Lube or powder coated 357

• Last Post 3 days ago
2frogs posted this 2 weeks ago

I'm using the 358251 I think. Thomson bullet with gas check. Bhn of 9 to 12. In my SW 686 revolver and Rossi. Can't make up my mind if lube is better than powder coated. Both shoot pretty good. What do you use. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

358158 mold. Sorry for the typos

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 2 weeks ago

9 out of 10 agree that lube is best.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Thanks for the reply. I did powder coated a few today.. need to load and test fire..

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 2 weeks ago

I used lubed bullets all the way up to full power loads. Never had an issue, even with softer bullets. Accuracy is good.

Attached Files

Sounds good. I shoot mainly lubed in my 357 revolver. Got some 125 lee I want to dry. I powder coated them.. want to try in my Rossi 92 as well .

Attached Files

stevebarrett posted this 2 weeks ago

For 357 Magnum I shot 9 targets of 12 shots each with Alox-coated bullets, and the same with powder-coated, with a 8¼-inch barrel Smith & Wesson revolver in a Ransom rest. 

The Alox-coated group size averaged 1.8 times bigger than the powder-coated. It wasn't really the result I was hoping for because powder coating is obviously more work than Alox coating.

Attached Files

Fwit. I'm going to ditch the powder coating and stick with the lube. As long as I am using gas check I might as well just lube... appreciate the replies..

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 2 weeks ago

I'm way too old school to even consider powder coating bullets. However, I do like to read about the efforts and results that others put themselves through, to dive into that pool, often reported here. Being retired, my schedule is active enough that I sometimes think I'm lucky to have some range time and won't impact that by adding more loading bench time to chase the "perfect load"...which doesn't exist.

Yesterday I met two friends for lunch. The range was along the route to home. So I stopped on the way home to shoot my S&W Model 25 in 45 Auto Rim, trying out some Tite Group for the first time. (The results are another story.) But....there was a group of (3) other shooters alternating between shooting and talking, and being outdoors enjoying the sunny 55 degree Minnesota April day. Good use of their time!

I did stop at Cabells's looking for some 4227 powder. No one-pounders but (1) 8-pound jug for $365 or about $45/pound. So maybe about to be expected for today's market.

Tom

Attached Files

Buttersdad posted this 4 days ago

I have a Taurus  model 627 Tracker in 357 Magnum that I started using with Alox lubed pills and had trouble with accuracy due to heavy leading. I switched to powder coating and I have better accuracy overall and no leading since.

Attached Files

beemer posted this 3 days ago

I powder coat a pistol and rifle bullets and shoot lubed bullets as well. PC is just like any other load change, some do better, some worse and some no difference. Another variable is me, I cant shoot like I did 40 years ago so maybe I cant tell either way.

I have used it to increase the dia. of a bullet. That is a big advantage but sometimes it makes the nose too large. I have two molds that look alike loaded so I color code them. I like to PC ammo that might be left in a hot car because it cant melt and foul the powder. It does make a clean bullet that does not attract dirt.

I am not a high volume shooter but really like tinkering around with different things. Time difference in lubing and coating make no difference to me. It's another tool or toy in my box that sometimes is needed or not. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Dave

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Close