Lube purge?

• Last Post 18 September 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
Glenn R. Latham posted this 15 September 2023

Had an "interesting" flyer at the CBA Nationals.  Actually I had a lot of "flyers" but we won't go there.  This one must be telling us something.  I was shooting along, satisfied with the building group, when the 9th shot went out left.  The prevailing wind was from about 2:00 so that's not too surprising, however what was surprising was the dark hole down low in the orange ring.  I didn't even see it until I was checking my targets on the "wailing wall."  My tunnel vision didn't even notice the low shot when I was shooting.  I didn't see the 7th or 8th shot, but figured it just doubled another hole.

You can see the low flyer is a very dark hole, compared to the rest of the group.  Bud Hyett suggested it might be a lube purging flyer.  The lube was M&N, no longer available.  Years ago Andy Barniskis said it "looked, smelled and tasted like a mix of beeswax and STP oil treatment."  That's not what it was, as it went out of production because the maker couldn't get one of the ingredients anymore.  The load was a hot one, 28 grs. of RL-7 under a 185 gr. Hoch bullet cast of linotype.  Velocity is 1950 fps.  Rife a pre-'64 Winchester M-70 in 30-06.  I've shot a number of 10-shot groups under 1" with it, so it's a known accurate load, but it was beating me up.  I'm not going to shoot it anymore for benchrest!

Any thoughts?

Glenn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 15 September 2023

For me, I've noted that the first hole is usually darker.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 September 2023

notcher shot ... i could count 11 holes if i needed to ...  backers active ?

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
RicinYakima posted this 16 September 2023

I agree with Ken, it may not be your shot but a crossfire shot. Too bad backers weren't running. 

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 16 September 2023

Moving backers were in operation.  There were 2 sighters on the sighter target before I went to the record target.  I don't clean very often during a match if the load is clean shooting, as this one is. 

I find the first shot from a clean bore is much lighter colored than following shots.

Glenn

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 18 September 2023

One advantage of powder coated bullets is that you don't have to worry about lube purging.

However,  IIRC, powder coated bullets are not allowed in National Matches, correct?

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 18 September 2023

One advantage of powder coated bullets is that you don't have to worry about lube purging.

However,  IIRC, powder coated bullets are not allowed in National Matches, correct?

You would be mistaken. From our rules:

4.1 Cast Bullet – A projectile made of lead or lead alloy which has received its basic form by being cast of molten metal in a mold rather than being formed in a die. Except in the Plain Base Bullet class, a gas check having a sidewall height of no more than 0.10” may be attached to the base. Enlarging or reducing a cast bullet by bumping or swaging is permitted. Surface treatments of bullets with materials similar to lee Liquid Alox, Molybdenum disulfide (Moly), paper, paint, and Teflon tape are permitted. Polymer coating by liquid or powder methods is also permitted except in Plain Base Bullet Class. Metallic coverings such as jackets or plating are not permitted.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Shuz posted this 18 September 2023

Thanks, Mark! I move forward with my .250 Savage and the powder coated Saeco 25-100.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
  • Bud Hyett
Close