stuff about such calibers, I love it.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close