Lyman mold 457658

• Last Post 13 July 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
phfitz posted this 12 July 2023

Recently cast some Lyman 457658 (480gr PT) for my 45/70 C. Sharps rifle.  Seated with all grease grooves covered, and a mild crimp on upper band.  When chambering, it engaged the rifling by approx .300 inch.  Wasn't hard to chamber, thumb pressure only.  Loaded some more and seated the bullet all the way to top of upper band, same thing, engaged the rifling by about .250 inch.  Chambered with mild thumb pressure.  I'm not sure I want to shoot them with this much rifling engaged.  Anyone else have experience with this bullet?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Glenn R. Latham posted this 12 July 2023

I haven't tried that bullet, but engraving a cast lead bullet will not cause you pressure problems, if that was your concern.  For target shooting I find I generally get best accuracy with the bullet seated out as far as possible.  If you're shooting black powder and not wiping between shots, it might get harder to seat the cartridges the more you shoot.

Glenn

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 13 July 2023

Recently cast some Lyman 457658 (480gr PT) for my 45/70 C. Sharps rifle. Seated with all grease grooves covered, and a mild crimp on upper band. -  What powder?, What alloy", What lubricant?, What rifle?

When chambering, it engaged the rifling by approx. .300 inch. – Good start.

Wasn't hard to chamber, thumb pressure only. – Thumb pressure is okay.

Loaded some more and seated the bullet all the way to top of upper band, same thing, engaged the rifling by about .250 inch. – If using smokeless, be careful of too drastically decreasing the case volume.

Chambered with mild thumb pressure. - Thumb pressure is okay.

I'm not sure I want to shoot them with this much rifling engaged. – Many shooters have witness marks from the rifling. I like witness marks and seating into the lands on single shots. You’ll need to experiment, each rifle is a rule unto itself. For my lever actions and bolt action, feeding reliability is the first criterion.

Anyone else have experience with this bullet? – Not quite, close copy in a Hoch nose-pour mold. This shot accurately and flew well to 600 yards.

Also, Glenn is right. If shooting black powder, wipe between shots.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

phfitz posted this 13 July 2023

Thanks for replying.  Rifle is 45/70 C. Sharps, powder is Swiss 1.5 black powder, .030 card wad, alloy is Lyman #2, lube is SPG.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
phfitz posted this 13 July 2023

Glenn and Bud, thanks for replying.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 13 July 2023

Thanks for replying.  Rifle is 45/70 C. Sharps, powder is Swiss 1.5 black powder, .030 card wad, alloy is Lyman #2, lube is SPG. - Good rifle, you'll have hours of fun behind the buttplate. 

The load for my Sharps: W-W brass, 68.5 grains Swiss 1.5Fg, SAECO 1881 bullet sized .359 as cast, 25:1Pb/Sn alloy, .030 wad with a drop of olive oil on top, .060 wad under, SPG lubricant in all grooves, taper crimped.

I have other molds for this rifle, round-nose, flat-nose, semi-pointed and up to 540 grains, But the SAECO copy of the 1881 Government bullet is the one I get the best scores. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close