Lyman 311419 F/S

• Last Post 28 November 2023
WINCHESTER 71 posted this 09 November 2023

have a good 311419 gas check  1930's Australia bunny mold made by lyman...............look it up !!!!!!  $70 and postage..................PM ME if interested................

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
9.3X62AL posted this 11 November 2023

I love mine, a 2-cav of unknown age.  I run these at 1600 FPS from my CZ-52 on jackrabbits and ground squirrels, and at 1750 FPS from my 30 Carbine Blackhawk.  And LOUD?  Hijo la!

Mine won't cast fat enough for 32 H&R Mag or 327 Federal.  .311" and a few tenths is about as good as it gets in 92/6/2.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 11 November 2023

It is an early Lyman design from the late 1920's, and made to use in the Savage Model 23 32/20. 

I use them in my 7.62 x 25's, at crazy speeds, and tight bored 32 ACP's. They can be very accurate and non-leading with gas checks.

Attached Files

oldfartz posted this 22 November 2023

I`ll Take it !! Need  your info Thank You

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 November 2023

this is correct.I've had the mold for 30 years, great HV design. 

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

WINCHESTER 71 posted this 24 November 2023

oldfartz........sent you a pm...................been on the road .......will explain ....it's nuts!!!!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 November 2023

Interesting write up. Lyman family bought the remains of the Ideal Tool Company from Phineas Talcott in 1925. The Savage Model 23B, 32/20 was two years old and Savage had been loading the 80 jacketed hollow point for a couple of years. Lyman designs started with #400 so this was a very early addition to Ideal moulds. While they could not be loaded to the velocity of the 80 grain JHP, 2050 f/s, but easily to 1600 f/s and used less lead, important when shooting hundreds of rounds a day. 

Rabbits were introduced in 1859 and by the late 1940's about 600 million rabbits were in Australia. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
9.3X62AL posted this 25 November 2023

A little vignette concerning Lyman #311419......

In the mid-1990s I had a real thing for Soviet-era arms, especially 7.62 x 25 pistols.  CZ-52, Tokarev TT-30/33, Broomhandle Mauser.  Still have them, too.

In 1994, the National Park Service JACKED a huge tract of hunting area in the east Mojave Desert from BLM stewardship to form what is now the 'East Mojave National Preserve'.  The rules about access and hunting were in flux for a while, and c. 1995's quail season this status remained up in the air. 

Three guys from work and myself were working the Sacramento Wash area (now east of the Preserve boundaries) and the quail had been staying away by the hundreds.  What WAS in abundance were jackrabbits, and shotguns make the taking of jacks no sport at all.  Rifles and sidearms are the sporting ticket.  We returned to the trucks and swapped tooling for jacks.

My chosen arm for this morning was my C-96 Mauser loaded with castings (#311419 @ 1200 FPS).  Anyone familiar with Broomhandles will attest that their intrinsic accuracy is casual at best.  My partners were having WAY TOO MUCH FUN mad-dogging me with remarks like "Al is dating the Dragon Lady again--he has her pistol!"  They were and are a hard lot. 

IIRC I nailed 4 or 5 jacks with the Broomer that morning and afternoon.  The flatnose #311419 did a number on those tough jacks when it did connect.  My batting average that day was likely in the low .100s, but this was 28 years ago--so the facts might alter things.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
mashburn posted this 26 November 2023

Hello RicinYakima,

It was interesting that you mentioned the 80gr. jacketed hollow point 32-20 cartridges. I was going through and re-arranging some ammo a couple of weeks ago and found a full box of these 80gr jacketed hollow point rounds. They are Remington brand.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 November 2023

As a 32/20 fan, I have researched a lot of things over the years. Remington didn't go to high power 32/20 ammo until they made their own non-corrosive "Kleenbore" primers about 1928 for center fire. In the 1960's they quit making lead ammo and went to all jacketed 32/20. The problem was they were so lightly loaded many would stick in the barrel and then another bullet shot behind it. By the 1970's they had dropped all of the "HISpeed" loads and loaded only a 100 grain lead bullet at about 600 f/s. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 26 November 2023

Hello RicinYakima,

Believe me, I know what you mean, when you are talking about the later production of Remington 32-20 ammo.  Do you have any idea, as to the latest date, that my 80gr. Jacketed HP Remington ammo could have been made. From the price marked on the box, I can get a pretty good idea of manufacture time, but not for certain.

It's always good to find another 32-20 fan. I've been shooting 32-20 rifles and handguns, since the early 60's.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 November 2023

My guess would be the mid 1960's. At one time they only loaded the 100 grain jacketed bullet, but had so many complaints with them sticking in the barrel they finally dropped it. By the mid 1980's they only loaded the swaged 100 grain bullet. IIRC

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
9.3X62AL posted this 26 November 2023

I an another fan of the 32/20 WCF, both in revolvers and rifles.  The first handgun I fired as a youngster was a 32/20--a Colt Bisley x 4-3/4".  It resides in my safe and gets a range day from time to time.  Its friends in the safe are a S&W M&P x 5" and a Colt Army Special x 5".  The current long gun is a 2004-made Marlin 1894CCL with full-length magazine tube and hex barrel--it is a tackdriver (for a levergun).  I have owned and sold a Marlin 1894CL from the late 1980s as well. 

Once Starline began making brass for 32/20 WCF my W-W and R-P hulls went to the scrapyard.  I have used very few jacketed bullets in my 32/20 arms--just the Speer 100 grain HPs in the first Marlin, which did all right.  Lyman #311316 has ben my go-to rifle bullet in this caliber, my mold drops at .314"+ so it's a good fit in the newer Marlin's throat @ .313" sizing.  #311419 barely makes .311", so it's a no-go in the rifle.    

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 28 November 2023

The first 32-20 rifle that I fired was an early production Model 92 Winchester. It has been handed down through a few generations of my family members. I enjoyed shooting it for several years and now, I have passed it on to my oldest son. The rifle is pictured in my son's book, an autobiography titled, "The Real Rooster Cogburn." There was originally an old Colt Thunderer, that went with this rifle from the beginning, but it got into the hands of the wrong family members, and it disappeared. After the book was published, we received numerous e-mails from people saying, they had this revolver and trying to sell it, there was no way of knowing if any of these people were legit, but there can't be more than one,right. Also, the old colt that was used in the 4th of July picnic shooting also turned up and of course it was for sale. Some people will do anything for money.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close