Laflin & Rand US Springfield 45 Caliber Smokeless Powder

• Last Post 07 February 2023
Bryan Austin posted this 07 February 2023

Looks like a service charge of 22gr, gallery charge between 8gr to 10gr.

I have been trying to figure out if this "Springfield 45" is the same powder as "Sharpshooter". A while back I starting searching but became a bit exhausted. I have run across a few reports of Laflin & Rand .45 Caliber smokeless powder and wondered if they were referring to either Sharpshooter or US Springfield 45. I have no idea if the powder is the same.

L&R Sharpshooter was also known as .45 Cal. Springfield Smokeless, and made specifically for the Springfield .45 rifle (45-70). It was introduced in 1897 and was not discontinued until 1948. It consisted of perforated black discs .08” dia. X .015”, with 40% NG. This powder also had a second type produced under influence from DuPont between 1903 and 1914. It also consisted of small black perforated discs .08” dia. X .022”, but with 30% NG. Sharpshooter #2 was made with the same formula as W-A 30, but with a different granulation. A 6-1/2 pound can originally cost $7.75, or $1.20 per pound. Ten to twenty two grains could be used with a 405 or 500 grain bullet, with twenty grains the standard load. It had a burning speed somewhere between Blue Dot and 2400. ~Klaus Neuschaefer 2007

C. F.G. Armstrong writes us as follows: “ I saw in the last issue of SHOOTING AND FISHING scores shot by me at the Marion, N. J., rifle range Oct. 5, one being mentioned as being shot in the prone position . This is a mistake. All the shooting was done offhand with a Remington- Lee military rifle without wind gauge. The cartridges were loaded with 8 grains of Laflin & Rand .45 caliber smokeless powder and the Hudson bullet, which weighed 160 grains. At the time of this shooting a very strong wind was blowing, but to me this made the shooting particularly interesting. This charge is regarded by some as a toy charge, but I believe it shoots better than any fixed ammunition on the market at the present time, regardless of caliber. Surely the Laflin & Rand Powder Co. is giving us an excellent powder." 

October 31, 1901

REDUCED .30-40 LOADS . - ADDITIONAL NOTES.

As several shooters have reported some trouble with the 11 grain load of Laflin & Rand.45 caliber tubular powder in the .30-40 cartridge, which gave us such good results last year, I have recently made a few additional experiments with my bullet and the special alloy devised for it.The trouble only seems to be that the later batches of this powder possess higher ballistic qualities, so that a load which was  all right for the earlier lot is now to great.To those who have had trouble, I would say cutting down the load from 11 grains to 10, 9, or even 8 grains, will remove the difficulty , some guns permitting more than others. ~C. F. G. Armstrong

Here again the powder may have been used in the Colt New Service during competition shooting in 1901.
Also interesting is an unknown to me Ideal 429215 44 caliber 205gr lead bullet. Today, Lyman's 429215 is a 225gr (I think) SWC.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Shopdog
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ten-mile posted this 07 February 2023

I have an Ideal Anderton mould.  Maybe I should cast some up and try the 100-shot challenge.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • Bryan Austin
Bryan Austin posted this 07 February 2023

Am I to assume this powder/bullet was used in the 44 Russian cartridge in 1901 by handloaders, which was chambered in the Colt New Service?

Attached Files

Close